Amtrak derailment in Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrak derailment in Washington

South of Tacoma, train derailed on a bridge over I-5 during the Monday morning commute. Three passengers killed.

I don't know if any of you have heard the audio of the train conductor reporting the derailment to dispatch. The BNSF dispatcher on that audio is a family member of mine. He dispatches the North Centralia section for BNSF. Apparently he isn't allowed to discuss the accident per NTSB procedures, so I haven't heard anything about it from him, but it was wild to hear his voice on the national news (some of whom identified him as a 911 operator).
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

I have taken the Portland to Seattle train a few times, and my mother in law has probably ridden it 20 or more. I recognized the overpass from the pictures. apparently it was a new section of track, possibly the first train to take the route. very sad news.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The train was making its first run over a new route, and apparently was doing 70-80 mph in a zone designed for 30 mph.

Comment

Working...
      X