The Last Jedi: Discussoin / SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Jedi: Discussoin / SPOILERS

A place for those of us who have seen it to discuss.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!
    Last edited by virgonomic; 12-18-2017, 07:25 PM. Reason: Fix typo in title

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

I was underwhelmed. There were some cool visuals, but there were a bunch of plotlines that went in different directions and ended up nowhere.

Rey/Kylo: I liked Kylo Ren ditching the helmet. It showed how much influence Snoke had over him. I liked the suspense of Kylo/Rey being connected and Rey not being afraid of the dark side. When Snoke tricked her into going to Kylo, I thought she would turn. Then, one of them kills Snoke (who had not even been developed as a character) and they join forces in an epic lightsaber battle. For me, this was the climax. But then, Rey flees, and Kylo is dark again! Not even the WWE pulls off double-turns that fast!

The Rebels AGAIN plan to sneak aboard the First Order ship and it's an epic fail. Then Luke pulls off the mother of all Jedi mind tricks, turning himself into a hologram, distracting the First Order and dying.

The Rebels are going forward with about 20 fighters and a kid who has the Force.

In Episode IX, I'm not sure Chewie and the droids can carry the torch, but they are the only alumni left. Disney has signed on to make three more movies after that, but I'm not sure how interested I will be.

Comment

Thanks for creating the thread, you're the man.

I, too, was underwhelmed. In fact, after somewhere around the 90-110 minute mark I was horribly depressed.

I thought the scenes with Luke Skywalker up to that point were awful. It may be that Mark Hamill cannot act without a lightsaber in his hand. Seriously, I thought his scenes had a different director than the rest of the movie.

The humor, imo, just wasn't funny. My son explained there was a conscious effort to avoid making this a "dark" film. Okay. Mission accomplished.

But my biggest problem with the first 60% or so of the movie was that it didn't seem to have any focus. I kept asking myself "what the f***?" I got the impression they shot something like 600 hours of film with hundreds of characters and they just hated to waste any of it. Yoda? Really? "Making an awkward cameo, I will be!" The critters on Luke's time-share island?

I will admit my personal crush on Laura Dern, so she could do no wrong. But the light-speed ramming was so predictable I whispered it to my wife when they first started firing on the transports. (She got pissed off at me.)

The last hour or so redeemed it to some extent. I really liked the way they foreshadowed the astral projection bit by showing their feet when they were squaring up to fight. The wife didn't get that Kylie Minogue was leaving scrapes in the salt and Luke was like a ghost, not leaving a mark.

Finn was good, but way too gung ho for a lifetime Imperial drone or whatever. I think he would be a little more chill.

Rey was badass when she got hip to the force.

Good to see Carrie in her final film role.

Sorry to ramble. Overall I was disappointed at the time, but as I think back over it, it wasn't that bad. I think I would like it a lot better going in without all the hype and expectations. The theater was packed. I would say the reception was very good. Not a standing ovation afterwards, but a good bit of applause. A fair amount of applause after Laura Dern zips through the dreadnought.

More views?
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Should have called it Spaceballs 2 or Carry On Star Wars

Whose brain dead idea was it to use the hyper drive as a weapon ... so all you have to do to destroy a capital ship is hyper drive a lump of metal into it. So dumb. How do you continue from that? Why didn't they just hyper drive into the Death Star?

The Story of Po

[x] willing to sacrifice countless lives and scarce resources to destroy a single First order starship
        [x] commits treason and mutiny in order to follow a hairbrained scheme to find an unknown hacker in a gambling den, then bring the hacker back through hyper space, then sneak on the lead star destroyer, then disable the tracking device blah blah blah
        [x] runs like a little girl when attacking the hairdryer thing at the end

Almost the entire resistance was just wiped out ... thousands dead ... no-one answered the call for help ... and the dozen survivors at the end were running around high fiving.

Will be awesome when the Empire / First Order / Whatever discover radar ... unless the millennium Falcon is invisible or something.

I really didn't think that this reboot could possibly be worse than the prequels, but Rogue One apart, these first 2 movies have been horrible.
        Last edited by johnnya24; 12-19-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Should have called it Spaceballs 2 or Carry On Star Wars

Whose brain dead idea was it to use the hyper drive as a weapon ... so all you have to do to destroy a capital ship is hyper drive a lump of metal into it. So dumb. How do you continue from that? Why didn't they just hyper drive into the Death Star?

The Story of Po

[x] willing to sacrifice countless lives and scarce resources to destroy a single First order starship
          [x] commits treason and mutiny in order to follow a hairbrained scheme to find an unknown hacker in a gambling den, then bring the hacker back through hyper space, then sneak on the lead star destroyer, then disable the tracking device blah blah blah
          [x] runs like a little girl when attacking the hairdryer thing at the end

Almost the entire resistance was just wiped out ... thousands dead ... no-one answered the call for help ... and the dozen survivors at the end were running around high fiving.

Will be awesome when the Empire / First Order / Whatever discover radar ... unless the millennium Falcon is invisible or something.

I really didn't think that this reboot could possibly be worse than the prequels, but Rogue One apart, these first 2 movies have been horrible.
          I really liked The Force Awakens. I thought it did a good job of introducing the new characters and passing the torch. I loved all the nostalgia - crashed Star Destroyers and AT-ATs in the desert, the Falcon in the junkyard, the droids, Han and Chewie, Leia and Luke.

I was surprised Leia was in the entire movie. I just read that they had shot all her scenes before she died.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            I really liked The Force Awakens. I thought it did a good job of introducing the new characters and passing the torch. I loved all the nostalgia - crashed Star Destroyers and AT-ATs in the desert, the Falcon in the junkyard, the droids, Han and Chewie, Leia and Luke.

I was surprised Leia was in the entire movie. I just read that they had shot all her scenes before she died.
            I understand this is the preferred practice.

I didn't get the bit where she flew to safety, but then my son explained to me that she just used a "force pull" on the ship. Since the mass of the vessel was so great, the force pull actually moved her toward it. Makes perfect sense.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I liked it. With the caveat that it is a Star Wars movie so suspend some belief on what actions should happen. Finn & Rose about to be killed and all of a sudden everyone is dead except the two of them. Then silver storm trooper, who was 10 feet away, is now walking towards them with other storm troopers. You just have to accept those things and root for the good guys to beat the bad guys or for the good guys to escape sure death. I did think Leia would be the one to go at the end of the movie with Luke by her side and that Luke would disappear early in the next film.

Comment

my nitpick was with the lightspeed attack, should have probably done that with the other capital ships, eh?
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I just realized that Han is dead, Luke is dead, and Leia for all intents is dead (as Carrie Fisher is dead). Basically the new cast has 1 movie to save the day
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    I just realized that Han is dead, Luke is dead, and Leia for all intents is dead (as Carrie Fisher is dead). Basically the new cast has 1 movie to save the day
                    Yep, as I mentioned, Chewie and the droids are carrying the torch. Though Luke could come back as a ghost a la Yoda.

Comment

you really miss the humor between han and chewie. like in the force awakens when chewie says something outside and han is like you're cold!?

the best moments were with chewie and the little muppets he was hanging out with. they were pretty cute.

Comment

Watched it lst night and I came away feeling that they really did Luke wrong in this movie. LIke probably some of you, I grew up with Luke as the hero of the best movie series of my youth. I dreamed of being Luke Skywalker. Now he's a whiny annoying hermit throwing out one-liners and finally pulling a magic trick and then poof he's dead and gone. Pretty unimpressive for one of the few all-redeeming characters of this franchise.

As far as the movie, I was entertained, but it didnt hold a candle to the originals to me. My 9 year old enjoyed it thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          Watched it lst night and I came away feeling that they really did Luke wrong in this movie. LIke probably some of you, I grew up with Luke as the hero of the best movie series of my youth. I dreamed of being Luke Skywalker. Now he's a whiny annoying hermit throwing out one-liners and finally pulling a magic trick and then poof he's dead and gone. Pretty unimpressive for one of the few all-redeeming characters of this franchise.

As far as the movie, I was entertained, but it didnt hold a candle to the originals to me. My 9 year old enjoyed it thoroughly.
                          Just saw something about Luke being very unhappy with the script and his direction. That may be part of what I was sensing when I was watching his scenes.

I really, really wanted to love it. I still plan to see it again after some time has passed.

Comment

my wife made the comment last night that "nothing happened", she's basically right

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              my wife made the comment last night that "nothing happened", she's basically right
                              That's it. That was the first 90 minutes or so. Soap opera in space.

Comment

Working...
                              X