NYC junkies visit advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC junkies visit advice

I'm going to be in New York City early next week for 2-3 days. I'm staying in Midtown. My time is limited. What should I see? Either iconic NYC stuff or lesser known but worthwhile things. Museums? Times Square? Etc. I've never been to New York.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

So much to see and do in NYC, it is impossible to make a dent in just a couple of days. My advice would be not to try to do too much, but to simply focus of the few things you have always wanted to see and do. Take the time to enjoy those things.

If you like museums, I can affirm from experience that the Met, Moma, the Natural History Museum, the Frick, and the Cloisters are all great. I'm not religious, but the old churches are just stunning works of architecture. I'd visit one, like St. John's, the biggest, if you appreciate old architecture. I'd also see a broadway show (if I were going, I'd have to try to see Hamilton) and try to score a reservation at a quality restaurant--so many options.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-12-2017, 01:20 AM.

Comment

If it's nice out, the High Line (they converted an old elevated train track to a park)
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Go see the Astros kick the shit out of the Yankees....hopefully.

Also, don't listen to MJ when he tells you to go to Foley's. It's just a bar, Jason. Just a bar.

Sour Masher is right - in 2-3 days it can be overwhelming. You mentioned Times Square. Times Square is an absolute shitshow with an absurd amount of people but for someone who has never been to NY, you could see it for 5 minutes and then run like hell. If you want to do a show, which is a good idea, you can go to the TKTS booth which is in Times Square and get discounted tickets. Then you could kill two birds with one stone.

Second the High Line if it's nice out.

I would also go to the World Trade Center memorial. The pools are beautiful and you get a feel for how big these buildings were by the footprint of the towers.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
          Go see the Astros kick the shit out of the Yankees....hopefully.

Also, don't listen to MJ when he tells you to go to Foley's. It's just a bar, Jason. Just a bar.

Sour Masher is right - in 2-3 days it can be overwhelming. You mentioned Times Square. Times Square is an absolute shitshow with an absurd amount of people but for someone who has never been to NY, you could see it for 5 minutes and then run like hell. If you want to do a show, which is a good idea, you can go to the TKTS booth which is in Times Square and get discounted tickets. Then you could kill two birds with one stone.

Second the High Line if it's nice out.

I would also go to the World Trade Center memorial. The pools are beautiful and you get a feel for how big these buildings were by the footprint of the towers.
          We were there in May & did both the High Line & World Trade Centre memorial. These are excellent suggestions for a short stay. I've also taken the Staten Island ferry there & back, not to see Staten Island but to see the city from the water.

I'd also give yourself time to just wander.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

looks as if by Monday afternoon, you're looking at sun and highs of 65 to 69 degrees during your stay. perfect, but bring a good jacket for the evenings!

if you like to walk, you can go from Times Square north to Central Park and pass a million landmarks in between (including St. Patrick's Cathedral, Tiffany's, and well, Trump Tower). yes, Times Square is a tourist trap and hold onto your valuables, but the whole world visits.

the New York Botanical Gardens is in, well, The Bronx and is beyond spectacular. most underrated spot in NYC - possibly even this late in the year. The Bronx Zoo is extraordinary as well.

Circle Line is a boat ride around lower Manhattan including that little thing called the Statue of Liberty. just do the "half" one, presumably - the full one gets you up to the UN, but north of that and all the way around the island, the tour guides are mostly just killing time with trivia as there isn't as much to see in northern Manhattan (relatively speaking). and yes, the Staten Island Ferry also works and it's free iirc

good luck!
            Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-12-2017, 10:40 AM.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              We were there in May & did both the High Line & World Trade Centre memorial. These are excellent suggestions for a short stay. I've also taken the Staten Island ferry there & back, not to see Staten Island but to see the city from the water.

I'd also give yourself time to just wander.
              Yes, I would not recommend going to see Staten Island. Unless he's scouting the Staten Island Yankees for some trade that we'll find out about in a few weeks.

Comment

I would really like to revisit the 21 Club. Great food and ambiance.

I have not been to Radio City Music Hall, but I would really like to see it.

This post and the suggestions have made we want to visit it with my wife. I think that should be a plan for later this year or next year.

Comment

Do you guys have any suggestions for Hotels?

Comment

For me, just being there was neat. I've lived in Houston, College Station, and Dallas my entire life so its a big shock to go to NYC, but in a good way. Riding the subway was fun to me.

I'd check out central park, WTC memorial, times square, get some pizza, just enjoy being there.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Do you guys have any suggestions for Hotels?
                      Where would you like staying in chicago? there is a huge range of scenes at NYC hotels - many of them have tiny room with cool lobbies or tiny lobbies with bigger rooms

like this is a groovy place (check out room size - WOW - http://www.nycparamount.com/rooms-an...oadway-classic) - but I prefer the older brother - the Royalton

Comment

walk as much as possible or travel to a non times square neighborhood and walk

I am still a big fan of the high line

Comment

Another vote for the high line.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Lots of good suggestions. I appreciate it.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

two things about hotels in NYC:

- are you ok with the prices?

- do you want to SLEEP in NYC, or just spend 10 am to 10 pm there? if the latter, you can stay in a town like Secaucus, NJ, walk outside the hotel to take a short bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel, and be back in the heart of midtown Manhattan in no time (same goes for Hoboken and Jersey City with multiple transportation alternatives; they tend to be in the price points between Secaucus and Manhattan but have more local cachet. Secaucus is more suburban with an insane amount of clothing outlet stores).

Mrs Howie has relatives from Indiana who liked the sound of it - and loved the result, especially saving hundreds on room costs during their stay. for them, it was a great choice.

that said, NYC really is the city that never sleeps, so if you want to be amazed at how many people are awake and sober at 2 am (not all of them but still), go for it. though in midtown, if an ambulance siren and honking would rattle you or you don't want to take a sleeping aid, keep that in mind.

I would consider Priceline or something similar re midtown, and see how much rooms in your target zones have gone for recently. by now, I think they have pretty well settled in the proper tiers for hotels - and all you'll do is crash there anyway.

there's no right answer to the question of "do you want to wake up in a calmer environment and build to each exciting day, or do you want to roll right out of bed and immediately be in the heart of the action?"

(I assume Seitzer ain't paying, so this doesn't apply to him!)

well, there is one right answer: if you even THINK of renting a car in Manhattan, I will take your children away. it's insanely expensive, but more importantly insane. it's a great walking city with extensive subway service and more taxi/Uber etc than anywhere. you'd be begging for a $250 ticket for violating some obscure violation you didn't even know existed.
                              Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-12-2017, 05:57 PM.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X