The RACE card!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RACE card!!

My city just hired a City Administrator. White female. The African American council member is irate because he feels not enough was done to get the position advertised where minorities (African Americans) would have access to the posting. WTF? Everyone had equal access to the posting.

It's not like the posting was on some website like whitesonly.com with a secret password to obtain access.

He didn't really explain himself as to where it should have been posted to allow more minorities to access the posting itself.

I'm confused.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Where do you live again Mith?
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Where do you live again Mith?
      SW PA - Town of about 7500 - Monessen
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It's pretty common around here, especially with government job comps, to post to a variety of job boards including diversity & disability oriented ones. It may seem trivial but it does contribute to building a more inclusive culture in the workplace.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I grew up in Bethel Park, PA... man that was a long long time ago.

Assuming that equal opportunity to post for the position was provided, then said council member may need to further define the concerns. Alternately, someone should explain what the hiring and posting process is to him, and explain that equal opportunity - generally means that all people are provided an equal opportunity to apply. It does not mean that the person hired must be from some minority class.

This coming from a white sysgendered male, who will soon be over 50........
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            I grew up in Bethel Park, PA... man that was a long long time ago.

Assuming that equal opportunity to post for the position was provided, then said council member may need to further define the concerns. Alternately, someone should explain what the hiring and posting process is to him, and explain that equal opportunity - generally means that all people are provided an equal opportunity to apply. It does not mean that the person hired must be from some minority class.

This coming from a white sysgendered male, who will soon be over 50........
            Wow! I don't get to Bethel Park that often.

Comment

Yep - I grew up when the Steelers and Pirates were at the top of the heap. We moved in the fall of 1979 - "We are Family" season.

Those were simpler times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                My city just hired a City Administrator. White female. The African American council member is irate because he feels not enough was done to get the position advertised where minorities (African Americans) would have access to the posting. WTF? Everyone had equal access to the posting.

It's not like the posting was on some website like whitesonly.com with a secret password to obtain access.

He didn't really explain himself as to where it should have been posted to allow more minorities to access the posting itself.

I'm confused.
                If you are simply venting frustration at what you felt was an irrational complaint by the council member, then we feel your pain. If you are asking for a meaningful response as to the issue he raised, it would help if you told us how or where the job was posted.
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                  If you are simply venting frustration at what you felt was an irrational complaint by the council member, then we feel your pain. If you are asking for a meaningful response as to the issue he raised, it would help if you told us how or where the job was posted.
                  I have no idea everywhere it was posted. This is from the newspaper article :

Foreman said the job was properly advertised on multiple websites, including Indeed.com.

“When we solicited for job seekers, we hired purely based on experience, qualifications and skill set,” Foreman said.

“So we followed the guidelines for civil rights and equal opportunities, and it was a blind advertisement?” Nestor asked.

“Yes. It always is,” Foreman said. “We used professional websites and sought professional candidates because this is not a starting-level position.”

Comment

I don't remember how many people in Mith's city. In cities of considerable size, it is common to retain a professional company to recruit chief executives such as city manager or city administrator. These companies will typically make certain that candidates on a regional or national basis are made aware of the opportunity. One reason for using such a company is to make certain that the pool of potential candidates is diverse.

"Foreman" doesn't say which professional websites were used to advertise the position. Indeed.com certainly isn't geared toward municipal management, which is a very specialized field. "Nestor" and Forman seem to be talking past each other. The question is not whether hiring criteria were correctly applied. The issue Mith has raised is whether recruitment criteria was correctly used.

I could fashion a recruitment program which would look neutral on the surface but would be likely to produce almost exclusively white candidates. Or I could fashion one which would be designed to promote the recruitment of more of a mixture of races. I'm guessing that most city officials who had little or no training in recruitment, without intending to be biased either way, would naturally come up with the former. It might be very hard to tell the difference between the two from a glance.

So, there are still not enough facts here to evaluate the City's efforts to recruit potential black candidates, or whether such candidates had equal access to the job listings.
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

seriously... was the city councilman trying to make some political hay out of this... probably, but why is the response always incredulous denial? How about, we followed current city policy, but if you do not feel that we are reaching a diverse candidate pool, we can review our recruiting policies, and with your input, perhaps there are ways we can improve our search process.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        seriously... was the city councilman trying to make some political hay out of this... probably, but why is the response always incredulous denial? How about, we followed current city policy, but if you do not feel that we are reaching a diverse candidate pool, we can review our recruiting policies, and with your input, perhaps there are ways we can improve our search process.
                        He is just a fucking moron. Mag7, your thoughts?

Comment

This would be excellent advice. It would defuse the situation and tend to disarm the critics. It wouldn't admit having done anything improper, but would reach out to people with new ideas and perspectives. The new employee wouldn't come in under a cloud of controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                            This would be excellent advice. It would defuse the situation and tend to disarm the critics. It wouldn't admit having done anything improper, but would reach out to people with new ideas and perspectives. The new employee wouldn't come in under a cloud of controversy.
                            or you can go the "fuckin' moron" route...

careful mith, you might get sued.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

or you can go the "fuckin' moron" route...

careful mith, you might get sued.
                              heh, nice one ... yeah, you'd think calling a city councillor a "fucking moron" on a publicly accessible internet forum could be slanderous ... I think I read that somewhere ...
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X