Hurricane Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Harvey

Anyone here likely to be impacted? Sounds like a crazy amount of rain with this one, serious flooding expected.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

We are expecting 3+ inches of rain. There has been a run on bottle water and such and this is 150+ miles inland.

The Houston area is bracing two or more feet of rain, in addition to the storm surge. The major petro-chemical and pipeline areas have been battening all week.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

yeow, take care. I just saw this graphic indicating that it's basically going to stall once it reaches landfall ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Expecting a lot of rain here, 15-20 inches over the next 5-6 days. I'm far enough inland I don't expect the wind impact to be that bad even if the storm makes its way across the Houston metro early-to-mid next week as currently predicted. But I'm not really planning on going out of the house much for the next several days and am prepared for loss of power.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          Expecting a lot of rain here, 15-20 inches over the next 5-6 days. I'm far enough inland I don't expect the wind impact to be that bad even if the storm makes its way across the Houston metro early-to-mid next week as currently predicted. But I'm not really planning on going out of the house much for the next several days and am prepared for loss of power.
          Please check in sporadically, or I'll be texting you for updates
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I'm here, heye... and feeling full after a DiGiorono's pizza...
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
              I'm here, heye... and feeling full after a DiGiorono's pizza...
              not sure if you are teasing over me being concerned about seitzer or trying to piss me off by calling DiGiorno's Pizza.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

You prefer Red Baron?
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

There's a spare bedroom here in Denton.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                    There's a spare bedroom here in Denton.
                    I appreciate the offer. My house is a good 30 feet above river/lake level and about a mile from the nearest bayou. I expect some street flooding, but my house sits about 6-7 feet above the street, so I'm not worried about that. Current worry is how to entertain four children for multiple days inside one house. Something tells me they aren't going to be starting school on Monday morning as planned.

Power outages are the main worry here, but we have a neighbor with a generator if worse comes to worst.

I can't imagine what it's like in Port Aransas and Rockport right now. Port A is a favorite vacation spot for us. Hard to the imagine the destruction there. Hopefully everyone is evacuated and it's just property being destroyed.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

We had an inch of rain here yesterday, and about 5 inches so far today. Most of that fell overnight, and we had a break this morning, but there's another heavy rain band on its way through now. So far the bayous are handling everything, but it can't keep doing that for multiple days.

Comment

We had an inch of rain here yesterday, and about 5 inches so far today. Most of that fell overnight, and we had a break this morning, but there's another heavy rain band on its way through now. So far the bayous are handling everything, but it can't keep doing that for multiple days.
                        Stay safe, and keep updating us...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

We only have about an inch so far, but the forecast is for 3"-6" more before the storm dies. One county south is where it starts getting bad. The direction of the storm track will tell a lot. Most maps show a northward track, between us and Houston. However, there is a large high pressure dome that could push it back out to sea, which would be really bad. At sea it can reintensify.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The rain picked up again at sundown last night and during the night it was raining hard pretty much up until morning. Just light rain now. We got an additional 7-8" overnight, for a total of about 12-13 inches so far over the last 36 hours. There is no flooding at my house but a lot of people are in bad shape. Downtown and south Houston have gotten 15-30 inches.

Power is still on at my house. I don't know if that will continue. More rain is expected today, another 5-10 inches, and more rain every day for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X