Furnishing a Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnishing a Home

I know this might sound strange, but I am going to be furnishing a 2bd apt from the ground up end of June. Everything, from furniture, to electronics, kitchenware--Everything. I've looked at some furniture stores, but there seems to be two types-- High priced and higher priced. I want decent stuff, but don't need, nor want uber elite things. I know Craig's list is a way to go, but most of the stuff there seems worn and seeing as I'm pretty much starting quite a bit in my life from scratch, I'd like this to be all new gear.

Does anyone here have some suggestions, maybe some online places I don't know about? I don't want to spend more than 10K on the whole shebang.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Doig.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

If price is a concern have you looked at Ikea? I know people here, like Bhob have trashed them but for the price they are pretty good.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      If price is a concern have you looked at Ikea? I know people here, like Bhob have trashed them but for the price they are pretty good.
      I've owned Ikea in the past-- looking for something I don;t have to build.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Fair enough. Crate & Barrel? More expensive but better quality.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Define inexpensive.

We got some end tables and the like at World Market a couple of years ago that we really liked. We got our couch about 10 years ago from a clearance center for a major furniture store and it was only $400 or so. You should definitely try looking in those.

Crate and Barrel is a good suggestion as well.

Comment

I would definitely use Craigslist.

I was in the market for a recliner earlier this year, and while my local furniture stores had decent deals, my wife insisted that I look at Craigslist also. A furniture store employee was advertising some recliners he had bought "on the side" (I didn't ask if that meant they fell off the truck, but he insisted he bought a lot of recliners from a South Carolina store that went under), and I ended up getting a brand spankin' new Lane Bulldog recliner that retails for $1,200 for $400, after negotiating.

Comment

You can pay Ikea to build it for you ... well that's what Lis Salander did in The Girl Who Played With Fire ... I'm guessing they do it everywhere

Ikea is great if you're on a budget ... $10K could be stretched pretty thin if you need to buy the white goods also. Stopped in there a few months back, and they had a whole matching bedroom suite on offer for about £550 ... double bed, 2x bedside drawers, full set of proper drawers and a tall wardrobe ... all decent quality ... and most Ikea stuff is robust and hard wearing. Of course, they didn't have this offer running when I was in the market ... bloody typical.

Comment

To date, I've found a place I like called Ashley's-they seem reasonable, like they have a bedroom set with the bed (complete with Simmons mattresses and box) a mirrored dresser and little nightstand and even the comforter and sheets for a grand. not sure how the quality compares. I've been to walker's, but they seem pricey, though the quality is good. I haven't hit the clearance places yet. I like Ikea a lot, but there isn;t a store here-they'd have to deliver and build which I'm sure will add to the cost. I'm looking at Frys and Best buy for the electronics and bed Bath and Beyond for the kitchen, bath stuff (white goods?). Thing with Craig's list is I have no truck nor access to one so i'd have to rent one, but if the deal was good I can always get a u haul for 50 bucks.

As for what I'd like-- after living with second hand things for 2 decades, i'm ready to invest in some new things for myself (letting the ex take everything).

Is it realistic to expect to be able to do this for under 10 grand?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

To date, I've found a place I like called Ashley's-they seem reasonable, like they have a bedroom set with the bed (complete with Simmons mattresses and box) a mirrored dresser and little nightstand and even the comforter and sheets for a grand. not sure how the quality compares. I've been to walker's, but they seem pricey, though the quality is good. I haven't hit the clearance places yet. I like Ikea a lot, but there isn;t a store here-they'd have to deliver and build which I'm sure will add to the cost. I'm looking at Frys and Best buy for the electronics and bed Bath and Beyond for the kitchen, bath stuff (white goods?). Thing with Craig's list is I have no truck nor access to one so i'd have to rent one, but if the deal was good I can always get a u haul for 50 bucks.

As for what I'd like-- after living with second hand things for 2 decades, i'm ready to invest in some new things for myself (letting the ex take everything).

Is it realistic to expect to be able to do this for under 10 grand?
                  White good generally refers to kitchen ... at least I think ...

Do you have to do the bathroom as well? 10K will be stretched very thin if you have to get a bathroom suite also.

I would rather go stars and scrubs rather than be forced to have mediocre quality throughout. If I were you, I'd look to prioritise the areas you use more often, and spend more on those. If you cook a lot, maybe you want to make sure you have reliable kitchenware. Maybe you can go cheap on the second bedroom. You can always upgrade later.

... and you can also leave yourself in a good position to take advantage of deals when they become available.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    White good generally refers to kitchen ... at least I think ...

Do you have to do the bathroom as well? 10K will be stretched very thin if you have to get a bathroom suite also.

I would rather go stars and scrubs rather than be forced to have mediocre quality throughout. If I were you, I'd look to prioritise the areas you use more often, and spend more on those. If you cook a lot, maybe you want to make sure you have reliable kitchenware. Maybe you can go cheap on the second bedroom. You can always upgrade later.

... and you can also leave yourself in a good position to take advantage of deals when they become available.
                    2 bedrooms, 2 baths living room, dining room, kitchen. How can i tell quality from not so good? like I said-- i've never owned anything really elite and this is my first shopping for anything really in 20 years.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

2 bedrooms, 2 baths living room, dining room, kitchen. How can i tell quality from not so good? like I said-- i've never owned anything really elite and this is my first shopping for anything really in 20 years.
                      10K is gonna be pushed real hard if you want top quality. I'm not sure that's even possible with so many rooms. Have you looked online ... a lot of the large items stores now offer free delivery ... they can't all be flatpack.

As for quality ... if you are buying online you are dependent on reviews. This is great for electronic items, but not so much for other things. With wooden/furniture items it's very much a touch-feel thing ... you are looking for sturdiness, good materials and strong joins. Looks can be deceiving here. If you find something that looks nice, don't be afraid to give it the car tyre treatment. Recommendations are the best way to go with soft furnishing places. These are the kinds of items that look great when brand new, but the quality doesn't become apparent until a year or so down the line. You don't wanna shell out a grand for a sofa, and then 6 months later see nothing but the shape of your ass on the cushions

If you shop around a bit, quality will become apparent fairly quickly.

Comment

Raymore and Flannigan is decent and cheap enough.

Comment

Any auction houses near you? I have bought plenty of furniture from the auction house near my house. some really good stuff (Pennsylvania House bedroom set) for great prices.

The drawback is that you can only purchase what the auction house has.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I can probably help with a few ideas.

If you can find stuff that you like it will give a better idea of what would work well as a cheaper version.

Check you pm's and email me.

Comment

Craigslist, focus on neighborhood. Know the common good brands, like Pottery Barn. Avoid anything that has an extra adjective, like "Pottery Barn style couch". Look frequently, and call immediately.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                              X