Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Junkies....coming town....need some advice

Hey NYC Junkies.

So, I'm flying in on Friday, Aug 11 at around 6pm into NEWARK airport.

So, couple of items:

1. Where can I take a train from the airport to meet everyone for dinner/drinks?

2. How many of you are available to meet that night at 7pm?

3. What's a decent hotel to stay at that night close to the train ( I need to take the train into NYC on Saturday).

I'm coming in for the Fantasy League of Experts (FLEX) expert draft on Sat afternoon and flying out that night.

Thanks in advance!

Gris

Where do you want to stay? In NYC or in NJ?

You can take NJ Transit from the airport to Penn Station in NYC. About 30 minutes.

Comment

The train is attached to the airport and you come out in Manhattan at Madison Square Garden. Easiet thing to if you're going to stay out by Newart airport is utilizing the Marriott that is on-site. It is a business type hotel, so there could be some discounts on weekend stays. Also, many NYC hotels near the Garden too and weekend prices come way down.

Comment

I might be able to do this, gotta check my sked back in the office #oldschoolpapercalendar
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My house is 20 minutes from the airport. That's totally like a hotel. Unfortunately, the no Ohioans rule will bar you from entry.

NJ Transit to the city for sure. Quick ride, assuming the track work that's ongoing doesn't affect you.

Might be free on 8/11, not sure. It's the day before my bday so we might be going crazy and getting a babysitter and living it up.

Comment

Thanks guys!

So this is where the draft is: Greenwich Street Tavern, 399 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10013

I'm thinking about the Marriott at Newark Airport and then take the train/subway to the Tavern. Draft starts at Noon.

So then I was thinking that if you guys wanted to meet at the Marriott for dinner/drinks at like 7 pm, that would be cool or is that too far away for most of you?

Thoughts?

Comment

I might be able to meet in Newark. I am about 30 minutes away

Also I was an interior designer for 388 and 390 Greenwich twenty years ago

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                I might be able to meet in Newark. I am about 30 minutes away

Also I was an interior designer for 388 and 390 Greenwich twenty years ago
                Nice! When the date gets closer, we'll finalize the details.

Comment

update?

also, much of Newark is now modern and nice. it ain't 1965 anymore.
                  their "Ironbound" section is known for Portuguese food, which doesn't interest me but....
                  there also is a Dinosaur BBQ and other good restaurant/bars near where the Devils play at Prudential Center, an easy Uber or cab away

I am maybe a half-hour from Newark as well

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

As I mentioned I land in Newark around 6:00-6:30pm.

I'm staying at the Marriott at/near the airport.

So, I'm thinking dinner/drinks around 7:30 pm either at the hotel or somewhere close?

Who is still in and where's a good place?

Comment

Hey guys, just checking in.....does anyone want to come over to the Marriott at the Newark airport and hang out?

I should there by 7 pm.

Let me know...thanks!

Comment

this reads like it's tonight, but it's tomorrow - right?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          this reads like it's tonight, but it's tomorrow - right?
                          Yes, sorry...it's tomorrow night!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                            Hey guys, just checking in.....does anyone want to come over to the Marriott at the Newark airport and hang out?

I should there by 7 pm.

Let me know...thanks!

just because....
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

we could uber from there to a place.

one that is 5 miles from the Marriott is Redd's Biergarten, which is big and not formal and has great chicken wings as well as German food like schnitzel and also a basic burger. of course it has a very extensive German beer list as well as many other beers you have never heard of

http://www.reddsbiergarten.com/

it's also next to the Prudential Center where the Devils play. yes, it's safe - it's in the right half of Newark!
                              there's also a Dinosaur BBQ across the street and some other places around there

unless something breaks in the afternoon I should be good to go

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X