Baja Arizona, 51st State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baja Arizona, 51st State?

Not sure why they're limiting this to Southern AZ...Northern AZ is also very liberal; it's just the a$$holes in the center (mostly Phoenix) that ruin the state.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Heh... reminds me of all the south central Illinoisians yearning to break free from the corrupt, Democrat-dominated Chicago.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

So would they just be come 'Na" while the rest of the state became "Arizo"

Oh wait, Arizo sounds too ethnic, that would never pass

:ducks:

Comment

I'm sure there are a lot of states that would love to do this. NYC is far more democratic than the rest of the state. Austin TX is miles apart from Dallas. I'm sure the list goes on. Next thing we know there are way more Senators in Washington and even less will get done.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          I'm sure there are a lot of states that would love to do this. NYC is far more democratic than the rest of the state. Austin TX is miles apart from Dallas. I'm sure the list goes on. Next thing we know there are way more Senators in Washington and even less will get done.
          Austin is more liberal than the rest of the state, but I've heard zero talk about splitting off from the rest of Texas. Austin is pretty integrated with its more conservative suburbs and surrounding counties. If Texas were to split for some reason it would sooner be West Texas wanting to be free of the big city interference.

Having said that, I completely agree that this movement in Arizona is a non-starter.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            Austin is more liberal than the rest of the state, but I've heard zero talk about splitting off from the rest of Texas. Austin is pretty integrated with its more conservative suburbs and surrounding counties. If Texas were to split for some reason it would sooner be West Texas wanting to be free of the big city interference.

Having said that, I completely agree that this movement in Arizona is a non-starter.
            damn.... I was going to be a rebel and drive through NO Arizona to visit the new state and NOT take my ID!!
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

OK, that's good that there hasn't been any talk. I had no idea, I was just throwing out the first example that came to mind. However, if this were to pass and we had a 51st state I'm sure other states will want to do the same. It's all about monkey-see-monkey-do.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

While we're at it, maybe we can somehow gerrymander the entire country into separate liberal and conservative partitions.

Maybe leave a small portion for independents.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Every time some idiot in Upstate NY comes up with this idea-- "Let's kick NYC/Westchester/Rockland/Lon Guyland out of our state"-- they're reminded that when you split a state you need to fund two state bureaucracies out of the remnants of one state. In NY, we also remind them that the reservoirs in the Catskills are the sovereign property of New York City and that without NYC and the affluent suburbs your tax base is... uhm... Buffalo?

Splitting states has been a bad idea in every case advanced so far nationwide. Hell, splitting counties doesn't even work-- just ask the dopes who were pushing to create Peconic County at the East End of Long Island.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/liberals-so...130257516.html

Not sure why they're limiting this to Southern AZ...Northern AZ is also very liberal; it's just the a$$holes in the center (mostly Phoenix) that ruin the state.
                    Yes. Lets ignore the 5th largest city, just because of their politics. Its only .5% of the population. Throw in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Miami for good measure.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                      Every time some idiot in Upstate NY comes up with this idea-- "Let's kick NYC/Westchester/Rockland/Lon Guyland out of our state"-- they're reminded that when you split a state you need to fund two state bureaucracies out of the remnants of one state. In NY, we also remind them that the reservoirs in the Catskills are the sovereign property of New York City and that without NYC and the affluent suburbs your tax base is... uhm... Buffalo?

Splitting states has been a bad idea in every case advanced so far nationwide. Hell, splitting counties doesn't even work-- just ask the dopes who were pushing to create Peconic County at the East End of Long Island.
                      I agree completely.

I watched a show last week on the History channel about how states got their boarders. It only went over a few of them and it was pretty interesting. One of them was about how they actually screwed up the Georgia/Tennessee boarder. It was supposed to be on the 35th parallel but the surveyor that measured it back in the 1800s or so screwed up. Georgia now wants it fixed cause they would then end up with a lake to draw water from and help Atlanta with all the droughts they go through. It's pretty interesting. Here's a link to more info about it.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Every time some idiot in Upstate NY comes up with this idea-- "Let's kick NYC/Westchester/Rockland/Lon Guyland out of our state"-- they're reminded that when you split a state you need to fund two state bureaucracies out of the remnants of one state.
                        That's why we need contraction. Dakota. Wymontaho. Kanbraska. Missibama.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          That's why we need contraction. Dakota. Wymontaho. Kanbraska. Missibama.
                          You sound like Bud Selig. Oh wait, in this case you might be right. I'd say the first two would be a great idea. I mean it would effect, what, 37 people?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Exactly. I love when it's the upstaters that propose it, and the NYC crowd gets really excited and makes them rethink their plan. It's like when someone nominates Mark Grudzielanek for $8... everyone else just says "you have fun with that"

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Exactly. I love when it's the upstaters that propose it, and the NYC crowd gets really excited and makes them rethink their plan. It's like when someone nominates Mark Grudzielanek for $8... everyone else just says "you have fun with that"
                              My Mother-in-Law is a GOP town mayor in the Adirondacks and was president of the NYS Association of Counties during one of those "two New Yorks" drives by the upstaters. They look at Medicaid and the huge amount of state funding for that and education that goes downstate and get all hot and bothered about how unfair it all is and decide they want to secede, convincing themselves that they can do so much better without that burden but then the budget numbers come back... and they discover that without downstate, Albany is a smaller version of Birmingham and the rest of the state they've created is as poor as Alabama plus they have to start from scratch at building a bureaucracy because the notional Downstate state lays claim to a huge chunk of state assets.

Now Fly's idea may have some merit-- Intentucky and Arklahoma sound pretty good to me, as does the Great State of Corn-- you knock out like six or seven state bureaucracies right there and you save on building costs on a new State Capital by just building a Corn Palace
                              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                              X