Old west and baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old west and baseball

I like to read biographies of the old west. I never gave it much thought as what was happening in baseball at the same time.

Today I was reading an AP story titled Big league baseball's founding documents to be auctioned. These are a few excerpts from the story:

The league's demise after the 1875 season gave Hulbert, a man of the West who did not like the dominance of East Coast teams, an opening to found something new and lasting.

On Feb. 2, 1876, in a meeting at the Grand Central Hotel in New York that included other early baseball luminaries like Harry Wright and Al Spalding, the new constitution of the National League of Professional Base Ball Clubs was drafted and signed.

"Hulbert was a genius in the model he created with the National League," Thorn said. "It is this model that gave birth to every professional sports league that followed, from football to basketball to European football. Professional sports teams owe everything to Hulbert."

I couldn't help but notice the date. This was 5 months before the Battle of the Little Bighorn and 5 1/2 years before the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

I admit I didn't pay a lot of attention in history, I just found this strange and fascinating.
Working...
X