Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is a Kodi box and why do I need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is a Kodi box and why do I need one?

Hey gang,

My wife came home from a bartending shift all agog telling me about a Kodi box one of her customers uses to watch programs. He told her that he watches anything he wants including first run movies still showing at the theaters. She kept saying that all he did was buy a box on Amazon and has no other expenses or fees. I'm skeptical and can't find a lot of beginner info on google. Anyone out there with pros and cons about the box? Thanks!!

Big deal over in UK and EU. Laws being passed left, right and centre to ban / limit their content. Basically illegal online streaming for the technologically illiterate.

Sucks really. As long as online streaming was a small niche, they'd leave it alone. Things like Kodi made it mainstream, visible, and now they are cracking down heavily.

Comment

as johnny said, its definitely illegal, but i'm not sure anyone would get caught and punished.

Also, the quality ranges from pitiful (sports streaming) to approx netflix HD quality.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

peer to peer online streaming
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
          Hey gang,

My wife came home from a bartending shift all agog telling me about a Kodi box one of her customers uses to watch programs. He told her that he watches anything he wants including first run movies still showing at the theaters. She kept saying that all he did was buy a box on Amazon and has no other expenses or fees. I'm skeptical and can't find a lot of beginner info on google. Anyone out there with pros and cons about the box? Thanks!!
          We use this which is a one time up front purchase with no additional costs, subscriptions etc. - http://atvbstreaming.com/

It uses Kodi as it's backbone and as you mention, you can get a gazillion tv shows, movies, etc. Occasionally it'll go through some buffering or a show won't be available but if you try later in the day or a different day, you'll usually be able to get it work. I've had brand new movies, tv shows, mlb network, etc. all come in with crisp HD quality. We supplemented it with an HD Antenna to get the basic channels for live sports on ABC, NBC, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            We use this which is a one time up front purchase with no additional costs, subscriptions etc. - http://atvbstreaming.com/

It uses Kodi as it's backbone and as you mention, you can get a gazillion tv shows, movies, etc. Occasionally it'll go through some buffering or a show won't be available but if you try later in the day or a different day, you'll usually be able to get it work. I've had brand new movies, tv shows, mlb network, etc. all come in with crisp HD quality. We supplemented it with an HD Antenna to get the basic channels for live sports on ABC, NBC, etc.
            but its $400?
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              as johnny said, its definitely illegal, but i'm not sure anyone would get caught and punished.

Also, the quality ranges from pitiful (sports streaming) to approx netflix HD quality.
              Just to clarify, they will go after the people selling and distributing these, not the users. They were being sold here on big retailers like Amazon etc. So as CBB said, you should be able to use it without much problem as long as it's not too expensive. I believe you can get a box or converted Amazon Fire stick for like 50 quid, so I imagine it pays for itself in no time.

Also, it's not just Kodi ... there are lot's of other "channels" / providers that provide the same sort of content. Most boxes come equipped with several of the providers.

The one box I saw was horrible to use ... the components must be from the bargain basement and thing was a complete pain in the ass to use ... like trying to run Windows 10 on a 1998 laptop. Then again, my parents pay a fortune for cable and the friggin cable box takes 2 minutes+ to load up if you switch it off.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                but its $400?
                Yea it's not cheap but if you were paying $50-$100/month on tv and sports channels and movie channels, etc then it pays for itself pretty quickly! And unlike a lot of other ones, you don't need to pay monthly costs for Amazon, Hulu, hbo now, etc so it truly is a one time cost.

Comment

400 bucks ... geez ... I guess none of you guys know a guy who knows a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Yea it's not cheap but if you were paying $50-$100/month on tv and sports channels and movie channels, etc then it pays for itself pretty quickly! And unlike a lot of other ones, you don't need to pay monthly costs for Amazon, Hulu, hbo now, etc so it truly is a one time cost.
                    A $40 Amazon Fire TV stick will run Kodi and all its addons. I'm sure your box is more powerful but the tv shows and movies will look the same so it doesnt really matter.

Unless it does something more than Kodi I dont see the point. And sorry in advance if this is upsetting... I know I hate to spend too much on just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Just to clarify, they will go after the people selling and distributing these, not the users. They were being sold here on big retailers like Amazon etc. So as CBB said, you should be able to use it without much problem as long as it's not too expensive. I believe you can get a box or converted Amazon Fire stick for like 50 quid, so I imagine it pays for itself in no time.
                      Downloaders have gotten warnings from ISP's with threats to cut off their internet, also heard of fines way beyond the value of the content. Probably rare though...

I have 4 Amazon Fire TV's running Kodi, all rooted but I'm kind of tired of dealing with rooted devices. Might go back to stock.

Comment

People thought the same thing with music downloading a decade ago...it was FREE, and it would last forever. Yeah, not so much. These are gigantic corporations who invest a ton of money into their product, and every free download is money out of their pockets. It's now getting big enough, and commercial enough, to go after people hard.

I suspect that what CBB has heard is just the tip of the spear in this case...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                        X