Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this just looking to for something to be offended by??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this just looking to for something to be offended by??

Posted on a FB page - some others may have seen today.

Hmm... from today's Casual Racism file... I am sitting in Boardwalk Burgers and Fries and just glanced up at the menu board which features the "Buffalo Soldier Salad". The Buffalo Soldiers, also known as the 9th & 10th Negro Cavalry, served across the Plains and Southwest in the latter 19th Century. Not quite sure that using them to sell fast food is a reasonable notion.

Thought it might be interesting fodder for discussion. Personally - I had no idea what the historical name of the 9th and 10th Negro Cavalry was - let alone existed.

Cant this just be about Buffalo as in "Spicy"?
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

or were they referencing the Bob Marley song (which is actually about the same group) and didnt understand the song?

do the other foods have "clever" names?

is this a chain fast food place?

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Posted on a FB page - some others may have seen today.

Hmm... from today's Casual Racism file... I am sitting in Boardwalk Burgers and Fries and just glanced up at the menu board which features the "Buffalo Soldier Salad". The Buffalo Soldiers, also known as the 9th & 10th Negro Cavalry, served across the Plains and Southwest in the latter 19th Century. Not quite sure that using them to sell fast food is a reasonable notion.

Thought it might be interesting fodder for discussion. Personally - I had no idea what the historical name of the 9th and 10th Negro Cavalry was - let alone existed.

Cant this just be about Buffalo as in "Spicy"?
      Anyone who casually observes something and is offended just makes actual offensive issues less impactful.

Had the poster done some homework, they'd have seen that Buffalo Soldier is used all over the country in food establishments. Even at this place he's called out Buffalo Soldier is the name they give their Spicy Chicken (Buffalo Wing Style), which they use in the Buffalo Soldier Sub as well as the salad.

This person was looking for something that's not here.

This person is making it harder for us to fight legitimate racial slights.

Nice find BG, you nailed this one.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have never heard the term used in food

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          I have never heard the term used in food
          Google Buffalo Soldier pizza or sandwich or menu, it's in several eateries around the country.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Anyone who casually observes something and is offended just makes actual offensive issues less impactful.

Had the poster done some homework, they'd have seen that Buffalo Soldier is used all over the country in food establishments. Even at this place he's called out Buffalo Soldier is the name they give their Spicy Chicken (Buffalo Wing Style), which they use in the Buffalo Soldier Sub as well as the salad.

This poster used to be somebody here on RJ.....

Comment

True - I was looking for opinion and not really looking to start anything. I just find that this and many other things tend to be more about looking for things that arent there than anything else.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                One I regularly disagree with. :P

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

One I regularly disagree with. :P
                  Well that narrows it down ! : )
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Right, it's just like calling your football team the Redskins... it's just a name, not sure why everyone gets busted up.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Here's a hint:

Now I'm completely plwoed at the moment as a reuslt of my neighbor comign back from Japan tonight and giving me a dammed waterlglass of %&^&$*%^( aprciot soju to drink without tellign me that the %&^* is 180 proof, so my frame of mnid mitght be a bit off-- nobody should be thid drunk off of somethinf that tastes like aprico9ts... but waht do odds means whenh you can';t figure out the qusetion. We don';t undrerstand the universe, so putting odds onn things that occur within it is what....? Stupid. Just not a good idea, it isn';t. Dumb and bad too do whath you don't knoww about. Silly, like not smart from sdmart enough people. -

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        Right, it's just like calling your football team the Redskins... it's just a name, not sure why everyone gets busted up.
                        First,

I believe these are two different things....

I believe some folks go through life looking for shit like this. I may be wrong, but I've seen similar statements from people which I believe are mere, try to create something from nothing moments for motives I can guess (and probably be right) to some possible unknown reasoning.

From my perspective, the PROPER way to earn outrage is this, you see something you think is offensive, you address it with those you believe perpetrated the offense, then give them time to apologize for the intentional/unintentional offense and allow them time to fix things.

If you do all this and they say F Off, then it's a racial issue. If they address it then it was unintended and really merits no further outrage.

The term Casual Racism has a vague and broad range of applications and apparently outrage does as well.

Again, making a deal about this harms the cause to really stop offensive names and words.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X