Time Fades Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Fades Away

Hey, just read that my nearly-favorite Neil Young album will be released on CD for the first time as part of a new package on May 12 (along with On the Beach, Zuma, and Tonight's the Night). Neil claims it is his worst album ever, but I think three, maybe four, of the songs/performances there are among his best.

I just moved across town, which did a couple of things. One, I was forced to finally admit to my wife that my son and I have just too many damned guitars. Two, after pushing around heads and speaker cabinets in the garage, I started thinking about those giant fake Fender cabs Crazy Horse uses as stage props during their concerts. This got me thinking about the Spook the Horse Tour in 1991, so I watched some old tour video on youtube. I will once again say that IMO Neil Young rocked as hard as anyone, and maybe harder than anyone ever did at the age of 50. It also amazes me to this day that he could take those three, let's be honest, garage band quality musicians, and light up an auditorium. I recommend watching some of those clips, and while you are at it the SNL clip of Rockin' in the Free World from 1989. It wasn't with Crazy Horse, but it's one of the best SNL musical numbers I remember seeing.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Man, Arc-Weld is about as good as it gets for a live recording. All of the crazy power, the distortion, and yet the simply beauty of a song like "Blowin' in the Wind". Here's a snippet from a Rolling Stone article that just makes me grin from ear to ear even today.

It's hard to pinpoint a live peak for Crazy Horse, but this very well might be it. The album originally came packed with Arc, which was a single 35-minute track of various feedback-soaked beginnings and endings of songs. "Now here I am, 45 years old, and this is the essence of what's happening to my mind," said Young of the extended noise suite. "I really made Arc for people who ride around in the Jeeps with the big speakers. If you pull up beside somebody on the street and you're playing that, that makes a fucking statement."
    Now THAT'S Rock and Roll....
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Man, Arc-Weld is about as good as it gets for a live recording. All of the crazy power, the distortion, and yet the simply beauty of a song like "Blowin' in the Wind". Here's a snippet from a Rolling Stone article that just makes me grin from ear to ear even today.

Now THAT'S Rock and Roll....
      That tour was during my first stint of living in Texas, 1990-93, and I saw the show at Reunion Arena in Dallas. The openers were Sonic Youth and Social Distortion, as I think I have mentioned before. All considered, and taking into account the absolute rush of the first few concerts as a kid, that had to be the best overall show ever for me. Arc/Weld is a great document.

My memory is, and somebody please help out here, that there was something with the name of the tour...something that had to do with the Gulf War...something other than Smell the Horse. Anyone remember that? I remember that the SSB concert intro and the Blowin' in the Wind with the rockets and explosions and machine guns was a mind blowing thing.

Arc drives Ms. Lucky crazy.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

So is Redbirds Fan lucky, or does Lucky need to know that redbirds fan is driving around with Mrs Lucky?

Did Lucky stop being lucky and therefore became a Redbirds fan?

What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          So is Redbirds Fan lucky, or does Lucky need to know that redbirds fan is driving around with Mrs Lucky?

Did Lucky stop being lucky and therefore became a Redbirds fan?

What gives?
          Yeah, it's me, but I can't find a way to change my name back to Lucky, so I'm stuck with Redbirds.

I figured you will have some info on the tour name question.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            that had to be the best overall show ever for me.
            Same for my show on that tour (in Philly). I've been to more than 1000 rock concerts and that's probably #1.

The show I saw two years ago was damn good -- Willie Nelson's kids are the perfect backing band for him, they can play in all his styles.

Re the tour name, all I remember it being called was Smell the Horse. A lot of people now refer to it as the Weld tour, but nobody used that name until the live album came out months later.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan
              and while you are at it the SNL clip of Rockin' in the Free World from 1989. It wasn't with Crazy Horse, but it's one of the best SNL musical numbers I remember seeing.
              Easily the best SNL musical performance. It was chaotic and anarchic, in part because Neil refused to do camera blocking, so the cameramen had no idea what he was gonna do or where he was gonna be. One of the iconic rock and roll TV moments.

My drunk-ass college freshman self was totally blown away.

Comment

Concert 1: Neil Young & The International Harvesters - Memorial Stadium/ Champaign, Illinois (Farm Aid) - 1985
                Concert rating: Kick ass.
                Set List: Are There Any More Real Cowboys? / My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) / Heart of Gold / This Old House / Get Back to the Country
                Recollections: Farm Aid was my first all-day concert experience. I had a great time once I ditched my roommate and the annoying girls we went with. The crowd was wild for Neil. A great short set, one of the highlights of the day.

Concert 2: Neil Young featuring Booker T & the MG's - Fiddler's Green/ Denver, Colorado - 1993
                Set List: Mr. Soul / The Loner / Southern Man / Helpless / Like a Hurricane / Motorcycle Mama / Separate Ways / Love to Burn / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / Harvest Moon / Unknown Legend / The Needle and the Damage Done / Powderfinger / Live to Ride / Rockin' in the Free World / Encore - (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay / All Along the Watchtower
                Recollections: I remember being apprehensive about this concert because I didn't know how he'd sound with Booker T & the MG's as his backing band. No need to worry - they cranked their guitars up to 11 and played like Crazy Horse with a funkier rhythm section and a blaring distorted organ. Nice!

Concert 3: Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Fiddler's Green/ Denver, Colorado (HORDE tour) - 1997
                Set List: Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) / Big Time / Hippie Dream / Crime in the City / From Hank to Hendrix / The Needle and the Damage Done / Cinnamon Girl / Down by the River /Tonight's the Night / Sedan Delivery / Rockin' in the Free World / Encore - Mansion on the Hill / Roll Another Number (For the Road)
                Recollections: The band at the peak of their powers, grinding out beautiful sludge beneath a passing apocalyptic hell storm that threatened to blow us all away, but never actually did. It made for some compelling ambience - I'll never forget them rocking "Big Time" into the howling wind against a backdrop of roiling black thunderclouds. This one was easily the best of the three shows.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Been fortunate to see him 13 times, including 3 with CSNY.

1991-02-05, Civic Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
                  w/ Crazy Horse
                  Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Crime In The City / Blowin' In The Wind / Love To Burn / Cinnamon Girl / Days That Used To Be / F*!#in' Up / Cortez The Killer / Powderfinger / Love And Only Love / Rockin' In The Free World // Welfare Mothers / Like A Hurricane

1996-08-16, Sony Music Entertainment Center, Camden, New Jersey, USA
                  w/ Crazy Horse
                  Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Sedan Delivery / Big Time / Slip Away / The Needle And The Damage Done / Heart Of Gold / Sugar Mountain / Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up / Cortez The Killer / Music Arcade / Like A Hurricane // This Town / Welfare Mothers / Rockin' In The Free World // Roll Another Number

1999-04-22, Theatre at Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA
                  Solo
                  Tell Me Why / Looking Forward / War Of Man / Out Of Control / Dreamin' Man / Razor Love / Pocahontas / Philadelphia / Homegrown / Daddy Went Walkin' // Distant Camera / Ambulance Blues / Old King / Long May You Run / Harvest Moon / The Needle And The Damage Done / Slowpoke / After The Gold Rush // Good To See You / Heart Of Gold // Down By The River / I Am A Child

1999-04-24, Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, USA
                  Solo
                  Tell Me Why / Looking Forward / War Of Man / Out Of Control / Albuquerque / World On A String / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Philadelphia / Love Is A Rose / Daddy Went Walkin' // Distant Camera / The Last Trip To Tulsa / Southern Pacific / Old Man / Long May You Run / Harvest Moon / Slowpoke / The Needle And The Damage Done / After The Gold Rush // Good To See You / Red Sun / Sugar Mountain // Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

2000-03-20, First Union Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
                  w/ Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
                  Carry On / Southern Man / Stand And Be Counted / Pre-Road Downs / Heartland / 49 Bye-Byes / Slowpoke / Marrakesh Express / Faith In Me / Almost Cut My Hair / Cinnamon Girl // Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Old Man / Dream For Him / Someday Soon / Looking Forward / After The Gold Rush / Guinnevere / Out Of Control / Seen Enough / Teach Your Children // Woodstock / Long Time Gone / Ohio / Love The One You're With / Down By The River // For What It's Worth / Rockin' In The Free World

2000-08-09, Sony Music Entertainment Center, Camden, New Jersey, USA
                  w/ The Friends And Relatives
                  Motorcycle Mama / Powderfinger / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / I Believe In You / Unknown Legend / Dance Dance Dance / Buffalo Springfield Again / Razor Love / Lotta Love / Daddy Went Walkin' / Peace Of Mind / Walk On / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Words / Harvest Moon / World On A String / Tonight's The Night // Like A Hurricane // Mellow My Mind

2002-04-19, First Union Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
                  Carry On>Questions / Military Madness / Wooden Ships / Goin' Home / Feed The People / You're My Girl / I Used To Be A King / Down By The River / Southern Cross / Almost Cut My Hair / Cinnamon Girl // Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Old Man / Guinnevere / The Lee Shore / Harvest Moon / Ole Man Trouble / Half Your Angels / Suite: Judy Blue Eyes // Let's Roll / Long Time Gone / Two Old Friends / Woodstock / Rockin' In The Free World // For What It's Worth / Teach Your Children

2003-07-02, Tweeter Center at The Waterfront, Camden, New Jersey, USA
                  w/ Crazy Horse
                  Falling From Above / Double E / Devil's Sidewalk / Leave The Driving / Carmichael / Bandit / Grandpa's Interview / Bringin' Down Dinner / Sun Green / Be The Rain // Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Sedan Delivery / Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll / Powderfinger // Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up

2006-08-12, Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, Virginia, USA
                  Flags Of Freedom / Carry On / Wooden Ships / Long Time Gone / Military Madness / After The Garden / Living With War / The Restless Consumer / Shock And Awe / Wounded World / Almost Cut My Hair / Immigration Man / Families / Déjà Vu // Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / Guinnevere / Milky Way Tonight / Treetop Flyer / Roger And Out / Southbound Train / Ole Man Trouble / Carry Me / Teach Your Children / Southern Cross / Find The Cost Of Freedom // Let's Impeach The President / For What It's Worth / Chicago / Ohio / What Are Their Names / Rockin' In The Free World // Woodstock

2006-09-30, Tweeter Center at The Waterfront, Camden, New Jersey, USA
                  Farm Aid 2006
                  w/ The Prairie Wind Band
                  Field Of Opportunity / Homegrown / After The Garden / Four Strong Winds / Harvest Moon / Human Highway

2007-12-09, Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, USA
                  w/ Ben Keith, Rick Rosas, Ralph Molina, Anthony Crawford and Pegi Young
                  From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / Mexico / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / Journey Through The Past / After The Gold Rush / Mellow My Mind / Love Art Blues / Campaigner / Cowgirl In The Sand // The Loner / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / No Hidden Path // Cinnamon Girl / Like A Hurricane

2008-12-16, Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA
                  Neil Young & His Electric Band
                  Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Powderfinger / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Oh, Lonesome Me / Mother Earth (Natural Anthem) / The Needle And The Damage Done / Light A Candle / Cough Up The Bucks / Fuel Line / Hit The Road / Get Around / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Off The Road / When Worlds Collide / Just Singing A Song / Cowgirl In The Sand / Rockin' In The Free World // Get Behind The Wheel / A Day In The Life

2015-07-16, Susquehanna Bank Center, Camden, New Jersey, USA
                  w/ Promise Of The Real
                  After The Gold Rush / Heart Of Gold / Long May You Run / Old Man / Mother Earth (Natural Anthem) / Hold Back The Tears / Out On The Weekend / Unknown Legend / Peace Of Mind / From Hank To Hendrix / Harvest Moon / Wolf Moon / Words / Flying On The Ground Is Wrong / Walk On / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / A Rock Star Bucks A Coffee Shop / People Want To Hear About Love / A New Day For Love / Down By The River / Workin' Man / Big Box / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Monsanto Years / If I Don't Know / Love And Only Love // Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl
                  Last edited by Erik; 04-25-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

It's funny that this is the album and the tour that Neil disliked more than any other...

Mostly recorded on a disastrous tour that found Young and his band slowly falling apart over 62 shows in early 1973, Time Fades Away should have come at a moment of triumph, since it arrived in the wake of his hugely successful Harvest LP. Platinum sales often bring their own set of problems, however, and for Young, mainstream stardom proved a burden that started chafing almost immediately. “I felt like a product, and I had this band of all-star musicians that couldn’t even look at each other,” Young reflected in a 1987 interview. “It was a total joke.”

Of course, Young being Young, he didn’t exactly make the tour easy on himself, chiefly by opting to perform previously unreleased material for crowds expecting to hear the hits. Going on to call Time Fades Away “my least favorite record” and “the worst record I ever made” in the same 1987 interview, Young explained, “As a documentary of what was happening to me, it was a great record. I was onstage and I was playing all these songs that nobody had heard before, recording them, and I didn’t have the right band. It was just an uncomfortable tour. It was supposed to be this big deal — I just had Harvest out, and they booked me into 90 cities.”
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                    X