Self Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Driving Cars

It will be really interesting to see how fast self driving cars become reality. Lots of interesting effects on jobs and other things that aren't so obvious. It would be great to not have to pay for car insurance.

Benedict Evans, a blogger who works for a venture capital firm that invests in technology, has an interesting article on the shift to electric and self-driving vehicles.

How Many Jobs?

All Trucking says “There are approximately 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the United States, according to estimates by the American Trucking Association. The total number of people employed in the industry, including those in positions that do not entail driving, exceeds 8.7 million.”

I may have over-estimated the number of long-haul jobs that vanish. However, I may have under-estimated the add-on effects.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Yep ... if you think that the pissed off, unemployed rust belt were a big driver for change with Trump, it will be interesting to see what happens when these 8.7 million join them.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

trucking, taxis, intracity delivery...all will be crushed
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

And how many of you will feel comfortable about "self driven" semi-trucks being on the roads?
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          And how many of you will feel comfortable about "self driven" semi-trucks being on the roads?
          I

Robot

Comment

You think some large corporation won't see the profit in laying off all their drivers ? Isn't that the basis of capitalism ? Our comfort has nothing to do with it. It will happen, just a matter of when.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The vehicles will still have to be manned. Those jobs won't disappear, but they may have reduced pay. There will still be times when a driver will have to take over.

The current technology relies on roads being marked well and in good shape which is not even close to true across the country.
              Volvo’s North American CEO, Lex Kerssemakers, lost his cool as the automaker’s semi-autonomous prototype sporadically refused to drive itself during a press event at the Los Angeles Auto Show. “It can’t find the lane markings!” Kerssemakers griped to Mayor Eric Garcetti, who was at the wheel. Shoddy infrastructure has become a roadblock to the development of self-driving cars, vexing engineers and adding time and cost.

Comment

To add to this; how many of you would feel comfortable ridding in the passenger seat of a self driven car?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFurious View Post
                  The vehicles will still have to be manned. Those jobs won't disappear, but they may have reduced pay. There will still be times when a driver will have to take over.

The current technology relies on roads being marked well and in good shape which is not even close to true across the country.
                  https://www.yahoo.com/news/wheres-la...--finance.html
                  I don't think anyone is claiming this is going to happen today, so current technology isn't really an issue. The question is how fast it will be achieved. I don't really know that much about computers/technology, but I don't really think it will be an issue in the long run. I'd be curious to hear if anyone thinks that it won't happen, and why.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    To add to this; how many of you would feel comfortable ridding in the passenger seat of a self driven car?
                    I'll bet one day most of us will.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I'll bet one day most of us will.
                      Probably, but I am not going first.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        You think some large corporation won't see the profit in laying off all their drivers ? Isn't that the basis of capitalism ? Our comfort has nothing to do with it. It will happen, just a matter of when.
                        This.

Originally posted by techcrunch.com
                        Where drivers are restricted by law from driving more than 11 hours per day without taking an 8-hour break, a driverless truck can drive nearly 24 hours per day. That means the technology would effectively double the output of the U.S. transportation network at 25 percent of the cost.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

While I dont disagree with any of what is being stated about capitalism and technological effectiveness, there is going to have to be a real concerted effort to upgrade and maintain our infrastructure in a much more proactive manner than is currently being done before we see a fully functional self driven transportation system. We have way to many highways, roads and bridges in such disrepair that it likely just isnt feasible.

Also, while the driving job may disappear in 25 years - the job of infrastructure maintenance may become more important than ever if we are to become dependent on self driving auto mobiles.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

hmmm ... 25 years ago Mark Zuckerberg was in the second grade ... technology moves a lot quicker than that; if I had to guess I'd say 5-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              hmmm ... 25 years ago Mark Zuckerberg was in the second grade ... technology moves a lot quicker than that; if I had to guess I'd say 5-10 years.
                              Technology outpaces infrastructure. That's why we already have so much power and functionality in our hand-held devices, but don't have driver-less cars already.

My guess is that it would be easier and cheaper to develop coast-to-coast mass transit and shipping that it would be to rebuild our highways to accommodate 300 million new driverless cars. That would, however, run contrary to the American ideal of freedom of the open road, man behind the wheel, etc.
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Working...
                              X