Can Opener Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Opener Bridge

Not sure why i find this so amusing. These truck drivers seem to have trouble with traffic signs. Especially the one near the corner of Gregson and Peabody Streets in Durham, North Carolina where several years worth of surveillance camera footage is compiled in this video. This railroad trestle is nicknamed Can Opener Bridge lol. The truck driver at the end corrects himself when he realizes his mistake.....or does he?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

I'd like to see the sign posting around there. Seems absurd there have been so many similar accidents. And that looks like a rail bridge ... surely that can't be good for structural integrity. How about some traffic lights of speed bumps ... damn.

Comment

Those Hertz/Penske trucks do not seem to be of a consistent height. Some just barely scrape while others get lodged in.

I have never seen one of these happen, but i have come upon them at least 3 times in my travels.

Any of you seen one?
      Last edited by Gregg; 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

The dude at 8:44 walking on the left side. He doesn't even react, as if he's seen this occur once, twice, forty times.

I enjoy the campers, as the bridge just skims off the top devices. That happened to my Mom a number of years back. She thought she could turn around at a bank when making a wrong turn and went under the drive thru. The air conditioner unit on top of her camper got knocked off...right onto the hood of her car she was pulling.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Those Hertz/Penske trucks do not seem to be of a consistent height. Some just barely scrape while others get lodged in.

I have never seen one of these happen, but i have come upon them at least 3 times in my travels.

Any of you seen one?
          My guess is the weight of the load they are carrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
            My guess is the weight of the load they are carrying.
            Ah, that makes sense.

I have seen one that was so close they let air out of the tires to get through.

Comment

I clicked on the upper right of the video for the "Evil Brother" bridge (this bridge is even lower and the signage is terrible along with a slight curve to the curb on one side which caused a couple of cars to wreck). It led to another link for the 11' 8" bridge. They made modifications to the signage and added some sort of detection device to warn you if the vehicle is too tall. Some people still couldn't resist.

Comment

Why not just lower the the level of the road beneath? Seems like a simple, relatively low-cost solution. Close the underpass for a few days, remove the road surface, scoop out about 10 inches of earth and repave it.

I also couldnt help laughing at this. It doesnt appear that anyone got hurt seriously so I dont feel guilty.

Comment

Working...
                X