2k11: Andrew McCutchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11: Andrew McCutchen

One of my favorite players, though I sometimes wonder if he's getting to be a little overrated in roto circles. He is a very well-rounded player and does most things pretty well, but a lot of them don't fit into 5x5 categories.

If you're a stathead you might find this article funny: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-entire-teams/

Andrew McCutchen produced more WAR than the entire Pittsburgh offense and defense, himself included.

===

Last year: 154 games, 653 PA, 286/365/449, 16 HR, 56 RBI, 94 R, 33 SB. 10.7% walk rate, 15.6% K rate, .311 BABIP, 1.15 G/F, 18.8% LD rate, 35 doubles, 5 triples.

At first glance, the BABIP looks a little low, given his speed. But he's not an Ichiro-type slap hitter, as evidenced by his almost neutral G/F. That said, low K rate, 43% GB rate, 18% LD rate (2 years in a row) and very good wheels should make him a .300 hitter.

He was caught stealing 10 times last year which isn't bad. But if he's not hitting leadoff and he's not hitting 80% or better, he might not run much more than he did in 2010. Then again, Clint Hurdle said the Pirates are going to run a lot:

In the interview (linked), Cutch comes off as a guy who really wants to improve on the bases. So maybe there's more upside than I think. I haven't seen a projected lineup but I would suspect we might see Cutch in the 3-hole this year:

Tabata LF
    Walker 2B
    Cutch CF
    Alvarez 3B
    Diaz/Jones RF
    Overbay 1B
    catcher
    shortstop

That would give him more RBIs without crushing his runs totals. So maybe he's not overrated after all?

How about 590 AB, .304-19-86-91r-36sb?

He went 36 overall in Mock 1 and while I like his skillset, I felt it was a reach. Where is he batting in the Pirates lineup? He looks like a 3 hitter to me but I think he'll be slotted in the 2 hole initially.

Put me down for 590 AB, .290-16-60-95r-32sb
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      He went 36 overall in Mock 1 and while I like his skillset, I felt it was a reach. Where is he batting in the Pirates lineup? He looks like a 3 hitter to me but I think he'll be slotted in the 2 hole initially.

Put me down for 590 AB, .290-16-60-95r-32sb
      I like him as the #3 hitter, partly due to his talent and partly because I don't see another plausible candidate as of now.

I like the lineup joncarlos mentioned, except that with Jones in the lineup, that would be three left-handed batters in a row (Alvarez-Jones-Overbay).
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

I like the lineup joncarlos mentioned, except that with Jones in the lineup, that would be three left-handed batters in a row (Alvarez-Jones-Overbay).
        Phillies have 5 left handed hitters in a row, what's your point?

Comment

Am I the only one with him in my preseason top 5?

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
            Phillies have 5 left handed hitters in a row, what's your point?
            The Phillies' LH hitters are just a wee bit better than the three in a row the Pirates may have. I can also see managerial perceptions enter into it, as it is Known Fact that you can't win with that many LH hitters in a row. Absolutely indisputable and not even to be thought lest one be accused of heresy.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
              You think he will be a top 5 player this year? How is he going to double his RBI output from last year?
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I assume he means top 5 OFer not top 5 overall, which is still pushing it, but could happen if his teammates help him out on runs and rbis. Cutch is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I assume he means top 5 OFer not top 5 overall, which is still pushing it, but could happen if his teammates help him out on runs and rbis. Cutch is great.
                  Yes, top 5 OF. I think he's Carl Crawford on a worse offense. I'd rather take a power bat where Crawford goes and get McCutch cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
                    Probably. Here's the top outfielders picked in Mock One:

Outfield (75) - Carl Crawford (1.07), Ryan Braun (1.08), Carlos Gonzalez (1.10), Matt Holliday (1.11), Josh Hamilton (1.14), Matt Kemp (2.03), Jose Bautista* (2.08), Shin-Soo Choo (2.09), Hunter Pence (2.13), Nelson Cruz (2.14), Andrew McCutcheon (2.16), Justin Upton (2.18), Jason Heyward (3.02)

Crawford, Braun, CarGo, Holliday. Definitely not going ahead of any of them. Bautista is getting drafted at 3B so you can ignore him.

Hamilton? Maybe if you're really scared of injuries but he out-earns Cutch if he plays 120 games.

Kemp? I guess I can see the argument for Cutch ahead of Kemp (horrible AVG, tons of Ks, bad CS numbers)

Choo? I think they're too similar and Choo is better.

Cruz? I dunno. He missed time last year and hit .260 in 2009. I wouldn't say you're totally nuts for picking Cutch ahead of him. I might. But Cruz also has a season where he hit .318 and a season where he hit 33 HRs under his belt.

Upton/Heyward? I would probably take Cutch over both.

So, Braun, Holliday, Hamilton, Choo, CarGo, Crawford, so that would put Cutch 7th, and that's about as optimistic as I can be.

Comment

Working...
                    X