Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be disappointed if California seceeded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone be disappointed if California seceeded?

More Californians are now hoping their state secedes from the United States, a new poll shows.

About 32 percent of Californians want to create their own country, a new Reuters/Ipsos poll found
    Last edited by cardboardbox; 01-24-2017, 05:03 PM.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Dems should be concerned about this - as it would likely take a large block of electoral college votes out of their side.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Dems should be concerned about this - as it would likely take a large block of electoral college votes out of their side.
      yes, it would completely change politics in the rest of the country. I'm guessing CA pays more to the federal govt than they get back so thats a reason for the rest of us to want them to stay.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I would be disappointed if any state seceded. It would essentially be a concession that people of diverse ideologies cannot coexist.

California, I say to you what I said to Texas in 2012 - put on your big boy pants and learn to play nice with others.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

damnit, I speeled seceded wrong.

:sigh:

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            damnit, I speeled seceded wrong.

:sigh:
            You did not succeed in correctly spelling "secede."
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              You did not succeed in correctly spelling "secede."
              great, now I'll probably spell it as secceed next time.

Comment

Trump won the electoral college, 304-227 (7 faithless electors)
                without California it's 304-172

Trump got 63.0M votes, Hillary got 65.8M
                she led by about 2.9M votes overall - but she trailed by 500,000 if you take out CA

if the Ds can't lead in the other 49 states when Trump is running, they never will
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Don't forget about Baja, AZ
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                    yes, it would completely change politics in the rest of the country. I'm guessing CA pays more to the federal govt than they get back so thats a reason for the rest of us to want them to stay.
                    Used to be true, but no longer. Federal spending in Cali, including military spending, outpaces tax revenue by a ratio of 1.18:1, based on 2015 data. That does put them in the bottom third for ratio, however.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

California contributes 13.3 percent of the US economy. It's the 7th largest economy IN THE WORLD. It contributes much of our agricultural products, it's the #1 dairy state...the list goes on and on. Suffice to say, the US needs California, period.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Meh - Build a wall.............

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Meh - Build a wall.............

I think we could take them in a war.

Comment

Given their location to the ocean and access to the US infrastructure, we would probably have to provide them with military support in order to protect "our own borders". I cant see California raising much of a military - they would be ripe for the picking if we didnt do something.

More military expense...... great.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              Trump won the electoral college, 304-227 (7 faithless electors)
                              without California it's 304-172

Trump got 63.0M votes, Hillary got 65.8M
                              she led by about 2.9M votes overall - but she trailed by 500,000 if you take out CA

if the Ds can't lead in the other 49 states when Trump is running, they never will
                              Yeah, but if you take Texas out instead (more realistic of two unrealistic possibilities), Hillary's popular vote margin is even more massive, and the I think the electoral vote margin comes down to three. The difference becomes the faithless electors, and what might they do in that circumstance?

That's the funny thing about this...you leave out the biggest state in the Union, this happens. You leave out a single county in each of three other states, we have a different president. Just games at this point.
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Working...
                              X