Thrifty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrifty

So, it's time to admit a guilty pleasure of mine. About 3 years ago I discovered I enjoyed thrift store shopping and now it's a pretty regular thing. I enjoy hunting for collectibles and deals I might someday cash in on by possibly selling stuff on E Bay. Ivé made some pretty decent scores in the past (and thought not valuable I;ve an outstanding collection of beer glasses) However the past week have been excellent for me in that I picked up 2 things I not only like for myself, but we're (dare I say it) HUGE bargains (not life changing, but very cool)

Today I found a unused (no surprise) Cooperstown collection 1980's Padres vintage jersey, Brown away top which retails for $160, I got it for $5.

Last week I was looking for a nice shirt to buy before my trip and though I usually never thrift clothes I found a excellent condition Bugatchi shirt, retailed at $190 and grabbed it for $16.

In addition to the Beer glass, I collect other vintage glass, including vintage marbles and other collectibles. I try not to pay more than a buck for most and with my senior discounts (LOL) I can usually get what I want half off that!

Does anyone else Thrift?

What are your best finds? What do you look for? (I can keep an eye out!)

Anyhow, something fun to pass the day eh?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ha, I generally go to Goodwill for Halloween costumes and such but I've found some t-shirts that I wear all the time as well as a few work polos. Haven't found anything with actual value although I've gotten plenty of mileage out of my pizza costume

Comment

Usually i just get $5 MLB t-shirts (any team) for work. But, back in 2002 i found two flawless Ichiro rookie game jerseys with the 2001 Seattle All-Star Game patch on the sleeve at a local discount clothing store called Gabriel Brothers. Price was $10 each and i've seen them retail between $150-200. They also had a Manny Ramirez Red Sox home jersey for the same price. But, the red dye from the number on the back had run onto the white part of the jersey and created a huge pink stain. I didn't think i could fix that so i passed on the Manny jersey. I ended up visiting the other local stores to see if they had any more but couldn't duplicate my original great find.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Love the thrift stores, stop by my favorite on every couple of weeks. Instead of the Goodwill-type stores, I like the small charity thrifts. They seem to have higher quality items. The one I frequent gets donations from estates, etc.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

My wife loves them.

Comment

We're big on garage sales. Find lots of cool and unique things there.

Comment

My wife and youngest daughter are big on the thrift stores. They find clothes with the tags on them for a few bucks.

We just purchased a solid oak china cabinet (Thomasville) that she found on a local site (not Craig's list) for $250.00. Others similar on line 900-1600.00. This last weekend I tore out our built in kitchen desk and cupboard and installed the new purchase. It looks fantastic.

We bought 2 different antique buffets that I am in the process of converting to replace our beat up kitchen island. I will install them back to back (some light carpentry work) and put on a quartz counter top to complete the project. One buffet was $100.00 the other $200.00. I am very excited to get that one done. Not only will it look better it doubles the current storage space.

My buddy got a like new Taylor Driver and golf bag at Goodwill for 5 bucks.

Comment

My wife and I thrift. We have very different styles and rarely go together. I'm much more a browser. She is a scrounger.

My tolerance is about 45 minutes, at the most. I hit the men's clothing for dress shirts, then over to housewares, finishing at the toys. Mrs. ITC, doesn't miss a square inch.

We have carved out some niches of things to sell on ebay. We haven't sold in awhile, but I would love to get back to selling. We specialize in old toys (lots of Fisher Price), pyrex and glassware. We have made some decent money, and my wife has quite the eye. Many years ago, she picked up a Cookie Monster plastic chair for $0.99. It was in really rough shape. I told her, "No way!" She won. She cleaned it up and sold it on ebay for over $50.
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

My wife can walk into one and walk out wearing a different outfit. It's disheartenting. When we travel, she wants to hit the shops in every town.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                  X