PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Golf?

Gregg
01-04-2017, 04:58 PM
I like to play Golf. I am usually in the low to mid 90's.

Anyone else play?

Piney Boy
01-04-2017, 05:01 PM
I played when I was in college. Never got below 120. I suck.

Judge Jude
01-04-2017, 08:36 PM
I am the Benjamin Button of golf.

I shot a 78 when I was 16 (on a par 72 course), after starting playing when I was about 12.

I never broke 80 again, but I was in the low 80s while playing HS varsity golf (catnip to the gals!).

was in the 80s for several years, climbing a couple of strokes a year.

by the time I got a 190-yard hole-in-one at age 33, I needed to par the last hole to break 90 (and did).

Also around this time, I chipped on the last hole for eagle to give our "scramble" group the charity pro-am title with a 13-under par 59 (LPGA Tour pro in each group). I missed another hole-in-one by two inches that day (after yelling "kick right!" my tee shot hit a sprinkler head and made a laser-like route to the hole) and hit two flagstick with mid-irons for easy birdies.

I ran through the 90s by the time I was 40, not playing much.

I was down to a round or two a year not long after that, and couldn't break 100 (or possibly 110).

last few years, I was too busy and other things to play at all.

now this osteoarthritis in my hands, it doesn't bother me in real life (other than never getting hand-modeling job callbacks, lol) but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to smack the ball.

hey, I had a good run.
:)

griswold
01-05-2017, 01:09 PM
I also started at 12 and by the time I was 16, I was shooting 73-75 for 18 holes (par 72).

Averaged 38.1 per 9 nine holes during my last two seasons of high school golf.

Starting playing softball in college and completely destroyed my swing.

Now, my goal is to break 45 for nine holes or 90 for 18 holes.

It's fun to play plus my wife plays so we can go out and play on Sunday afternoons in the summer.

chancellor
01-06-2017, 12:07 AM
Going on four years now since I've swung the clubs. Due to health issues, my distance running days are likely dead, so I may well pull them out and start again this year. Best handicap was 12 many years ago, was hanging around bogey golf when I quit playing.

Judge Jude
01-06-2017, 12:24 AM
seeing a chancellor post makes me feel like it's 2003 or 2006 or 2010 so again.
I liked that place

Pogues
01-07-2017, 11:15 AM
I've "played" golf. I say it that way because I've never been very good, and can't ever see where the ball goes when I hit it, even if straight. But I find it fun, as long as I don't play with someone who gets upset at my suckiness.

I did once chip in from 40 yards to win a soda. It was important.

revo
01-08-2017, 12:33 PM
I started playing at age 20, and while I was never able to hit a driver, I always played well (mid 90s). When I started taking clients to play, I took short-game lessons and got to be very good. One client, I'll never forget, said I had "the best short game he had ever seen." I remember that day -- client tourney at St. Davids CC in Villanova, PA -- and I never missed a green, and even won closest to the pin. But once I got married and left that company, I rarely played. Now, I'm a total embarrassment on the course. Last time I played, a friend asked me to play with him (with a $120 greens fee, no less), and I couldn't even hit the ball. I gave up after about 14 holes. :(

Gregg
01-16-2017, 05:20 PM
I am getting the bug. The earliest I have played in Illinois was two years ago when we got in a round on the last day of March.

I do not like to play unless it is at least 50 degrees. Spring 50 seems warmer than Fall 50.

Mithrandir
06-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Have played 8 weeks in my league so far this year. We play 4 different 9 hole layouts at the same course.

I have shot a low of 39 and a high of 44. I'm pretty consistent in the 40-42 range. I rarely go below a 39, but almost never go above 45.

Of all the sports I have played, I enjoy golf the most. Nothing like being out on the course on a clear blue sunny day!!

Mithrandir
06-15-2017, 11:18 AM
No one???

Judge Jude
06-17-2017, 10:15 PM
so if you check in on the US Open on Father's Day tomorrow, I am in 2nd place in my golf pool (19 events down, 13 to go) - and a LOT of money and standings are at stake tomorrow. seeking:

- I've got Rickie Fowler, who is 2 shots back. a win for him would easily vault me into 1st place.

- failing that, the leader has contenders Justin Thomas and Snedeker so feel to use your NOONAN (Caddyshack joke) on either of them. Thomas's -9 today is the lowest round in US Open history.

- Koepka was picked by 2 guys within striking distance, so let's whammy him as well.

- if none of these guys finish in the top 3, then it's not that big a deal.

if you missed the first 3 rounds, Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, and Rory McIlroy missed the cut by multiple shots. Phil missed out because his daughter is graduating as valedictorian in CA.

other missed cuts include Justin Rose, Adam Scott, Stenson, Schwartzel, Bubba Watson, Graeme McDowell, Rahm, Jimmy Walker, Dufner, etc. is 1st Tour event played at a new Wisconsin course, and hijinks have ensued.

no one in the top 15 has every won a major, either. but now you have a guy to root for - and a few to root against!
:)

oh, the leader is a lefty, if that helps. not that kind, Sports Bar - he tees off left-handed (as did I).

Mithrandir
06-19-2017, 11:29 AM
I found the US Open rather boring. I like it when the pros have to deal with maximum adversity for at least one tournament per year. This was just like any other PGA tour event.

That being said, Keopka is a beast. Dude just killed it long and straight. Let's see if he has enough game to become a consistent winner.

Judge Jude
06-19-2017, 11:46 AM
I found the US Open rather boring. I like it when the pros have to deal with maximum adversity for at least one tournament per year. This was just like any other PGA tour event.

too true. Koepka was great, but he didn't have any more challenges than he would in a typical Tour event.
I have 2 Koepka picks left; most rivals only have one, so there's that.

two monster weeks by rivals of $6M and $7M in a league where after 20 weeks now four of us are around $16-18M TOTAL. two newcomers to the dance.

would be like two teams picking up 15-20 points in the same weekend to grab the lead and third place out of nowhere (thanks to picking top finishers and double money for a major).

Mithrandir
06-19-2017, 12:05 PM
too true. Koepka was great, but he didn't have any more challenges than he would in a typical Tour event.
I have 2 Koepka picks left; most rivals only have one, so there's that.

two monster weeks by rivals of $6M and $7M in a league where after 20 weeks now four of us are around $16-18M TOTAL. two newcomers to the dance.

would be like two teams picking up 15-20 points in the same weekend to grab the lead and third place out of nowhere (thanks to picking top finishers and double money for a major).

Do you golf at all?

Judge Jude
06-19-2017, 01:58 PM
see post 3

Mithrandir
06-19-2017, 03:05 PM
see post 3

Gotcha. Bummer.

Judge Jude
06-19-2017, 05:02 PM
I hit a small bucket of balls a few weeks ago. might try a modest comeback as high as par-3 courses. not sure I'd have any shot at the big stuff anymore....

Mithrandir
06-29-2017, 10:00 AM
Anyone play a round or two this year? Or am I alone? :)

Don Quixote
07-11-2017, 12:57 AM
I played when I was in my 20s, mostly as a way to socialize with my college buddies. They almost all got married (with the wives coming up with reasons to never let them play), then I left town for a few years.

On top of that, the more I played, the worse I got. I don't think I ever broke 90, even at my best. So the only way to improve--was to quit.

Maybe I'll start again when/if I retire.

Gregg
10-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Anyone play a round or two this year? Or am I alone? :)

I played a fair amount this year.

I usually play from the White Tees. One of my buddies wanted to play from the Gold Tees (Senior tees at this course). I shot a 77. This smashes my all time record of 81 (twice).

I have had a couple of horrible rounds where I shot 102. Most of my scores fell between 88-94.

My last round out I shot 46-49. I had three 7's on the back side.

Mithrandir
10-26-2017, 04:35 PM
I played a fair amount this year.

I usually play from the White Tees. One of my buddies wanted to play from the Gold Tees (Senior tees at this course). I shot a 77. This smashes my all time record of 81 (twice).

I have had a couple of horrible rounds where I shot 102. Most of my scores fell between 88-94.

My last round out I shot 46-49. I had three 7's on the back side.

77 is sweeeeeeet!! Nice!!

I had the best round of my life last Saturday. 38-38=76.

My league plays at a 36 hole course so we have 4 9-hole courses that we rotate using. I finished with a 6-handicap. My range for the season was 38-45.

Gregg
10-27-2017, 09:48 AM
77 is sweeeeeeet!! Nice!!

I had the best round of my life last Saturday. 38-38=76.

My league plays at a 36 hole course so we have 4 9-hole courses that we rotate using. I finished with a 6-handicap. My range for the season was 38-45.

Nice job. What is the best part of your game?

Mithrandir
10-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Nice job. What is the best part of your game?

Driving - off the tee I am very, very consistent. I hit a small fade and find the fairway around 75% of the time. Not very long off of the tee, maybe 210-220 on average. I have been making some swing changes to try and hit the ball a bit farther with pretty good results so far. Side note about my driving: the guys in my league love the small fade that i hit and the fact that I find the fairway so much more than most of them!

2nd shot - I'm ok with these. I love my hybrid rescue club from 150-180. Love that club!! My irons are decent.

Around the green - I'm pretty good at chipping around the greens.

Putting -I am a really good lag putter, but the bane of my game is the 3-5 foot putt. Although i have improved a bit as I have altered my putting stroke a bit (more shoulders and less wrist!)

I would like shave at least one stroke off of my handicap next season.

How's your game shape up?

Gregg
10-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Replace fade with draw in your first paragraph and that would be me. I used to have a severe slice. It is now rare that I slice it.

My issue is my second shot. I am pretty good 150 yards in. I am not consistent enough on my second shot 160-220 range. If I am hitting my 6 iron, rescue club (180-190), 5 wood, 3 wood well that will end up be a pretty good round.

My chipping has improved the last two years. Mainly because I have removed the deceleration from that part of my game. I have also added an 8 iron bump and run that has been working pretty well.

Putting is rather interesting. I do not know if good Gregg or bad Gregg is going to show up. I like my greens on the fast side.

I hope to consistently be under 90 this next year.

Gregg
12-03-2017, 09:58 AM
It is supposed to be 59-64 degrees here tomorrow depending on who you listen too. I am planning December Golf in Illinois! Woo hoo!

virgonomic
12-31-2017, 09:50 AM
I just discovered this thread.

I first golfed at age 20 in 1993. I shot a couple rounds that summer with coworkers. Fast forward to 1998 and I went on 2 company golf trips; one in in Kingston, ON and the other along the ocean in Halifax, NS.

Now, a number of coworkers/retirees shoot a handful of rounds a year. Every June and Oct we do a cottage weekend. I've tagged along a few times over the years. I hit the greens with them both times this year after shooting some balls at TopGolf in Tampa last March.

I bought my first set of clubs in July and vowed to get out during the summer, but I had a busy summer of softball and one planned outing fell through. I took the clubs out in Oct and they were too short. I flipped them and bought a set of Adams on sale.

I'm off next week and there is an indoor driving range inside a sports dome from 9-4 daily. Thinking of going to hit some balls. I play softball and hockey so developing a consistent golf swing will be a challenge. I have fun regardless.

Mithrandir
12-31-2017, 09:32 PM
I just discovered this thread.

I first golfed at age 20 in 1993. I shot a couple rounds that summer with coworkers. Fast forward to 1998 and I went on 2 company golf trips; one in in Kingston, ON and the other along the ocean in Halifax, NS.

Now, a number of coworkers/retirees shoot a handful of rounds a year. Every June and Oct we do a cottage weekend. I've tagged along a few times over the years. I hit the greens with them both times this year after shooting some balls at TopGolf in Tampa last March.

I bought my first set of clubs in July and vowed to get out during the summer, but I had a busy summer of softball and one planned outing fell through. I took the clubs out in Oct and they were too short. I flipped them and bought a set of Adams on sale.

I'm off next week and there is an indoor driving range inside a sports dome from 9-4 daily. Thinking of going to hit some balls. I play softball and hockey so developing a consistent golf swing will be a challenge. I have fun regardless.

I played softball and deck hockey for years while also golfing and i never really thought about any swing connections between them. I never really honed my golf swing until after i quit playing the other 2 sports.

Mithrandir
03-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Golf will be a lot more interesting if Tiger is indeed healthy enough to compete again.

Judge Jude
03-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Tiger made a 44-foot putt on the 17th hole today to get within 1 shot of the lead. he then had a 38-footer on 18 to force a playoff, but it came up just short.

he's healthy, and he's baaaaaack.

Gregg
04-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Golf will be a lot more interesting if Tiger is indeed healthy enough to compete again.

To the masses yes.

The Masters was an exciting and fun golf tournament without much Tiger (+1).

Mithrandir
04-21-2018, 10:47 AM
I believe that spring has finally arrived! Golf league started and I played two rounds shooting a 41 and a 42. Very happy with the way I played. Due to the weather here, I didn't get a chance to practice before playing in the league.

Gregg
04-23-2018, 10:10 PM
I believe that spring has finally arrived! Golf league started and I played two rounds shooting a 41 and a 42. Very happy with the way I played. Due to the weather here, I didn't get a chance to practice before playing in the league.

Wow, nice start!

What is the best round you have shot in league?

Mithrandir
04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Wow, nice start!

What is the best round you have shot in league?

Thanks!

The league plays on four different 9-hole courses.The best i have ever shot was a 36 on par 35 course (easiest of the 4). I have shot a few 37's on the 2nd and 3rd hardest/easiest nine. On the most difficult nine, probably a 39 or 40.

chancellor
04-24-2018, 03:36 PM
I'll be starting to play again this year after a seven year layoff. Should be entertaining.

Mithrandir
04-24-2018, 03:53 PM
I'll be starting to play again this year after a seven year layoff. Should be entertaining.

Oh yeah! In a league or just getting out when you can?

chancellor
04-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Oh yeah! In a league or just getting out when you can?

I'll probably sub in a league, and then try and get out for 18 every other weekend. There's a group from work that puts together 2-4 foursomes with some really good Groupon deals at local courses every weekend so it's pretty easy to join them.

Mithrandir
04-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Had a beautiful evening for my League last night.

Temperature in upper 40's....windy...slight drizzle most of the time.

Shot a 45. Struck the ball very well. Lost strokes around the green. it was one of those rounds where I hit the ball well, but didn't score that great.

My opponent had a brutal time though. Shot a 57, so I won 7/9 points. (Leaque is match play for 9 holes)

Mithrandir
05-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Been playing pretty good the last two weeks. Striking the ball better than I ever have.

Shot 38 last week and 40 last night.

Gregg
06-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Been playing pretty good the last two weeks. Striking the ball better than I ever have.

Shot 38 last week and 40 last night.

Very nice!

I played Friday afternoon...poorly. Shot 51-46. Butchered the par 3's.

Mithrandir
06-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Very nice!

I played Friday afternoon...poorly. Shot 51-46. Butchered the par 3's.

Had a 44 last week. Two poor tee shots and a very poor decision on a second shot cost me strokes. I did win 5.5 /9 points though in my match.

I'm currently in 9th place in my 26 man league (top 16 make the playoffs)

Mithrandir
07-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Anyone???

Anyone hitting the links at all this summer?

Mithrandir
09-24-2018, 09:40 AM
TIGER!!!!

He is back!!

chancellor
09-24-2018, 10:38 AM
TIGER!!!!

He is back!!

Short of Ben Hogan coming back from an auto accident that nearly killed him nad three years later winning three majors, this is the greatest comeback in golf.

Mithrandir
04-14-2019, 11:56 AM
The Masters is fantastic so far . Great leaderboard.

Gregg
04-14-2019, 12:01 PM
The Masters is fantastic so far . Great leaderboard.

Tiger missing a good birdie opportunity to close the three shot gap.

Molinari with a great par to keep the shot lead.

Mithrandir
04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Tiger tied after 13.

Gregg
04-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Tiger tied after 13.

Historic ending. Really fun to watch.

Judge Jude
04-14-2019, 06:11 PM
- his tee shot at 16 was vintage "step on their throats" Tiger.

- the celebration and fans chanting TI-GER! TI-GER!" as he hugged his family was cool.

- the fact that he could win any major after all the surgeries he has had is incredible.

I just wish his rivals hadn't collectively soiled themselves as part of the show.

two years ago, Phil Mickelson was in the hunt to win the British Open entering the final round, and he shot a 65 - the lowest he has ever shot in a final round at a major. Henrik Stenson shot 63. the level of golf these two played - they were about 10 shots ahead of the next in the field - was incredible.

there was another "can you top this?" the same year at The Masters, with Sergio Garcia and Justin Rose one-upping each other.

today, four of the five guys playing in the last two groups who are not named TIGER dunked their 150-yard, par-3 tee shots into Rae's Creek on the 12th hole. I'd like to credit Tiger's opposing-golfer defense, but....

Francesco Molinari, playing alongside Tiger, had a 3-shot lead midway through the round - then made two double-bogeys on the back-9 (he found Rae's Creek on the 15th hole as well).

credit to Tiger from playing so smartly - "Never interrupt your enemies when they are making a mistake."

Mithrandir
04-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Those 4 balls in the water at 12th were stunning. One or maybe two of them dunking it, but 4!!

Tiger looked vintage Tiger-like, so I see no reason to think that he can't win a few more tourney's or majors this year (IF the physical side holds up).

Judge Jude
04-15-2019, 09:51 AM
the next two majors are the PGA (moved from August to May) at Bethpage Black on Long Island (I used to play this course!) and the US Open at Pebble Beach in June. Tiger has previously won majors at both sites.

the PGA will be nuts. the NY region's favorite golfer is Mickelson, for his "go for it" risk-taking. but that crowd loves the comeback story most of all. Tiger will be walking the course like a rock star.