Real Effects of the Russians Hacking Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Effects of the Russians Hacking Elections

So let's talk about the real effects that the Russian hacking will have moving forward. Seems like an appropriate time as we see the Electoral College meeting today to place Donald Trump on the Inaugural Platform on Jan. 20, 2017.

My take:

- Obama does nothing in his last month to "punish" Putin and the Russians. Showing again a complete weakness in his last 6 months of office. He prefers to let Trump make a decision on this issue.
    - Trump does little, if anything, to punish Putin and the Russians on the hacking.
    - Congress holds hearing with no real change or outcomes.
    - Trump uses this increase his rhetoric of isolationism and manages to bring in some of the more moderate Democrats.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

One of the more interesting things to me will be if/how this organizationally changes cybersecurity in the west. Many of us in the IT world have been seeing how increasingly vulnerable we are ... with so much now being automated, email hacking is just the tip of the iceberg.

Or for a different angle, accessing/reading elected officials' confidential email is one thing ... what if other nations are able to intercept & replace email content?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
      So let's talk about the real effects that the Russian hacking will have moving forward. Seems like an appropriate time as we see the Electoral College meeting today to place Donald Trump on the Inaugural Platform on Jan. 20, 2017.

My take:

- Obama does nothing in his last month to "punish" Putin and the Russians. Showing again a complete weakness in his last 6 months of office. He prefers to let Trump make a decision on this issue.
      - Trump does little, if anything, to punish Putin and the Russians on the hacking.
      - Congress holds hearing with no real change or outcomes.
      - Trump uses this increase his rhetoric of isolationism and manages to bring in some of the more moderate Democrats.
      I don't think that any of the democrats come over to Trump, unless he shows that he's actually the moderate that some think that he is. Nobody really wants isolationism, not when you consider how much of our economy is based on other countries investing in the US, and supplying us with goods that we want/need. That ship has likely sailed.

Agree that Trump will do nothing other than to continue to cozy up to the Russian.

Also agree that Obama does little in his last month, although I hope that I'm wrong.

It's a GOP congress, so agree again that little or nothing gets done.

What I DO think happens is that the private sector really ramps up it's security measures, if for no other reason that there's an enormous profit incentive to do so. I know my company is crazy about cyber security, so I have no doubt that they'd go in whole hog if someone could demonstrate that they have an effective blocking method to outside hacking.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
      X