Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, Dog Lovers - What Kind Of Dog Is This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Dog Lovers - What Kind Of Dog Is This?

This is Brielle, our adorable little mutt we picked up from a rescue program last year...

We could never quite figure out what breed(s) she was, so just for fun, we got a DNA panel on her. We got the results last night - anyone care to guess which five dominant breeds make up this little girl?

My wife and I guessed completely wrong; between us, we were 0-for-5.

Can the Sports Bar do better? Have at it!
    Last edited by senorsheep; 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

That is one cute pup.

I'd guess border collie, golden retriever, russell terrier, and I'll say beagle and german shephard, just because they are popular breeds so some of their dna is likely to be in there. But I played it safe with popular breeds, and since you were 0-5, I suspect I must be wrong on most of these, since I imagine you figured on some popular breeds being in there.

The flaring on the chest and legs reminds me of my cavlier king charles, but the muzzle and ears are so different, I shied away from putting a spaniel in there, but spaniels as a group are very popular, so I probably should have put one in the mix.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-29-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

DNA panel for dogs?

I hear commercials for this and it sound like quite a scam

https://www.23andme.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        That is one cute pup.

I'd guess border collie, golden retriever, russell terrier, and I'll say beagle and german shephard, just because they are popular breeds so some of their dna is likely to be in there. But I played it safe with popular breeds, and since you were 0-5, I suspect I must be wrong on most of these, since I imagine you figured on some popular breeds being in there.

The flaring on the chest and legs reminds me of my cavlier king charles, but the mussle and ears are so different, I shied away from putting a spaniel in there, but spaniels as a group are very popular, so I probably should have put one in the mix.
        You scored on the border collie.

We had both guessed golden retriever, but her color comes from another golden breed.

Not a russell terrier, but another kind of terrier...
        Last edited by senorsheep; 09-29-2016, 12:59 PM.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Australian shepherd, border collie, labrador retriever, pit bull terrier, heeler.

I don't know much about dogs.
          Australian shepherd is close - that was another one we guessed. The judges will accept it. She's part Australian cattle dog.

And she's from your neck of the woods. She was found wandering the mean streets of Albuquerque.

Comment

I would have said Golden retriever, German Shepperd as well, but apparently not ... how about an Akita for a long shot?

I also would have said pit bull ... there's something about the mouth.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              I also would have said pit bull ... there's something about the mouth.
              If I can find a straight-on face shot of her with her mouth open and her tongue out, it might be a giveaway. She has the face, but not the color, of a well-known breed.

Her reddish-gold color comes from another well-known breed that she looks nothing like.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Chow chow? Purple tongue? If so, that's awesome.
                Ding! Ding! Ding!

No purple tongue, but that's where the color comes from, and probably some of the fluffiness.

Comment

I would have said pit bull as well.

How about some Irish Setter in there?

Comment

and she's clearly got some of that happy-mud-dog in her.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I would have said pit bull as well.

How about some Irish Setter in there?
                      Nope. Her other dominant strain is great Pyrenees. You can't really see it in this picture because her face is smooshed, but if you get a shot of her straight on, she definitely has the eyes and snout.

There's some American Staffordshire terrier in the mix, too, but it doesn't show.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        and she's clearly got some of that happy-mud-dog in her.
                        She is certainly happy; a real sweetheart. She's still a bit neurotic and clingy, understandably, like she thinks we might toss her out. She's getting better about that; hopefully, with time, she'll figure out we're not going to ditch her, and she'll relax a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          Nope. Her other dominant strain is great Pyrenees. You can't really see it in this picture because her face is smooshed, but if you get a shot of her straight on, she definitely has the eyes and snout.

There's some American Staffordshire terrier in the mix, too, but it doesn't show.
                          The Staffy is what I see as pit bull. I see some around the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            If I can find a straight-on face shot of her with her mouth open and her tongue out, it might be a giveaway. She has the face, but not the color, of a well-known breed.

Her reddish-gold color comes from another well-known breed that she looks nothing like.
                            With that coat, I thought corgi. It's hard to tell leg length from the pic.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                            X