Is our game growing or in decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is our game growing or in decline?

Do you think Fantasy Baseball is growing or in decline? It seems that it is harder to get good replacements for established leagues. Is this a sign of lack of interest?

Seems like fantasy football is a lot easier to grasp, and less skill is involved. I imagine once people break in at that level, it's tough to get them to try something much more challenging (ducks to avoid being hit in head with tossed vase by fantasy football lovers).

We haven't had a new owner in our league since 2002, and it might not be easy to get a suitable replacement. A couple of our owners play in a couple of different leagues, though, and that's probably where we'd recruit from....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

It's on the increase in Ireland, am happy to say. But fantasy football (NFL) is increasing much faster.

Have to say I don't enjoy fantasy football at all. There's very little subtlety to the game.

Comment

It's a sad metaphor for our society in general. I'm only half kidding.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          It's a sad metaphor for our society in general. I'm only half kidding.
          I more than half agree, and I'm not kidding at all.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I think too many owners are now stretching themselves with multiple leagues and I think the sophistication of leagues as well as the amount of time baseball demands over football, have turned the casual fantasy baseball player off. We have peaked and are now in decline, although still very popular.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I also think the fact that the internet allow people to play fantasy baseball without leaving your house makes it harder for people to play in actual drafts. I play in two live drafts and I have a very hard time making it to both. Life just gets in the way these days.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                I also think the fact that the internet allow people to play fantasy baseball without leaving your house makes it harder for people to play in actual drafts. I play in two live drafts and I have a very hard time making it to both. Life just gets in the way these days.
                This. I think more people are playing online against strangers and fewer people are getting together in person for live drafts/auctions with friends and colleagues. Even my local league has had to do an online auction over multiple weeknights the past three years because we can never find a weekend date that everyone is free.

Comment

the live auction/draft is going by the wayside due to the convenience of online drafting. I know its great to get together with friends but I know for my football auction I have 5 guys that drive at least 2 hours to get there and one warrior (phantaciephreak) drives up from Tennesee.
                  My baseball auction is online because of the same geographical issues with guys from Tennesee, Texas, Massachusettes, etc. With many of my leaguemates who join at some point from RJ, its not feasible to do it live.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    the live auction/draft is going by the wayside due to the convenience of online drafting. I know its great to get together with friends but I know for my football auction I have 5 guys that drive at least 2 hours to get there and one warrior (phantaciephreak) drives up from Tennesee.
                    My baseball auction is online because of the same geographical issues with guys from Tennesee, Texas, Massachusettes, etc. With many of my leaguemates who join at some point from RJ, its not feasible to do it live.
                    I guess it depends what you're looking to get out of your fantasy league participation. For me, actually getting together with folks for the auction is a huge part of the fun. It's why I've flown from NY/NJ to Dallas for the last five years despite the fact that the cost of the trip is more than I could reasonably hope to pull back in winnings. I'm bummed that I won't be able to make the trip this year (since my second child is due in March and I can't reasonably ask my wife to handle a toddler and a newborn by herself so I can have a guy's weekend), but I'm sure planning to get myself back there for next Spring. There's nothing more fun for me than a live draft auction.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      I guess it depends what you're looking to get out of your fantasy league participation. For me, actually getting together with folks for the auction is a huge part of the fun. It's why I've flown from NY/NJ to Dallas for the last five years despite the fact that the cost of the trip is more than I could reasonably hope to pull back in winnings. I'm bummed that I won't be able to make the trip this year (since my second child is due in March and I can't reasonably ask my wife to handle a toddler and a newborn by herself so I can have a guy's weekend), but I'm sure planning to get myself back there for next Spring. There's nothing more fun for me than a live draft auction.
                      agreed but you arent making it this year (understandably so) and these things seem to come up more often than not when youre talking about married men with children.

Comment

The game itself is growing. The game as we die-hards practice it (in-person, auction format, only leagues, original rules or slight modifications thereof) is in decline.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

It seems that it's becoming more of a niche thing while fantasy football is becoming more mainstream. Might have to do with the format - the W-L thing gives you some instant gratification week to week, whereas roto baseball definitely is more of a long term affair.

Comment

I never quite understand when someone can't make the live draft. it's one day a year. Barring unforeseen emergencies, get your a$$ to the draft. My league on the last Sunday in March. I know it so i clear that day. end of story.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              I never quite understand when someone can't make the live draft. it's one day a year. Barring unforeseen emergencies, get your a$$ to the draft. My league on the last Sunday in March. I know it so i clear that day. end of story.
                              so if your brother or sister are having their daughters sweet 16 on that day and it was scheduled only 3 months in advance where your draft date was set 6 months ago, you blow it off? Some commitments come up after draft dates are set.

Comment

Working...
                              X