80's arcade video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's arcade video games

Arcades in the 80's were rough. Your mom didn't want to be there. The games were even rougher. Here's the toughest games of the decade.

the green guys aren't really a problem. as you can see on the left one of them starting it's attack run. it's slow and mostly vertical and he actually try's to get fancy about it. but it's the purple guys that always worried me. they swing much wider. in the beginning the purple ones will send one scout at a time on one of the ends, just to try to rattle you a little. almost like it's showing off. and the red guys they think they're all badass because they fly in formation with the yellow guy. but when the red guys come the purple guys don't go after you. presumably because they want to let the flagship have it's moment.

it's when the green guys end up forcing you into a corner and the alien horde starts moving the opposite way and the purple guys get evil. and they make what seems like a vertical dive and then slingshot while you're trapped in the corner, like they are defying the laws of gravity, and sweep horizontally across and kamikaze.

Galaxian. I played that one. I was more a Galaga fan.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Some of my favorites from that site:

Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Tempest was my favorite 80's video game
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

My favorite early 1980s games were Defender, Joust, Spy Hunter and Elevator Action. My favorite late 1980s games were Smash TV & Heavy Barrel.

I used to play Smash TV with a college buddy at the arcade in our student union building; when the game came out for the XBox 20 years later, we finally completed it!

Comment

very early 80's, I spent a LOT of quarters on Space Invaders & Ms. Pac-man. Got to the point where I had to get the high score on every Ms. Pac-man machine I came across.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

For my 12th birthday (1987) my 10 year old sister gave me $10 in quarters. Unrolled, packed neatly in two rows in a box.

A birthday gift I remember over all others.

Comment

That was great - I played a ton of GORF but I was the Carnival master at 2 arcades (but no one cared)

Couldn't play Robotron worth a damn and we all envyed the fat kid that could.

My buddy was the Tempest master

Comment

Cool chain of bars in Ohio, craft beer, and if your drinking the games are free. Love me some Gauntlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                    We all know you play Journey on that site.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                      Cool chain of bars in Ohio, craft beer, and if your drinking the games are free. Love me some Gauntlet.

http://www.16-bitbar.com/cleveland
                      This looks awesome! I might have to head up there!

Comment

That's awesome.

I don't know about where you guys grew up, but in Brooklyn we had some arcades of course, but mainly you'd find arcade games at the local pizza place, convenience/drug store, and in the case of Gauntlet in the summer of '86, at a local car service dispatcher. I spent many a quarter at that place!

Your life force is running out!

Comment

There is one of these near me in Dallas as well. All the games are free play, but you pay a $10 cover charge. They serve beer and food as well.

My parents bowled when the video game craze was hitting big so I would find ways to get change save up quarters all week to take with me to the arcade at the bowling alley. There were about 10 games in the arcade, pretty good for a bowling alley. I rarely saw my parents until it was time to leave. There were several other kids who usually went on the same night. It was alot of fun. We would alternate playing games and eating sugar out of the little packets at the snack bar. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Red warrior needs food - badly!
                            Yum!!
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                            X