Local politics. ..is this legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local politics. ..is this legal?

City council and mayor appointed someone to a local board this past Monday, but the notice in the paper said that they would be taking applications until today. Is that a legal appointment?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Yes it's legal
    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Probably not, unless there's a local ordinance requiring that vacancies on local boards to be posted in the newspaper for a specific period of time before an appointment can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Probably not, unless there's a local ordinance requiring that vacancies on local boards to be posted in the newspaper for a specific period of time before an appointment can be made.
        I'm not sure what you mean. You seem to be contradicting yourself or else I don't follow.

Thanks.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I'm not sure what you mean. You seem to be contradicting yourself or else I don't follow.

Thanks.
          It's only illegal if the Council has a law on the books requiring that vacancies to appointed Boards be posted/advertised for a specific period of time before an appointment can be made. Most likely, there is no such law on the books, so they'd be free to approve the appointment whenever they choose. But I don't have the time (or the desire) to research your City's local laws/ordinances.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            It's only illegal if the Council has a law on the books requiring that vacancies to appointed Boards be posted/advertised for a specific period of time before an appointment can be made. Most likely, there is no such law on the books, so they'd be free to approve the appointment whenever they choose. But I don't have the time (or the desire) to research your City's local laws/ordinances.
            So it's probably legal but shady.

Comment

"It's only illegal if there's a law that was broken" - B-Fly

Thanks buddy, how many years of law school did you need to nail that one down?
              I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Don't suppose the paper could have printed the notice late?

Or that there may be more than one position on the Board to be filled?

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post

That usually comes up in the second year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Don't suppose the paper could have printed the notice late?

Or that there may be more than one position on the Board to be filled?
                    Notice was in paper on August 13. Said letters of application could be sent until August 26. Appointment was made august 22.

Comment

Notice was in paper on August 13. Said letters of application could be sent until August 26. Appointment was made august 22.
                      You could still send 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        You could still send 'em.
                        But the appointment was made already.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post

That right there ain't book learnin'. That's street smarts.

Comment

But the appointment was made already.
                            Is the appointee coming and standing in front of your mailbox to prevent you from sending in your application? Didn't think so.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              Is the appointee coming and standing in front of your mailbox to prevent you from sending in your application? Didn't think so.
                              Waiting for more info to fill in later for the Law & Order twist in Mith's question...
                              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                              X