The Democratic National Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Democratic National Convention

So now that the fun is over in Cleveland, it should be interesting to see what happens Philly.

WikiLeaks dumps some DNC emails prior to the festivities....... no comment from the Sanders camp yet.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I assume these lawsuits happen all the time, but DNC/DWS is being sued for election fraud among other things by a group of Sanders supporters.

I see a shit storm brewing in Philly...........
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I think that it's going to be pretty quiet myself, Bernie has done his job and shifted the platform quite a bit to the left. He's on board and dogging Trump, if not necessarily being the most ardent HRC supporter. The Superdelegate Amendment failed today, and that was probably the biggest bone of contention, although it got the 25% needed for a minority report to bring it back up on the floor during the convention. It'll fail again there though.

Democratic conventions are usually fairly loud and messy affairs, but in the end they figure out the right direction they want to go.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I assume these lawsuits happen all the time, but DNC/DWS is being sued for election fraud among other things by a group of Sanders supporters.

I see a shit storm brewing in Philly...........
        I think there would have been a shit storm no matter what. There is absolutely nothing Hillary could have done to satisfy the #neverhillary crowd other than withdraw from the race and then kill herself.

I read the lawsuit paperwork. The Berners have been talking about election fraud for months, but most of the claims have been either very vague or based upon things that networks do (and have done for years). The one new/specific claim is the exit poll claim. They say they know Bernie was cheated because according to the exit polls he should have gotten more votes. You will read that for the exit polls to be as far off as they were is a statistical impossibility. And you will read that in states where there was paper backup to confirm the vote, that Bernie did better.

There are dozens of problems with the exit poll argument, but I'll just give you a couple. (Wow, that extra major in poly sci comes in handy.) Exit polls have been very valuable in monitoring elections overseas against fraud, because they have proven reliable overseas. They have not, empirically, proven reliable in the United States. They didn't prove reliable in Obama's primary elections, or in Kerry's. And everyone remembers the well-known "Bradley Effect". Are there any reasons to think there might be any factors to skew the results in a Sanders/Clinton race?

Well, here we go: 1) The least likely to share voting information with a exit pollster are older voters, while the most likely are younger voters. The older voters trended toward Clinton, while the younger voters tended toward Sanders. See where this is going? 2) Which exit pollsters are the least/most likely to get a response? The younger pollsters are likelier to get responses from younger voters, and least likely to get responses from older voters. The opposite trend applies. In the Clinton/Sanders primaries, most of the sites relied upon young exit pollsters. 3) U.S. elections (unlike the foreign ones we monitor) have absentee ballots. In this year's Democratic primaries, absentee ballots tended to trend heavily toward Hillary Clinton. There were no exit polls for absentee ballots.

Then there is the thing about states with paper backup vs. no paper backup. At first glance, this seems like weak sauce. Small states have paper backup. Most really big states, like California, do not.

They may get their day in court, but my point here is that if an old country lawyer from Arkansas can see potential flaws in their case after looking at it for a few minutes, then then the top talent the DNC will no doubt hire will give them all they can handle.

The last deal with the Wikileaks thing on whether Bernie is an atheist. I don't have a huge issue on this. I'd say a couple of people should be fired. I would feel much stronger about it if someone had actually done something instead of actually talking about doing something. If there was more than a couple of staffers swapping an email talking about how they wished someone would question Bernie about his religion, that would be a thing.

Comment

Fare thee well, Debbie. Lots like your BS finally caught up with you.
          Hopefully, Canova can knock her out in the primary too.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
            Fare thee well, Debbie. Lots like your BS finally caught up with you.
            Hopefully, Canova can knock her out in the primary too.
            Good riddance indeed!

ETA: I thought she has resigned.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Sanders has called for her resignation prior to the DNC.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I believe DWS was relieved off all substantial duties some time ago. She needed to be let go a long time ago. She was not a good chair and IMO didn't make the party stronger.

Comment

Shoe drops, Debbie Wasserman Schultz does indeed announce her resignation from the DNC chair.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Is it true there is a breakout session titled, "Email, The Bane of Democrats"
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      The last deal with the Wikileaks thing on whether Bernie is an atheist. I don't have a huge issue on this. I'd say a couple of people should be fired. I would feel much stronger about it if someone had actually done something instead of actually talking about doing something. If there was more than a couple of staffers swapping an email talking about how they wished someone would question Bernie about his religion, that would be a thing.
                      One of those "staffers" was Amy Dacey, the CEO of the DNC. Whether or not the staged inquisitions actually went down at any Sanders appearances in southern states, expressing approval for a plan to exploit religious bigotry is pretty disgusting in my book. An ethical person would have fired that clown immediately for that e-mail.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                        Is it true there is a breakout session titled, "Email, The Bane of Democrats"
                        Maybe Hillary is now starting to understand the importance of e-mail security?
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Interesting that there is little/no conversation related to the DNC email leak. I saw something about the way the DNC discussed the Mexican populous and frankly I didnt find it necessarily offensive. It was essentially profiling of a voting block. So at least regarding that part of the leak - I dont think there was much to see there. There is likely more smoke/fire regarding attempts to keep Bernie held down, (though I honestly dont know how much there is there).

I didnt watch any of the RNC and honestly am more interested in seeing the show the DNC puts on.

Ive made up my mind, but Im curious to see if HRC blows up here.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Ah, Hillary is such a Uniter. Looks like the left and right agree on the cheer " Lock her up!"
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                              Interesting that there is little/no conversation related to the DNC email leak.
                              I am curious what the Jewish dog whistle crowd thinks about the DNC CEO responding with a hearty "AMEN" to the suggestion that Bernie's Jewish heritage could be used against him in southern states.

Comment

Working...
                              X