Planning a trip To DC looking for info/tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a trip To DC looking for info/tips

I am very tentatively planning a trip to DC on 7/22-7/25. Right now the plan is to hit the Nationals game on Friday night, Site see on Saturday and then take the train to Baltimore on Sunday for the Oriole's afternoon game and returning to DC that night. In regards to hotels, best place to stay eat I know nothing about either city. We do not plan to rent a car. We typically use a travel agent but I was hoping to cut out the middle man this time.

I have checked Expedia and could get air fare and hotel for my wife and I for around $900 depending on where we wanted to stay. I thought we would stay in downtown DC for the site seeing and its close to Nationals Park. When we were in Boston and San Fran they had bus tours so I assume DC would have something similar.

So what sites etc are musts do's or are easily skip able. The Mrs. isn't much of a dedicated walker and is more of a slower pace meander-er which suits me as well. So that is a big factor in deciding what and how much to see. She has been to DC before but I have not (other than a weekend at College Park for a tournament 20+ years ago). Any great restaurants in either DC or Baltimore that are musts? Other than the baseball games any other activities are on the table so to speak. We are regular folks with no refined tastes so fancy dining usually does not interest us. Anything that is a must eat at either ballpark? I do plan to have crab cakes at Camden yards.

Tickets for the Nationals game seem to be very expensive. I have never used Stub hub or similar sites for tickets but I think I may have to due that for at the games. I have never actually booked through Expedia or those sites either. I tend to have a fear of these type of sites which I am sure is irrational.

Any help is appreciated.
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

oyster.com for hotel search

check directly on website for westjet, american airlines etc...then hit hotwire, expedia, etc for flight cost

Do a little work yourself, cut out middle man (travel agent), and you'll save some dollars.

As for things to do in those cities, I haven't got a clue.

Good luck

Comment

If you want to see the monuments, memorials, etc, there is a bit of walking involved unless you do some kind of tour. They're pretty well-spaced apart. There is not much in that area as far as restaurants go though unless you want to eat at the museum cafeterias, but you might be able to find some food trucks along the roads. I've only been to the Air and Space, National History, and Natural History museums, but those are all excellent if those topics interest you.

Comment

Yeah, Washington DC is a big-time walking trip. I think there's a Segway tour if you want to use that, but there's certainly bus tours around aplenty.

I just went to the Museum of American History a couple of months ago and it was good, not especially great. In fact, unfortunately, I find many of the Smithsonian museums to be kinda dated (similar to their Metro system!). The best Smithsonian museum -- by far, IMO -- is the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum, but it's at Dulles Airport and you'd need a car to get there (keep in mind this museum is different than the National Air & Space Museum in the mall, which is also easily the most crowded).

Comment

I went with my wife many years ago. We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast that was near Dupont Circle. It was a great location. Not a short walk to the subway, but it wasn't daunting either. On the bus route to get to all the attractions. There are probably plenty of places on VRBO or HomeAway that will be better/equivalent to a hotel room with better rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
            Any help is appreciated.
            I think there's a new Hampton Inn right across the street from Nats Park ... I see people on the roof deck looking down into the stadium ... it's right on top of the Navy Yard metro too. So that's a possible hotel in DC.

Comment

In DC, I've been to the Smithsonian and the monuments, and also the National Zoo. The Zoo is free, and a short trip from the Smithsonian on the Metro, but it's a fairly lengthy walk from the nearest Metro station and it sits on a bit of a hill. I really enjoy the American Indian Museum and the Natural History Museum, but as Revo said many of the museums can be dated. My wife and I went last summer and figured we'd hit the monuments later in the day. Even at 9 pm, the Lincoln Memorial was packed with people. The crowd takes away from the majesty.

Baltimore's Inner Harbor is nice and I heard Federal Hill is a great place to go but never been there.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Which airport is the best to use?
                Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
                  Which airport is the best to use?
                  DCA (Reagan National). By far the most accessible, especially if you are using public transportation. If DCA costs $50-$80 more than another airport, still worth it to choose DCA over Dulles or BWI because you'll avoid two taxi fares.

Comment

Working...
                  X