2K11: Mike Pelfrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Mike Pelfrey

It was a tale of streaks in 2010 for Big Pelf. His 1st half was stellar, and he seemingly was overlooked for a deserved spot on the NL All-Star team.

Then he $hit the bed in a fashion not seen in these parts since Chien-Ming Wang's unbelievable implosion to start the '08 season. After starting the year 10-2, he went 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA and 2.53 WHIP across July & early August.

But the hand licker didn't give up and rebounded with a solid stretch run, finishing the year 15-9 with a 3.66 ERA and 1.38 WHIP.

So while he seemingly made a solid step forward, a closer look at his stats reveals much of the same over his career. His H/9, BB/9, K/9, K/BB% and HR/9 have all remained virtually the same in every season of his 4-year career.

So which Pelfrey shows up in 2011? The guy who won 15 games last year, or the one who posted a 5.03 ERA and 1.51 WHIP the year before?

Erring on the side of caution, I'll go with his career norms:
    13 W
    4.30 ERA
    1.46 WHIP
    116 K

....and probably let him slide to the Met fans in my league!

I think he is who we think he is. His K/9 was 4.99 and his BB/9 was 3.00. He went through stretches where his K/9 and K/BB were much better but he also had stretches where things were much worse. He had a career low in GB% last year but it was still 47.8% and only down a couple points. He keeps the ball down and Citi Field really helps him suppress the HRs. He walks too many guys and allows a high BABIP because of all the ground balls. His WHIP will be ugly, but his ERA won't be so bad. He won't help you in Ks. I think his performance will depend a LOT on Jose Reyes' health and range, and what the Mets do at 2B. Wright and Ike are very good at the corners. Reyes can be a plus range guy (with an erratic glove) if he's right. But if they play Murphy at 2B... yeesh.

For a buck you could pair him with Nolasco and maybe get decent performance in an NL-only league.

Comment

Working...
    X