Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not only is universal health care a basic right in a civilized country....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not only is universal health care a basic right in a civilized country....

I'd argue that it is a matter of national security, as 99% of our enemies have no chance to hurt us significantly with anything EXCEPT a bioweapon, and universal health care is our front line defense against bioweapons
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

the idea of universal healthcare is the same as the idea behind global warming. we know that we can't afford to keep doing either one. but we have to trust that a solution will be discovered. in global warming it's called faith in science (or for republicans faith in the economy growing big enough from polluting to afford to discover a solution). and i reckon in heathcare it's called faith in ppl. that growing the US population big enough that we can discover a solution to healthcare with human capital.

that might not make sense but the alternative to both is killing the economy and killing older ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      I'd argue that it is a matter of national security, as 99% of our enemies have no chance to hurt us significantly with anything EXCEPT a bioweapon, and universal health care is our front line defense against bioweapons
      It's early in the morning and I didn't get much sleep, but I am not sure if this is a serious post or not.

Comment

Profit > Health

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          the idea of universal healthcare is the same as the idea behind global warming. we know that we can't afford to keep doing either one. but we have to trust that a solution will be discovered. in global warming it's called faith in science (or for republicans faith in the economy growing big enough from polluting to afford to discover a solution). and i reckon in heathcare it's called faith in ppl. that growing the US population big enough that we can discover a solution to healthcare with human capital.

that might not make sense but the alternative to both is killing the economy and killing older ppl.
          I am a little worried about them killing older peo

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I am a little worried about them killing older peo
            I see what you did there...
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              I bet killing older people would actually help the economy quite a bit. We should start immediately. Where steve?
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                I bet killing older people would actually help the economy quite a bit. We should start immediately. Where steve?
                Steve Steve, Hornsby Steve, or both?

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                  It's early in the morning and I didn't get much sleep, but I am not sure if this is a serious post or not.
                  100% serious, right now, only Russia and China can "significantly" hurt us with their nukes, ie, wipeout more than 3 or 4 cities with suitcase nukes. Bad, but we'd shake it off no matter which 4 cities got it. A bioweapon on the other hand could reduce our population by 50% or more.
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    100% serious, right now, only Russia and China can "significantly" hurt us with their nukes, ie, wipeout more than 3 or 4 cities with suitcase nukes. Bad, but we'd shake it off no matter which 4 cities got it. A bioweapon on the other hand could reduce our population by 50% or more.
                    and healthcare would stop that. okaaaay...
                    ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                      and healthcare would stop that. okaaaay...
                      The fact that we have so many people uninsured, and using our emergency rooms for basic health care is a huge vunerability for us. The US needs everyone getting regular checkups, vaccinations, and keeping more health care trained professionals dispursed into the community in smaller clinics vs large hospitals that can get overwhelmed by a single infection.

Comment

While this is an extreme example, preventive health care could potentially benefit the nation significantly.

First, it is common for people with no health insurance to simply go to the hospital ER whenever they feel sick. The hospital is unlikely to have any decent record on the patient, and are required to perform a lot of extra tests to avoid liability.

Second, there are a large number of low-income people that you want to seek preventative care. People who work part-time or who's wages are based on tips are likely to not have health insurance. That's a lot of food industry employees, from field workers to restaurant staff to your local grocery.

Among other issues... first, using preventative care would be a cultural shift for a lot of people. i.e. simply making the care available may not be enough. Second, the positive economic impact is not immediate or easily measurable. That's great for the Freakonomics guys, not good for politicians.
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

While this is an extreme example, preventive health care could potentially benefit the nation significantly.

First, it is common for people with no health insurance to simply go to the hospital ER whenever they feel sick. The hospital is unlikely to have any decent record on the patient, and are required to perform a lot of extra tests to avoid liability.

Second, there are a large number of low-income people that you want to seek preventative care. People who work part-time or who's wages are based on tips are likely to not have health insurance. That's a lot of food industry employees, from field workers to restaurant staff to your local grocery.

Among other issues... first, using preventative care would be a cultural shift for a lot of people. i.e. simply making the care available may not be enough. Second, the positive economic impact is not immediate or easily measurable. That's great for the Freakonomics guys, not good for politicians.
                          unfortunately, having health insurance will not stop people from shoving big macs and fries down their gullets, or letting their kids play call of duty 7 hours a day.
                          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

This man has my vote
                            I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Working...
                            X