do you guys play the game League of Legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you guys play the game League of Legends

it's free. i don't play against humans, just the bots. but your team is human.

I noticed that Lord Of The Rings online is now free. How do these failed MMPORG's make money without their monthly subscriptions?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      I noticed that Lord Of The Rings online is now free. How do these failed MMPORG's make money without their monthly subscriptions?
      "You're Goblin is sponsored by Jacks Link's Beefy Jerky"

Comment

there's a free battlestar galactica game but i haven't tried it. but league of legends was made by former world of warcraft ppl. the map is from that game. they make money from ppl buying characters (they add new ones every week or two), skins, spells etc..

im not a serious player enough to buy stuff. but i get free experience when playing and use that to buy a character i like. every week the free characters rotate. you guys should try it you'd like it. i never played world of warcraft before tho or any of those types of games.

Comment

They can sell certain things in the game - character customization, mounts, higher level cap, premium content, etc. There have been very successful online games that did not have a subscription, such as Guild Wars and Battle Field. They required the initial software plus expansion packs, but the initial software usually went down in price over time anyway. Since Lord of the Rings converted from pay+subscription to free, they're not that different from Guild Wars. They just aren't trying to sell the initial software anymore. Instead of looking for $30-50 from an expansion pack every x months, they're perhaps looking to make $5-10 at a time every month. And they're cutting out the middle man.

The next level is a game that starts free with no initial cost. That's possible for a company that is re-using some parts. Maybe they already have a transaction system, customer service and game mechanics from a different successful game.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

there's that game Entropia thats free and you put money into it and based on how successful you are, it converts that money to game credits then back to money. someone bought a meteor for $75,000 (in real money) developed it and sold it to someone for $335000 (real money). i don't play that game tho. it set the record for most expensive piece of virtual land.

Comment

Working...
            X