Free Speech vs Political Correctness - love this video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Speech vs Political Correctness - love this video

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

You're constantly argue that political correctness infringes on free speech.

It doesn't.

ANY idea can be used incorrectly as in this case both Free Speech and PC are/have been.

But as concepts, they are both excellent by their intent.

The definition of PC is as follows:

Agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

BE CAREFUL, not refrain from or stop altogether. I've mentioned this time and time again, it's about being considerate to others proclivities. You don't HAVE to, but it'd be nice if you did.

Being taken off the air or fired because of comments you make is NOT censorship, you can continue in many other forums to share your views in any manner you wish, but there ARE and have always BEEN consequences tied to sharing your opinion.

Like those who think gun laws, controls, regulations means taking your guns, those who think political correctness is taking away your free speech are just wrong.

I don't get this crusade of yours against basic consideration.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Also, most people making this argument fail to realize that the First Amendment prohibits the GOVERNMENT from infringing on your free speech, with special exemptions for stuff like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. It doesn't prohibit your employer or any other non-government actor who has authority over you from doing so.

In most cases, there are no laws against you acting like a racist douchebag, but there are also no laws preventing others from telling you that you're acting like a racist douchebag.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Also, most people making this argument fail to realize that the First Amendment prohibits the GOVERNMENT from infringing on your free speech, with special exemptions for stuff like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. It doesn't prohibit your employer or any other non-government actor who has authority over you from doing so.

In most cases, there are no laws against you acting like a racist douchebag, but there are also no laws preventing others from telling you that you're acting like a racist douchebag.
        Right. When Trump complained about how the protesters were violating his First Amendment rights, he illustrated how unclear he is on some basic Constitutional concepts. But, fortunately, he has a good brain, so maybe that will all get cleared up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          Right. When Trump complained about how the protesters were violating his First Amendment rights, he illustrated how unclear he is on some basic Constitutional concepts. But, fortunately, he has a good brain, so maybe that will all get cleared up soon.
          He's also got very good words...infact great words, he has some of the best words he's ever heard. That'll help him as well...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

The definition of PC is as follows:

Agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

And here's where we're going regarding 'offending' anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by the heat View Post
              And here's where we're going regarding 'offending' anyone.

https://youtu.be/X5YDVCAEMXE
              As with every response to this issue, this is taking it to the ridiculous extreme.

It's not hard to give a shit and think about what you say.

But hey, It's America so so whatever you'd like--Just don't bitch when it has consequences.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I dont believe that I have stated that Political Correctness specifically infringes on Political Correctness. I did post this as I found it pretty interesting that Maher a noted discusses his frustration with Political Correctness.

I agree - just to clarify - that Freedom of Speech clause is meant to prevent the government from censoring those things that I am allowed to say.

As an aside, I was watching Family Feud a couple days ago and the answer given as Fat. Rather than using the term fat on they used Size Challenged....

Cant we just say Fat or Overweight or Obese?
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  I dont believe that I have stated that Political Correctness specifically infringes on Political Correctness. I did post this as I found it pretty interesting that Maher a noted discusses his frustration with Political Correctness.

I agree - just to clarify - that Freedom of Speech clause is meant to prevent the government from censoring those things that I am allowed to say.

As an aside, I was watching Family Feud a couple days ago and the answer given as Fat. Rather than using the term fat on they used Size Challenged....

Sure you can say it, but how much mileage would you get by calling your wife or someone you cared about Fat or telling them their overweight or obese unless it was in the context of concern for their health and even then you'd probably be better received by using less inflammatory terminology.

Can't we just think abut what we're going to say before hand with a bit of consideration and respect?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I think of this issue much like the "curse words alternative" thread ... people can swear in public, there's no law against it ... but there are people who get offended by swear words, so most people try to be nice & watch their language on the bus.

The same principle applies ... people can say fat, or crippled, or retarded ... there's no law that says you can't ... but if some people try to get people to use nicer words that don't offend others, that seems like a good thing, doesn't it?
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I guess this height impaired, vision enhanced, follically challenged, size challenged, male with a Y chromosome would much rather have someone speak to me in terms that are more straight forward. Im a short, wearing glasses, have been bald for more than half my life, statistically obese, guy. None of those terms are offensive. They are what they are - fact.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        This is just a total non-issue.
                        agreed, the terminology people use is, well, mildly interesting, but ultimately a personal thing. Is it really a big deal whether Family Feud uses fat or weight-challenged?

what I find truly bizarre through is that this is used as an example of why so many Americans are supporting a potential leader who speaks in plain if crude language, as though this is more important than positions on foreign policy, national security policy, economic policy, immigration policy, climate change policy, ...
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I posted this as I found it interesting that noted lefties were the ones discussing their frustration with the PC thing.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Dennis Miller is not a "lefty".
                            Maher.........

Comment

I posted this as I found it interesting that noted lefties were the ones discussing their frustration with the PC thing.
                              ElD is right, Miller isn't a lefty and Maher is a comedian whose entire shtick is being politically Incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                              X