The History of RJ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of RJ.

As I look forward to moving ahead with our new home. I wanted to take time to remember our beginings.

This is as told by Byron when asked about the RJ start up Jan. 2002.

Interesting....

Well, RotoJunkie originally began as a way for Ric and I to teach ourselves web design. I had been a rotisserie nut for years and started up a work league where Ric joined. It was his first experience with Roto but he was a huge sports fan like myself and a superior writer.

So, in February of 1999 we launched RotoJunkie. We took alot of our inspiration from two very popular Houston fan sites that Ric introduced me to: clutchcity.net (probably the best fan site on the Internet) and astrosconnection.com.

My goal was to create an online community for intelligent rotisserie fans to congregate, in fact, we referred to ouselves as the "sports bar on the Internet."

To our good fortune, Bob Kohm quickly became a follower of the site and in the summer of 2000, when Ric decided to move on to other adventures, Bob became my partner.

I still am blown away that you guys continue to support us not only with your kind words but your donations. The money you guys contributed a few months ago went a long way to keeping this site going.

Rotisserie baseball really is a passion for me and I'm thrilled that you guys continue to let me share that passion with you.

I remember when Byron, I and Daniel all got into rotisserie baseball for the first time (predating RJ by several years) Imagine several uber competitive guys who liked baseball trying to find another way to beat each others asses (having already sparred at Poker, performing, forensics, and every sport out there), when we stumbled upon fantasy baseball--I still remember the night we chose the name of our league-- it was supposed to be called--Athletes Against Expansion Apparel' because that was the year the Rockies came into the league and we hated their unis, but as we sat drinking the night before opening day Byron uttered these fateful words. Come tomorrow, we're gonna be some 'Boxscore Hungry Freaks' and we all immediately voted to change the league name. Then it was helping Byron enter stats into spreadsheets, then giving Byron feedback on his RJ web pages, then on to the present. Good guys, who remain good friends 20 years later. Oh, and Boxscore Hungry Freaks is still in force, it's sometimes referred to the RJ staff league and still is a bitch to win.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I actually joined in fairly early but was so turned off by Fucla that I left for a few years. Which remains as his major contribution to the site...
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

wow, checking back into RJ, I didn't realize I joined back in 2004. I've known some of you guys for a LONG friggin' time. RJ and this group has meant a lot to me over the years. Thanks to all who have played an integral part in it. I look forward to continuing these relationships on the new site!
        -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

Originally posted by NakedRicci View Post
          wow, checking back into RJ, I didn't realize I joined back in 2004. I've known some of you guys for a LONG friggin' time. RJ and this group has meant a lot to me over the years. Thanks to all who have played an integral part in it. I look forward to continuing these relationships on the new site!
          Then you'll bring back the spinning skull ASAP. Barring that, an actual naked Ricci would be nice...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Then you'll bring back the spinning skull ASAP. Barring that, an actual naked Ricci would be nice...
            Hmm... I'll have to dig around for that file (unless I can just pull it back off of the RJ site). But what, you don't like the actual pic of ME? This is me as the insane redneck zombie killer in my feature film BEVERLY LANE that is currently hitting the film festival circuit.
            -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

Comment

Yep, joined 2004. Quite a while...

Comment

Originally posted by NakedRicci View Post
                Hmm... I'll have to dig around for that file (unless I can just pull it back off of the RJ site). But what, you don't like the actual pic of ME? This is me as the insane redneck zombie killer in my feature film BEVERLY LANE that is currently hitting the film festival circuit.
                Ah well, that makes a difference. I thought that it was just some run of the mill, ordinary insane redneck zombie killer.

So when can we see this on DVD?
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Ah well, that makes a difference. I thought that it was just some run of the mill, ordinary insane redneck zombie killer.

So when can we see this on DVD?

Frankly, I'd like to know that too! That's the reason for the festival push in the attempt to get a distributor to pick it up. I think odds are good based on the reviews it's been getting (I got a fairly good mention in a review by NerdRemix.com which was cool). I have a short film (LEAH NOT LEIA) that has a good chance at playing at the 2011 San Diego Comic Con and I've got two shoot days and some ADR work left to do on a 2nd feature I'm currently in production on (currently titled THE SECRETS OF ABBADON, INDIANA: LIGHTNING IN A BOTTLE). Hopefully, I'll be adding more projects for 2011. But I'll definitely post something when DVDs of BEVERLY LANE are available.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                    Yep, joined 2004. Quite a while...
                    August 03, 2004 for me. Yikes, maybe we need to get a life. Oh wait, this is it?
                    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I am coming close to my 7th year anniversary (2/5/04). I joined after a leaguemate (yourpalchrismal) posted one of our trades on the Assistant GM Board and pointed me to it to prove I was over valuating my players. I think I may have posted more than 8,000 time more than him, so I am glad he pointed me to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                        I am coming close to my 7th year anniversary (2/5/04). I joined after a leaguemate (yourpalchrismal) posted one of our trades on the Assistant GM Board and pointed me to it to prove I was over valuating my players. I think I may have posted more than 8,000 time more than him, so I am glad he pointed me to the site.
                        Your anniversary is my birthday.
                        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I lurked from 1999 until officially registering in 2001. Who remembers these days?

Comment

I just used random names from 1999-2000, depending on the point of the post. Not sure if registering was finally required in 2001, or before.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I was once told that the last number in this: ttp://www.rotojunkie.com/forums/member.php?u=91 was the number in order of sign up.

I think I came in about a month after it started (although I did not know that at the time). That made me the 91st member. I did lurk for a little while before I jumped in. I was a bit intimidated by the knowledge of the Founding Fathers and their friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X