Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows

So thru this and that, I need to get a registered version of Windows for my son's laptop. It's not the newest laptop, nor the fastest even when new (one of those $300 Black Friday deals a couple years back). I bought it off a co-worker, so I don't have any disks or whatever.

So, I need a safe place to purchase Windows, and money is a big factor. So cheap and safe is good! Oh, and in case I need to put it on his computer AGAIN (this will already be the second time) I can with whatever I bought.

Anything Windows 7 on up is fine. If I get him Windows 8, will a Windows 10 free upgrade happen automatically?

So, where should I buy it from? I've tried figuring it out, but I'm lost.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

What OS is currently on it? Only Windows 7 Ultimate and up got the free upgrade to Windows 10. As for it automatically happened I never saw an email from Microsoft that said I could download it. I found instructions on how to manually do it myself.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

No help for pogues, but seriously, you never got a message offering to upgrade you to 10? I got them on my screen like every other day!
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        No help for pogues, but seriously, you never got a message offering to upgrade you to 10? I got them on my screen like every other day!
        Not his computer, it's kinda messed up. So I want to start from scratch. His computer has had 7 on it.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Ah I understand now. Still your going to have to spend around $50-$85 on the DVDs. Ebay has some good prices just make sure buying from a good seller and not anyone with few ratings. Google showed some nice prices also, but I don't know those websites.

As for update yes you will get a notification that you can upgrade for free. Again I never was notified from Microsoft that I could upgrade so I found instructions from microsoft to do it myself.
          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Shouldnt your laptop have a windows key label on it? Just reinstall windows and use that key. There are quite a few places to download windows 7, were some legal places years ago, not sure if they still are around today. Then you can upgrade to 10 before the free upgrade expires.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              Shouldnt your laptop have a windows key label on it? Just reinstall windows and use that key. There are quite a few places to download windows 7, were some legal places years ago, not sure if they still are around today. Then you can upgrade to 10 before the free upgrade expires.
              Long story short, not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                Long story short, not an option.
                I've found MS to be quite lenient with the keys. I've built a new pc and used an old key on it just fine after doing an extra activation step. Just throwing that out there...

Eld's suggestion is prob your best bet. I've had a cheap key like that go bad before but maybe it was just my dumb bad luck. The last one I bought (on ebay) is working fine so far. The only thing much cheaper than $20 would be free for students maybe. Actually if you will accept something like a beta release of windows you might also get it free. And of course there's illegal pirating but I personally think anyone who does that for something as important as the OS is just nuts.

But for $20 I'd just do that and be done with it.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                X