San Fran in Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Fran in Jan

We're gonna be in town for a week of fun & frivolity, Jan 15-22. Looking for drinking partners. Fresno? Anyone else?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

We have a baby due sometime between Jan 12-19, so depending on timing I might be able to make it out, but it's pretty unlikely.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

c'mon, you can always have another baby ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'll be in town the 15th and 16th already (with tickets to Andy Cohen/Anderson Cooper one night and garrison keeler the next. How is that for an odd weekend?) Not sure if I can slip away from the people I'm with, but I could give it a shot if people are meeting up. Otherwise, i'd drive back in another night for something.
        Last edited by heyelander; 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I'm around, where are you staying?
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

update: I have no idea of my availability. My wife has been in the hospital since Tuesday and will be there until the baby comes, which will be sometime between tomorrow and Jan 19. So... maybe?
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              update: I have no idea of my availability. My wife has been in the hospital since Tuesday and will be there until the baby comes, which will be sometime between tomorrow and Jan 19. So... maybe?
              I hope everything is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                I'm around, where are you staying?
                We rented a flat through home away in the North Beach / Telegraph Hill area.

Do you call them flats down there?

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  We rented a flat through home away in the North Beach / Telegraph Hill area.

Do you call them flats down there?
                  yep, good spot for wandering, terrible for parking
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

There's no reason to have a car. If you want to take a day trip, get the car for just that day, and use public transportation or taxis/Uber within the city. Parking is bad everywhere, though it is particularly bad there.

If you do get a car, like if your apartment comes with parking, let us know and we'll suggest some parking garages depending on where you're going. If you spend the afternoon at Union Square, picking the wrong garage can cost you an extra $10.

Actually, looking at rates, driving is probably cheaper but way more of a headache. It should come down to whether you have a reserved space at your apartment. If you don't, parking there is awful.

Comment

There's no reason to have a car. If you want to take a day trip, get the car for just that day, and use public transportation or taxis/Uber within the city. Parking is bad everywhere, though it is particularly bad there.

If you do get a car, like if your apartment comes with parking, let us know and we'll suggest some parking garages depending on where you're going. If you spend the afternoon at Union Square, picking the wrong garage can cost you an extra $10.

Actually, looking at rates, driving is probably cheaper but way more of a headache. It should come down to whether you have a reserved space at your apartment. If you don't, parking there is awful.
                      Exactly our thinking, we will only get a car for a day trip up into napa. Aside from that we are good with our feet and public transit / uber or taxis.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        I hope everything is okay.
                        Baby came tonight! She's about four weeks early so she'll be in the hospital a while, and mom will likely be in the rest of the week recovering from the C-section, but things are about as good as could be hoped. Baby had a couple IVs in her when I left but the doctors seemed positive about the whole thing.

If you want to hang out during the day on a weekday (i.e. when my older daughter is in preschool) I might be able to get away if my wife has recovered to the point where she can take care of herself.

Comment

Baby came tonight! She's about four weeks early so she'll be in the hospital a while, and mom will likely be in the rest of the week recovering from the C-section, but things are about as good as could be hoped. Baby had a couple IVs in her when I left but the doctors seemed positive about the whole thing.

If you want to hang out during the day on a weekday (i.e. when my older daughter is in preschool) I might be able to get away if my wife has recovered to the point where she can take care of herself.
                          Awesome! Congrats.

I'll connect with you guys next week ... I'm busy having coffee while staring at the crashing surf here in kauai for the next while ...

Comment

Very good stuff! What is the baby's name?
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

(sigh) Kalley. Meaningful to my wife, but when I walk around the ward and see Kyree and Berklee and Kinney, it makes me a little sad that my daughter's name looks like those also. I like either traditional or Latin/Greek; I voted for Artemis or Diana.

Comment

Working...
                              X