X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars ---> WARNING SPOILERS THREAD <---

*** SPOILER THREAD ***

So what did you think?

I managed to avoid all the spoilers, and only saw the initial 5 star reviews. I suppose I was expecting a little bit more. It was more like a 7.5-8/10 ... good, well worth the money, but not the all time classic some reviewers claimed.

What I wasn't expecting was a virtual remake of the original Star Wars trilogy, but that's basically what JJ Abrams delivered. Maybe this was needed after the mediocrity of the prequels? Like a re-balancing of the franchise? At times I felt it was a little too fanboyish though ... they even rehashed a lot of original gags.

The stars were definitely the new cast members, in fact I'd go as far as saying that Harrison and Carrie looked a bit out of their depth. When Harrison was on the bridge with Adam Driver, it was obvious someone was going to die ... I was kinda relieved it was Han Solo. But the new guys, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Adam Driver were all outstanding ... and Oscar Issac will prove his worth also ... I'm a big fan of Oscar Issac. The future looks to be in good hands.

Mark Hamill really looked the part in the final scene though ... and a fitting location given that it was supposed to be the original Jedi Temple ... the island of Skellig Michael was an ancient (6th century) hermitage off the south coast of Ireland. I've been wanting to go there for ages.

Terrific final shot ... imagine that final scene in the hands of George Lucas :shudders:

I suppose JJ Abrams's big test comes with the next movie though ... good start, I'm interested to see where he takes this.

*** SPOILER THREAD ***
    Last edited by johnnya24; 12-21-2015, 11:30 PM.

I just got back from seeing it. There were a few twist, but most of the major plot elements of 4-6 were there. The next movie should cut new ground.

How can you have a hero named Daisy?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I thought everything about it was great except for the rehashed plot. Sharp dialogue, fun action, interesting characters, nice visuals - gives me hope for the future of the franchise although they've gotta figure out a different way to end the movies besides blowing something up again. 8/10 for me.

Comment

i also would give it about an 8 out of 10. VERY predictable...couldnt help but warn my 7 year old what was about to happen to xxxxx (just in case people cant help but read this) - you could see that coming about an hour before it happened. Still it looked good, flowed well and I agree that Hamill looked just perfect!

You know who didnt look perfect? Carrie Fisher...holy shit man!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          i also would give it about an 8 out of 10. VERY predictable...couldnt help but warn my 7 year old what was about to happen to xxxxx (just in case people cant help but read this) - you could see that coming about an hour before it happened. Still it looked good, flowed well and I agree that Hamill looked just perfect!

You know who didnt look perfect? Carrie Fisher...holy shit man!
          There is already a Solo spoiler in the first post. I planned on seeing it eventually but bit the bullet and went tonight to curb my curiosity. I agree with rating it 8/10. I liked the elements of previous movies. I saw it in 3D which was pretty cool. Going with another friend Wed.
          Last edited by virgonomic; 12-22-2015, 02:47 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I'll quote Doug Benson: "FORCE AWAKENS brought back the element that's most important to me: likable characters that I wanna spend more time with. Bring on EP 8!"

9.9/10 for me - I can't believe they made another one like 4&5, it didn't feel possible after 6 and 1-3. Started off a little clunky, but the dogfight scenes were terrific, and she's my favorite good guy since Han Solo + Chewbacca appeared in 4. Helped that I saw it with my 11 year old son, it really hit me mid movie.

Previews were rough though - they showed the preview for the Will Smith NFL film, and opened with Mike Webster. That was like a punch to the face. I could feel the younger guys around me just didn't get it - even growing up a Bengals fan, Webster was iconic, and what happened to him was really the beginning of the end for me as a football fan.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

At least they were trying to rehash the plot. That way the breaks are sharper. Also, they ran through all three movies already. #8 needs to cut new ground.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

mind blown -- http://uproxx.com/movies/2015/12/sta...-ren-theory/2/

Comment

Agree with the others about it being a bit too predictable but still enjoyable. There are a lot of pieces evidence pointing to either Luke or Han as Rey's father. I'm not buying Obi-Wan as her dad...grandfather I can see.

Why did the Supreme ruler look so much like Voldemoort?

Anyone else have the passing thought that Luke was on Earth in the final scene? Btw, must be nice to get 2nd billing without a single line!
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Agree with the others about it being a bit too predictable but still enjoyable. There are a lot of pieces evidence pointing to either Luke or Han as Rey's father. I'm not buying Obi-Wan as her dad...grandfather I can see.

Why did the Supreme ruler look so much like Voldemoort?

Anyone else have the passing thought that Luke was on Earth in the final scene? Btw, must be nice to get 2nd billing without a single line!
                    I thought he looked like Max von Sydow.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Anyone else have the passing thought that Luke was on Earth in the final scene?
                      Scene was filmed in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Do you realize that by saying this you are implying that other scenes were not filmed on Earth?
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Do you realize that by saying this you are implying that other scenes were not filmed on Earth?
                          You mean Kobol I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Yea, I visited the Aran Islands in 1997.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yea, I visited the Aran Islands in 1997.
                              Speaking of the Aran Islands

Father Ted Lives on

Comment

Working...
                              X