Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Breakthrough Prizes ( aka Science Oscar's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Breakthrough Prizes ( aka Science Oscar's)

Need to do a little family bragging, congratulations to my nephew Ryan for winning the initial Junior Breakthrough prize, which gets him 250k, his physics teacher 50k, and the high school getting 100k in lab equipment. Watched the ceremony live on National Geographic, a surreal experience. My wife is pissed she didn't put makeup on before the filming, my daughters are in it too.

When high school student Ryan Chester heard that Silicon Valley’s prestigious Breakthrough Prize would include a new category for an outstanding science video, he decided to go big and tackle a question that baffles most adults: why do space travelers experience time more slowly than people on Planet Earth?

Absolutely amazing. Great looking kid, I know the whole family is so proud.

You'll have to keep us posted on his college plans.

Comment

Awesome. Congrats to Ryan.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
        Need to do a little family bragging, congratulations to my nephew Ryan for winning the initial Junior Breakthrough prize, which gets him 250k, his physics teacher 50k, and the high school getting 100k in lab equipment. Watched the ceremony live on National Geographic, a surreal experience. My wife is pissed she didn't put makeup on before the filming, my daughters are in it too.

http://www.popsci.com/first-ever-bre...-science-video
        So awesome! Video is really cool!!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

http://www.popsci.com/first-ever-bre...-science-video
          So awesome! Video is really cool!!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Great stuff!

Comment

that's tremendous. I was also fascinated by the same Einstein analysis at the same age but..... yeah, I just read about it and was intrigued and that's all I had, lol.

a separate sticky thread to celebrate family milestones and accomplishments might be nice. I love these notices
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 11-09-2015, 10:17 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Yeah, science!
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Damn dude. Life is easy right

Comment

Have not had a chance to speak with him yet, but my wife talked to him on the phone, the got back last night. He got to speak with Zuckerberg quite a bit, and the CEO of Google. He also got approached by Harvard and MIT at the after party. A general talked to him about West Point, not sure which one, but I know Patreus was there. His original plans were to go to Ohio U. Fox will rebroadcast a one hour version of the award ceremony on Nov. 29, at 7 p.m. Wait, what, Fox and science? Rupert was there too.

Comment

This is fantastic!

Congrats to your nephew and the whole family!

Comment

Have not had a chance to speak with him yet, but my wife talked to him on the phone, the got back last night. He got to speak with Zuckerberg quite a bit, and the CEO of Google. He also got approached by Harvard and MIT at the after party. A general talked to him about West Point, not sure which one, but I know Patreus was there. His original plans were to go to Ohio U. Fox will rebroadcast a one hour version of the award ceremony on Nov. 29, at 7 p.m. Wait, what, Fox and science? Rupert was there too.
                        Hey, that's where my daughters go!!!!

Let me know if he ends up there!

Comment

that's frakking awesome
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                          X