Canadian election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian election

I don't know if there's anything to be learned from this for those of you in the states, but thought I'd share our experience up here.

We just completed a federal election campaign with a big repudiation of the previous gov't. Stephen Harper & his conservative, security-focused, fear-based, insular party was turfed yesterday in an election that went to the Liberals. We will now have our second Prime Minister Trudeau - Justin, the son of Pierre Trudeau, a dominant political figure up here from the 70's & 80's.

Few if anyone saw a majority government coming. Up until a couple of weeks ago the polls were indicating a tight three way race between the major parties (Conservative, Liberals, and New Democratic Party). While the NDP predictably slipped in the late going - they are the most left of the parties - most pundits last night & this morning are very surprised at the one-sided-ness of the results.

Harper ran his usual negative campaign, whereas Trudeau stayed above the fray. He kept a positive message & in the debates didn't get sucked into the worst of the name-calling. This really seemed to resonate with the electorate - if there is one message being bandied about it's that few felt that Harper really represented Canadians, certainly not the best qualities of Canadians. He was rejected in favour of someone who could represent himself - and now the country - with more dignity & integrity.

It's an interesting twist. And I wonder if similar results might be in store for the US in 2016. We'll see. On the whole most everyone I've spoken with up here this morning are pretty optimistic about the next few years, at least politically. It's a nice change.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    And I wonder if similar results might be in store for the US in 2016.
    The thing about parliamentary forms of government is that when voters want to repudiate something, it's clear what to repudiate, because one party holds all the power.

Here in the States, liberals are dissatisfied with Congress and conservatives are dissatisfied with the president, and they are controlled by different parties. So it's much less predictable how voter dissatisfaction/anger will play out.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      We will now have our second Prime Minister Trudeau - Justin, the son of Pierre Trudeau, a dominant political figure up here from the 70's & 80's.
      Given the wide spread changes in personal grooming trends and standards, when should we expect to see the bare/neatly trimmed pubic area of Mr. Trudeau's wife?
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
        Given the wide spread changes in personal grooming trends and standards, when should we expect to see the bare/neatly trimmed pubic area of Mr. Trudeau's wife?
        I think you can expect to see this Trudeau run a much tighter ship on all fronts, political & personal. Then again, it's a pretty low bar that he has to meet (the late 70's/early 80's were a pretty strange time, weren't they!!!).
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I only know Canadian politics thru the story of mouseland. so for me the most important thing is whether they finally elected a mouse or they elected another cat. it sounds like they elected a mouse finally.

Comment

It's Mouseville and the elected Mr Jingles...............
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Not sure if you saw this from Sunday night or not...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Not sure if you saw this from Sunday night or not...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                X