you know you're old when you cite barry manilow in the liquor store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you know you're old when you cite barry manilow in the liquor store

they were playing the breakfast club song when I walked in. I immediately thought if I could only find a scene in that movie to put in my top ten movie scenes. I just haven't really ever watched that movie enough I guess.

so I get up to the clerk with my sixpack of Guinness, bud talls, and a $20 1.75l liter of brandy. shouldn't do that but it's a great price. seen the clerk before. she's old, grumpy. impossible to charm. not that you'd want to. I asked her if there were anymore 80 songs in music. then quoted what I think is the best quote from the movie. does barry manilow know you raid his wardrobe? and she says she met him in person. so im thinking she talked with barry manilow!? she starts fumbling with my credit card, and I ask, so how was he, expecting to get the equivalent he signed an autograph; but she was talking about going to one of his concerts. he had a white piano and the stage rotated and he opened Copacabana. and I agreed and said I saw yes with a rotating stage once. more importantly I was able to tell her what his best song is and why he is great. it's take a chance again, and that he's a great pronunciator.

of course im not really a barry manilow fan, so I couldn't recall the lyrics or melody of what I think is his best song on the spot, to make her remember. the music just sort of explodes at the end. and I said for barry, it's almost rock and roll. starts slow with the piano and then builds up. mostly I think of the beginning of the movie foul play. I think the song is misleading tho. it's not really about taking a chance again, but being grateful about the chance you took.

and as I went to my car I thought, I had just done the impossible. I got that grumpy old clerk thinking about that time she went to a barry manilow concert, with the rotating stage and white piano. and she had something pleasant to think about.

and I also think what I recently posted about the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis. about risk and being active. that would make it the parasite of love really. these tiny little single celled organisms that combined make us who we are.

but i'd really like to dispel Kurt Vonnegut and propose that these things make us who we are and not the other way around. it also correlates with physics and how inanimate matter builds up to more important and bigger matter.

nature has a great way of correlating with reality.

also, since cats are immune but are the primary carriers, their job is to spread it. .. and judging but the way infectious things are either slow to spread and less mortal vs fast and fatal, this parasite doesn't want to hurt us, it wants to survive on our ability to be active and take risks and spread love.

the world can be a very strange place sometimes.

Comment

an angel isn't satisfied with just helping ppl, you want to inspire them.

maybe that's what we are, bundles of energy meant to inspire.

it may seem random to you sometimes, things that you can't use, or don't make sense, you share it and throw it back out there and hope someone else can. and they usually do. the only ingredient I've ever found was faith. coincidence right? that's what science calls it. mathematicians perhaps. and I really think that's where it's at. knowing probability.

whatever, they are all called the same thing, just known by different names. whatever one you grew up with, as Jack London says, go with what you know.

Comment

You will never guess my favorite Barry Manilow song
        --------------------------------------
        You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

you will never guess the identity of the favorite singer of my college girlfriend (different, earlier one)

she constantly played Barry M on those 8-tracks in her dorm......
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
            there's olivia newton john xanadu Im alive. but there's other magic too

Comment

Copacabana?

Comment

Looks like you've made it.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Looks like you've made it.
                  Well, i've been alive forever...and I wrote the very first song

Comment

Music and passion were always in fashion..
                    Last edited by Hi.I'm.Mandy; 09-29-2015, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Well, i've been alive forever...and I wrote the very first song
                      Debuted in Wichita, Kansas. Manilow thought the song might come across cheeky, so he first tried it far from the city.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                      X