Capitalism at it's finest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capitalism at it's finest.

Some hedge fund guru just bought the rights to Daraprim, a key component in the drug cocktail which helps manages Aids as well as fight other parasitic diseases. He immediately raised the price from $13 to $750. BUT, he's not alone, another company raised the price of an anti tuberculosis drug from $500 for 30 pills to $10,800 for 30 pills.

It's a disturbing trend.

But hey at least someone's making a buck off of keeping yourself or family alive--
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

This shit is so infuriating. Complete scumbags are rewarded for pure evil.

Did you see what VW did? So sickening.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I like the free market, except when it comes to medical stuff. If the government was serious about the cost of medical care, they'd figure out how to reign in the costs for...well everything in the medical field. Tests, meds, etc. Is it so hard to just put a cap on shit?
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Hey, whatever the market of sick and dying people will bear, am I right free market idealists?
        Or, as AIDS advocates have fervently repeated - get the FDA standards to a reasonable level, so speed to market and cost to develop is lower.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          I like the free market, except when it comes to medical stuff. If the government was serious about the cost of medical care, they'd figure out how to reign in the costs for...well everything in the medical field. Tests, meds, etc. Is it so hard to just put a cap on shit?
          I question how much the medical field really resembles a free market. Not really sure the government is trying that hard to cap the cost of medical care, seems to me like is sort of designed specifically to maximize corporate profit.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            I question how much the medical field really resembles a free market. Not really sure the government is trying that hard to cap the cost of medical care, seems to me like is sort of designed specifically to maximize corporate profit.
            Well that falls under the "no shit" category.

The government does seem to be a party to the rising health care costs.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Or, as AIDS advocates have fervently repeated - get the FDA standards to a reasonable level, so speed to market and cost to develop is lower.
              Thing is, this guys did nothing to develop the drug. he just bought it at a discount and now plans to extort the sick to make a profit.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.

Here's my question, why isn't there a generic version of the drug? It's been around for 62 years, if I read one article right and I thought that after 50 years generic versions are then allowed to be made.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Let's see if he gets treated like that Minnesota dentist who killed a lion.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Let's see if he gets treated like that Minnesota dentist who killed a lion.
                    Check out this dude's twitter ... it's all a big joke to him. He doesn't give a shit what people think.

In answer to your question, Business Insider concluded their article yesterday with this:

"Thanks for the tweets, Shkreli. "

Comment

heh, he's now being investigated for insider trading...hope he get's the karma he deserves......

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Thing is, this guys did nothing to develop the drug. he just bought it at a discount and now plans to extort the sick to make a profit.
                        And as Bucky has noted, the reason it's so discounted is the patent is expired. He will be crushed by generics in no time.

This case doesn't even come close to addressing the main problem in drug manufacture today, though it's a popular straw man for the Sanders fans to beat their chests about. Ask an AIDS advocate. Or a pediatric cancer advocate. Or a person who contracts TB in Asia. Or people suffering from a host of past illnesses thought wiped out or pretty close but coming back due to the half wits who refuse to vaccinate.

But keep on keeping on. I'll bet you sound nice in the echo chamber.

Comment

And as Bucky has noted, the reason it's so discounted is the patent is expired. He will be crushed by generics in no time.

This case doesn't even come close to addressing the main problem in drug manufacture today, though it's a popular straw man for the Sanders fans to beat their chests about. Ask an AIDS advocate. Or a pediatric cancer advocate. Or a person who contracts TB in Asia. Or people suffering from a host of past illnesses thought wiped out or pretty close but coming back due to the half wits who refuse to vaccinate.

But keep on keeping on. I'll bet you sound nice in the echo chamber.
                          Is that what I said? I was wondering why there isn't a generic version of this pill.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            Is that what I said? I was wondering why there isn't a generic version of this pill.
                            You're certainly right about the patent being expired. My apologies if I put words in your mouth further than that, though.

Comment

You're certainly right about the patent being expired. My apologies if I put words in your mouth further than that, though.
                              No worries. I wasn't sure if I was even right that the patent has expired. So if I am right about that I wonder why a generic version isn't available. Maybe there is one available and people can just buy that one instead?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X