The Ultimate Rock n Roll Collection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Rock n Roll Collection.

OK so my daughters have expressed a big interest in learning about music from past generations. If you were to put together a 10-20 album collection that is the best of the best of music from the birth of Rock n roll to about 2000 what would your choices be?

Also in building this collection should I go with vinyl, or CDs or Digital? I am going to keep this in mind as I build a sound system for the new place.

Thanks!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

What age is the indoctrinee?

Vinyl is back in a big way. Go vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      What age is the indoctrinee?

Vinyl is back in a big way. Go vinyl.
      14 and almost 17
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Vinyl for sure.

Chuck Berry - Great Twenty-Eight
        Bob Dylan - Blond on Blonde
        Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
        Beatles - Abbey Road (or Revolver or Sgt Peppers)
        Led Zeppelin II
        David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (or Hunky Dory or Aladdin Sane)
        Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (or Tribute to Jack Johnson)
        Pink Floyd - DSOTM (or WYWH or Meddle or Animals)
        Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
        Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
        The Clash - London Calling
        Talking Heads - Remain In Light
        Iron Maiden - Powerslave
        Metallica - Master of Puppets
        Pixies - Doolittle
        Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
        Nirvana - Nevermind
        Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
        Radiohead - OK Computer
        Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Definitely go vinyl over CDs. I can understand the appeal to digital; it's cheaper and easier to get. New vinyl records give you the ability to download mp3s so the digital part isn't an issue. I am a collector so I enjoy the hunt for albums and I try to avoid getting the reissues when possible.

Though here a cartoon about vinyl collection that is very funny cause it's true. Personally, I still think it's worth it.
          CFZ1mn-VEAAIpza.jpg
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Vinyl for sure.

Chuck Berry - Great Twenty-Eight
            Bob Dylan - Blond on Blonde
            Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
            Beatles - Abbey Road (or Revolver or Sgt Peppers)
            Led Zeppelin II
            David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (or Hunky Dory or Aladdin Sane)
            Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (or Tribute to Jack Johnson)
            Pink Floyd - DSOTM (or WYWH or Meddle or Animals)
            Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
            Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
            The Clash - London Calling
            Talking Heads - Remain In Light
            Iron Maiden - Powerslave
            Metallica - Master of Puppets
            Pixies - Doolittle
            Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
            Nirvana - Nevermind
            Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
            Radiohead - OK Computer
            Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
            Solid list. For Mith: What no RUSH!?!?

Personally I'd add:

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
            The Who - Who's Next
            Cheap Trick - in Color

And take out Talking Heads, Guns N Roses and Smashing Pumpkins.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Alternates:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
              The Doors - Self-titled
              The Who - Tommy
              George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
              Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
              The Ramones - Self-titled
              U2 - War
              REM - Murmur (or Automatic for the People)
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

10-20 albums. 5.5 decades if we start with 1960. Roughly two albums per decade.

I'm reminded of a Mark Twain letter where he started "mom, I would have written a shorter letter but I didn't have the time".

Obviously to whittle a list down to that few, it's gonna be highly subjective. Here are a few ...

Beatles, Sergeant Pepper
                Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
                King Crimson, In the Court of the Crimson King
                AC/DC, Back in Black
                Queen, Night at the Opera
                Van Halen, Van Halen
                Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage
                Aerosmith, Toys in the Attic
                Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction
                Prince, Sign O the Times
                Pearl Jam, Ten
                Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
                U2 The Joshua Tree
                REM, Automatic for the People
                Radiohead, OK Computer
                Arcade Fire, Funeral
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Personally I'd focus on good representations of musical genres --- Kind of Blue for jazz and Born Under a Bad Sign for blues and Catch a Fire for reggae and so forth. That combined with the good selections representative of the times (Beatles and Zep and Public Enemy and The Clash and Springsteen, etc.) should give a pretty well-rounded introduction to music of the times. Don't forget some funk for the '70s! Maybe Mothership Connection or One Nation Under a Groove....
                  This is a good point and those albums are indispensable but he said RNR so I mostly stuck to that. 20 albums is already stretching it really thin.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Why vinyl? The shitty sound isn't more authentic, it's further from what the original sound actually was than digital reproduction..
                    I disagree but that's ok. I enjoy the sound of vinyl over the compressed digital mp3 sound. Plus you are forgetting about the expense and inconvenience.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Being as the target audience is female, I might try to include a few more female rock singers, such as Patti Smith, The Pretenders, Janis Joplin.
                      And I'd include a Kinks album.

For me, The Beach Boys become essential if you include the stories of the band itself (the Wilsons' dad, Brian Wilson's one-man competition with the Beatles, the Manson incident - okay maybe too dark for kids, Kokamo, etc). For me, without the backdrop, it's hard to suffer through much other than 'Wouldn't it be nice', 'God only knows' and 'Hang onto your ego'.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I was going to start with RnR and 20 albums, but if you'd like to suggest more genres and titles....--I can add as cost permits.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'd go digital. Vinyl is overrated, and an absolute pain in the butt to move.

Foundational 12:

Beatles: White Album
                          Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street
                          Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
                          Michael Jackson: Thriller
                          Nirvana: Nevermind
                          Led Zeppelin: IV
                          Pink Floyd: DSOTM
                          The Clash: London Calling
                          Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland
                          Bob Marley: Catch a Fire
                          Metallica: Master of Puppets
                          Funkadelic: One Nation Under a Groove

Other Greats they might connect to:

NWA: Straight Outta Compton
                          Dr. Dre: The Chronic
                          Paranoid: Black Sabbath
                          Pearl Jam: Ten
                          R.E.M.: Murmur
                          The Smiths: The Queen is Dead
                          Radiohead: OK Computer

If you think they'll like a mellower sound, feel free to substitute:

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
                          Steely Dan: Aja
                          Van Morrison: Moondance
                          Eagles: Hotel California
                          Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
                          Paul Simon: Graceland
                          Patti Smith: Horses
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Wow, not sure how I left off Exile and Moondance. Graceland used to be on that list too but Paul Simon is such a dick that it's been tainted for me.

And I didn't realize you were a hip-hop fan Chance but Straight Outta Compton and The Chronic are both indispensable as well.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Wow, not sure how I left off Exile and Moondance. Graceland used to be on that list too but Paul Simon is such a dick that it's been tainted for me.

And I didn't realize you were a hip-hop fan Chance but Straight Outta Compton and The Chronic are both indispensable as well.
                              I hear you on Paul Simon; The Smiths are the same for me, but those are "give the devil his due" LPs for me. I'm not a huge hip hop fan; don't have a lot in my collection. But The Chronic is pretty amazing, and I love the funk influence on it. Plus, he's been incredibly influential in the genre and who doesn't know his headphones?
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X