Put Me Out to Pasture...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put Me Out to Pasture...

I have told my kids when there are things that I do in old age that would be antithetical to who I am today they are to tell me, "Dad, time to go for a ride out to the country." like you do with an old dog. Last night, I think what happened is the exact moment I would want them to put me in the car.

I was at the local race track for an evening of fun with my Rotary group. As I was leaving, I decided to use the rest room. I stepped up to the urinal and took care of my business. An older gentlemen (late 70's, early '80's) stepped up to the next urinal. Within seconds my legs was wet...I looked over and the gentleman was urinating straight onto the floor and splashing everywhere. He had no idea.

Shoot me when I get to that place.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

He was at the races. He was walking. He was going to the bathroom by himself. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

As for the peeing. He is telling his buddies about this and they are rolling on the floor laughing at 80's humor.

Comment

I was just having a conversation similar to this at work. I mentioned that my joints were aching today - due to the weather change - and a colleague told me Im not old and to go work in a nursing home. I explained that in my youth I had done a number of the "sing at the nursing home" things with the youth choir. I was reminded how a few of the kids would talk to the old folk there and how I typically hung back waiting to get the hell out of there cuz I thought many of these people have no idea what is going on in that moment.

While I appreciate that medicine can often extend our lives, I admittedly struggle with is long life worthwhile if the quality of the last years is no good. Ive told my wife, if Im ever at the point where I cant understand what is going on, or dont know who people are - well take me out back and put a bullet between my eyes or put me in the running car in the garage and leave me there....

Yeah its morbid, but if there isnt a certain quality of life, then is it worth living????

Just one of the philosophical questions I struggle with - along with many others.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        I was just having a conversation similar to this at work. I mentioned that my joints were aching today - due to the weather change - and a colleague told me Im not old and to go work in a nursing home. I explained that in my youth I had done a number of the "sing at the nursing home" things with the youth choir. I was reminded how a few of the kids would talk to the old folk there and how I typically hung back waiting to get the hell out of there cuz I thought many of these people have no idea what is going on in that moment.

While I appreciate that medicine can often extend our lives, I admittedly struggle with is long life worthwhile if the quality of the last years is no good. Ive told my wife, if Im ever at the point where I cant understand what is going on, or dont know who people are - well take me out back and put a bullet between my eyes or put me in the running car in the garage and leave me there....

Yeah its morbid, but if there isnt a certain quality of life, then is it worth living????

Just one of the philosophical questions I struggle with - along with many others.
        My Mother was in a nursing home for 7 years. She stated often that she was glad to be alive. Most of my family thought she lived 7 years too long. I do not think they were right. She got to be part of our lives longer than thought. While the last few months were hard, I believe she would say it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
          An older gentlemen (late 70's, early '80's) stepped up to the next urinal. Within seconds my legs was wet...I looked over and the gentleman was urinating straight onto the floor and splashing everywhere. He had no idea.
          Alcohol is a helluva drug.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            As for the peeing. He is telling his buddies about this and they are rolling on the floor laughing at 80's humor.
            Can you believe it? Yesterday I was at the races and I had to take a piss. I went in the bathroom and I looked over at the guy next to me and had this funny thought...what if just started peeing on the floor and all over his leg? I bet he doesn't say a damn thing about it. Hah! And you know what? I was right. Most fun I've had in at least three months, I tell ya. Back when I was 40 years old and had a family, no way I would have gotten away with that. No way. Life is great, man...
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              Can you believe it? Yesterday I was at the races and I had to take a piss. I went in the bathroom and I looked over at the guy next to me and had this funny thought...what if just started peeing on the floor and all over his leg? I bet he doesn't say a damn thing about it. Hah! And you know what? I was right. Most fun I've had in at least three months, I tell ya. Back when I was 40 years old and had a family, no way I would have gotten away with that. No way. Life is great, man...
              Bwa ha ha, you pulled the Old #82

Comment

Posts like this show why we need a "like" button on this forum!
                “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I remember when I went to a wedding with a friend (didn't know the 2 families) there was an old guy in his 80's walking around the Hall grabbing women Ass's and Mauling them. I watch it - finally pointed it out to my friend. She said that is OLD PETE he is harmless???? As I rapidly approach old age - I think I am going to turn into OLD PETE. He look like he knew who to MAUL to me.

Comment

Brilliant, just brilliant.

On a more somber note, I know that it's all just hyperbole, but I would hope that nobody would ever involve their family members to participate in any such plan. That's just beyond cruel to have someone walking around with that on their conscience...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I might be heading to pasture soon at this rate.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        pissing on people's feet or grabbing young girl's asses?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Brilliant, just brilliant.

On a more somber note, I know that it's all just hyperbole, but I would hope that nobody would ever involve their family members to participate in any such plan. That's just beyond cruel to have someone walking around with that on their conscience...
                          My mom has tried to rope me into it. She's quick to tell anyone she has the drugs set aside to end it all (I doubt she does) when the time comes. She has Alzheimers in the family and is not looking forward to that life. I've told her I can't do that and she always looks at me as if I'm betraying her when I do.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            It takes all week to get to Friday.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              My mom has tried to rope me into it. She's quick to tell anyone she has the drugs set aside to end it all (I doubt she does) when the time comes. She has Alzheimers in the family and is not looking forward to that life. I've told her I can't do that and she always looks at me as if I'm betraying her when I do.

I'm sorry to hear that Wayne...I'm certainly not qualified to give much advise, but all I can say is to stay strong in your beliefs. No matter the outcome, you'll be better for it.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X