Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your opinion: why do squirrels, chipmunks and birds warn each other about predators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your opinion: why do squirrels, chipmunks and birds warn each other about predators?

i disagree with the evolutionary theory's reason.

but i want to hear your opinions. ..you guys have heard animals warn each other about predators nearby. why would a squirrel put himself at risk by warning another squirrel that a cat is close?

Because predators are dicks
    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
      Because predators are dicks
      Says the man who wants to kill me.

Comment

Squirrel Anthropology not being my long suit, I'm guessing the evolutionary theory is that survival of the squirrel species causes them to warn each other. Yes?

I agree with you in disagreeing with it/them. I believe the squirrels have a social contract...the needs of many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.

I'm not sure about birds. Their brains are so small.

I do not believe in chipmunks.

Comment

Sadly, two days ago no squirrel warned the other about my rental car as a predator.

Left or right would have been a better choice than straight.

Yuck

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
            I consider it controlling the population
            I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
              Consider this thread your warning from nullie...
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
                I consider it controlling the population
                I say it makes you a predator, ergo......

Comment

there's an argument among scientist over why animals warn each other. on one side you have ppl that say it's because of genetics, and the other side say it's because of group selection. i believe the argument potentially changes the modern theory of evolution, it threatens science. i believe the answer is why you see two ducks on the road feeding with little ducklings instead of just one lonely male or female. i believe it's the reason why the nature of the universe favors intelligence and grouping over brute strength. animals that warn each other of danger are performing within a culture or society, not genetically. the universe favors culture and societies over genetics.

Comment

I bet that if the population of any of the prey species gets too large, they stop warning others....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                    X