'16 GOP Nomination thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '16 GOP Nomination thread

The first debate is less than a week away. Who will be watching? What outcome do you expect? Is there an outcome you hope for or fear?

Historically, these have been much more important to trailing candidates, but it was also a place trailers died.

From a recent article, I note this, for what it may be worth:
    6. The eventual winner participates in debates

Since 1972, every non-incumbent major party presidential nominee has appeared in a primary debate, and many of these nominees participated in all or nearly all of the contests included on our list. However, frontrunners do occasionally skip early debates. Reagan passed on an Iowa debate in 1980 only to see George H.W. Bush beat him in the caucuses there, setting up the microphone moment in New Hampshire. George W. Bush passed on the first few debates in the 2000 cycle but ended up steamrolling to the nomination, despite his landslide loss to Sen. John McCain (AZ) in New Hampshire.
    Next week begins what has become a regular presidential primary tradition: the debates. As a way of previewing them, we decided to look back at the history of primary debates. Readers may be surprised to learn that primary debates existed before the advent of televised general election debates in 1960. Less surprising is that the […]

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I'd like to see a question fielded from a gay soldier to see the losers in the audience boo and the cowards on stage stay silent.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This is an unusual debate because we already know what everyone will talk about afterward: What nutty things did Trump say, and what did the others say when he said them?
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I saw a thing where you get a 30 second rebuttal if someone calls you out by name....should make for some interesting provoking
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

In a large field, is it possible that the optimal strategy for any of the lesser candidates to be to attempt to be the most extreme?

Comment

I think they think it's become more important to be perceived to be an entertainer than a leader. they said as much last time about Obama but they didn't say it in spite they meant it in envy. they think that's what it takes to be elected. I don't know what it means, but that's what they think. maybe they are right.

Comment

I saw this before....It's the part of the circus when the real tiny car drives in and all the clowns get out.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                This is an unusual debate because we already know what everyone will talk about afterward: What nutty things did Trump say, and what did the others say when he said them?
                My progressive family is having a debate party just for this reason. The whole thing makes me too sad to even watch it from a schadenfreude angle. I also don't want to vote up the circus with my viewership.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Fox has a secret feature they are not telling anyone about. Anytime a candidate says something really stupid, Ronda Rousey runs out and punches them in the nuts.

Comment

Is Kasich in or out? Boy do the reps need a middle-leaning guy like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      Fox has a secret feature they are not telling anyone about. Anytime a candidate says something really stupid, Ronda Rousey runs out and punches them in the nuts.
                      so who do they have in relief ? I dont think she will make it the distance
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        She'll throw more punches than in her last four fights combined. Hell, just Trump alone will account for that.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...a33_story.html

Chris Wallace tapped the black three-ring binder resting on the corner of his desk. “I’ve got some doozies in there,” he said, eyebrow raised provocatively.

The unlabeled binder holds the veteran Fox News anchor’s questions for Thursday’s Republican primary debate, for which he will serve as a moderator. Clamped inside it are newspaper clippings, memos to his researcher and outlines of what the hodgepodge of presidential candidates vying to top the GOP field have been saying about the issues and about each other.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Have they not yet declared which 10 made the cut?
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

officially today
                              but Perry and Jindal and Graham will miss the cut
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X