Pan-Am games, Kanye West, and Alfredo Despaigne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pan-Am games, Kanye West, and Alfredo Despaigne

In case you weren't aware (it's not getting much press outside of Canada), the Pan-Am games are going on in & around Toronto right now. It's a pretty big deal up here. Such a big deal that they just announced Kanye will be performing during the closing ceremonies. More on that in a minute.

Alfredo Despaigne is up here playing for Cuba. I would love to get to a game to watch him but haven't been able to get the time. Canada beat Cuba 3-1 in the opener this week & there was an interesting quote from Canadian pitcher-former-MLB-journeyman Shawn Hill ...

He led off the seventh inning with a home run to the opposite field off Andrew Albers. “You just can’t make a mistake against him,” Canada manager Ernie Whitt said. “If you make a mistake he’s going to make you pay for it. He’s got power to all fields.”

But while his talent is undeniable, his window to become a major-league star is closing ever so slightly. He’s 29 years old already, a veteran of 12 professional seasons in Cuba, Mexico, and Japan. Most Cuban players make the move to the United States in their early 20’s. Plus, Despagine has never shown much of a desire to play in the U.S.

On top of all that, Hill isn’t convinced Despaigne is ready to step into a big-league lineup and star.

“Potentially, yes. Currently, no,” Hill said after retiring Despaigne three times on Tuesday. “I saw him and instantly exposed a hole. I think he could make that adjustment, he’s a good enough hitter. But as of today I’d say he’s not ready.”
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...185806740.html

If Shawn Hill is getting him out consistently, well ... let's just say I'd recommend dropping him a few pegs on that prospect list.

Anyway, with Kanye announced to close the ceremonies, a kerfuffle has erupted over whether we should have a more Canadian presence. Obviously Kanye is a polarizing individual, which has led to a petition suddenly going around this week to replace him. Which led to a great article this morning that kinda captures the essence of being Canadian ... some of these references may be lost on y'all, but this had me in stitches ... I had to share it.

Lard tunderin’ Yeezus, people. Just how provincial do some of us need to prove we can be?
    The Pan Am Games organizers announce they’ve booked the biggest music star in the world to headline the closing ceremonies, and you whine about it? You start a petition, and gather more than 25,000 signatures, demanding he be replaced by someone local?

I know some people would be happier if the Canadian Brass just did an extended cover of “Four Strong Winds” while Stuart McLean regaled us with tales of Dave and Morley’s Pan-Am-inspired sports injuries, perhaps between sing-along choruses of “Barrett’s Privateers” led by Anne Murray, who’d be sitting atop a moose in a Mountie Stetson while a Canadarm poured maple syrup onto the crowd.
    Imma let you finish, but Kanye's the best choice to headline Pan Am closer

Anyway, that's what's going on up here this week.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

A Stetson moose is gonna mountie Anne Murray? Man, the stuff you Canadians watch!
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Is Yukon Cornelius available?

Comment

going to the volleyball semifinals tonite. Canada vs Argentina. should be fun.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Oh! Oh! I know "Four Strong Winds"!

Because Neil Young covered it.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
          X