Ban on Same-Sex Marriage overturned by Supreme Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban on Same-Sex Marriage overturned by Supreme Court

Being reported right now. By a 5-4 decision all states must now allow same sex marriages. So those 13 holdouts can go screw themselves!
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Thank god for the 5 reasonable people on the Supreme Court who are saving us from ourselves.

Comment

It's about time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        can go screw themselves
        Are you sure that doesn't violate any laws?
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Whoa, Scalia's dissent is perhaps the most psychotic, unhinged opinion I've ever read in a Supreme Court case. He normally comes across as a dick, but an intelligent dick. This is just....wow, it's hard for me to even describe it. He sounds like a crazy person.
          that's what I said, from the position that the states said they were defending the right to support absent fathers. what did Scalia say?

Comment

A lot of screwy stuff, including how the court is unrepresentative because it has no one from the west, "and California doesn't count."
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Scalia and Chenney are the two most evil americans of the last 50 years
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Whoa, Scalia's dissent is perhaps the most psychotic, unhinged opinion I've ever read in a Supreme Court case. He normally comes across as a dick, but an intelligent dick. This is just....wow, it's hard for me to even describe it. He sounds like a crazy person.
                It certainly reads like him throwing a fit that he lost.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

even the smartest ppl in the world expose their total ignorance and nature when it comes to the subject of sex. it's the best lie detector or character assessment out there.

I suppose that could mean a lot of things, but even when you look at the greatest minds out there, obviously I don't mean scalia, they never could keep it in their pants. and to me that diminishes their accomplishments. and I don't mean gay ppl like turing. I mean the heterosexuals.

you're not a good scientist when your fucking the nurse, while your wife is dying of cancer. which is what I bet the majority of them are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    A lot of screwy stuff, including how the court is unrepresentative because it has no one from the west, "and California doesn't count."
                    as someone at work commented:

"Marriage equality? We can't decide that without a southwesterner on the court, we need to represent the whole country!"
                    "There aren't any gay people on the court."
                    "What business is it of theirs?"
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

and I sound like some future morality cop. but seriously there's book smarts and then there's sex smarts. we build these book smart ppl up so much, only to find they have major flaws when it comes to sex. then you wonder about their logic. im just sayin... maybe they aren't so smart after all.

Comment

I do wonder if this is how it felt when Brown v. Board of Education was decided.

Where is Ike when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          I do wonder if this is how it felt when Brown v. Board of Education was decided.
                          Good grief. I hope not. Perspective on aisle 9 please.

I am interested to see how all the language about religion. If I understand correctly, the Court was unanimous that religious freedoms must be protected. What each Justice means by that is a question for another day.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            Yeah, that's a good point. There's also nobody from my family on the court...so any decision I don't like I'll just rant and rave my family is not represented on the court.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

More on point is Loving v. Virginia, where the Court ruled that states could not ban interracial marriage.
                              I understand that Loving v. Virginia is more directly analogous in terms of subject matter. But I don't get the sense that it was received by the American public at large as a ground-breaking, societal-shifting, change-the-whole-fabric-of-what-our-freedoms-mean decision. It seems to me that Brown v. the Board of Education was the last time that happened. Roe v. Wade has taken on some aspects of that over time, but I don't think it was received as such at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X