Life in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in the UK

Whenever I'm surfing the internet and run across the Q&A thing from Parliament, I absolutely have to watch. It is wickedly funny and often very educational. As I watch the Head Knocker (PM?) taking zingers from all around, and then shooting them back twice as fast and twice as funny, I ask myself how many of our recent presidents (or candidates) would have stood a chance under that kind of pressure. Not many, I'll warrant.

I also saw a thing where the Queen makes a speech at the opening of Parliament. Some of the online commenters were bitching because she said Britain lives within its means, while she was up there with a gold chair and a hat made out of diamonds. I figure, though, that the chair and the diamond hat have been paid off for 500-600 years, so the only real out-of-pocket expense would be a little polish, and maybe a rider on the homeowner's policy. So, I think they should get off the lady's back.

Anyway, it is generally depressing to see British politics (and journalism) at work, and then have to go back to listening to our domestic pols, who by comparison are dumb as bags of hair.

Question Time rules....Clinton would have been great at it, Bush II, not so much....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Things are getting as bad over here as in the USA, especially with the media and its relation to politics. Journalistic standard have plummeted over the last 15 years.

PMs Question Time isn't actually as spontaneous as it seems. All questions have to be submitted a while in advance, and the only real opportunity for spontaneity is in follow up questions.

Margaret Thatcher was often physically sick before QT. She hated it, even though she was regarded as very proficient at the podium.

Clinton and Obama would have owned it.

Comment

Maybe, but your asst PM gets to do stuff like this...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
        X