WTF Moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Moment

So I cycle into the city centre today. Park my bike up on a busy street ... lots of foot traffic etc. I come back approx 3 hours later and find my bike has been unlocked, with the lock hanging by itself, and the bike has been turned around.

Errrr?

Now it's a relatively expensive bike, so it has a heavy duty lock, and I'm really anal about making sure the bike is locked properly when I leave it, especially if it's alongside another bike (as it was).

I was standing there dumbfounded like an idiot.

1. Simple - I didn't lock the bike, and someone had to pick it up when it fell over or something, hence the fact it got turned around. But I'm so sure I did ... precisely because it was next to another bike and always make sure they aren't tangled up.

2. The dude with the bike parked on the same rack had the exact same lock (somehow), and his key fitted my lock (somehow), and I had accidentally tethered my bike to his (somehow), and he unlocked my bike and left the locking hanging ... oh and something about alternate universes.

3. A new brand of troll petty criminal ... their goal is to confuse their victims rather than steal from them ... they hide in the shadows, in fits of giggles as the hapless dumbfounded victim (me) questions reality.

-----

Reminds me of an ex flatmate of mine. He worked up at Barclays in London and commuted in on the train every day. He had more money than he knew how to spend, and worked so many hours, he didn't have time to spend it. He'd buy stupid things all the time: £300 ties, expensive braces which he never wore, every useless gadget going etc. So on a whim he decides to buy a bike and cycle from Liverpool Street Station in London, to Barclays HQ. He was not a cyclist, but he decides to buy the most expensive bike in the shop, a £5000 professional road bike. The very first day he use it, he parks it in the underground car park at Barclays, and comes back to find the bike gone, and his lock dangling on a nearby railing ... not happy just stealing his brand new £5K bike, they had to troll him as well.

In the 10 years I knew him, I never seen him on another bike. 1 bike, 1 day, £5K. So baller.

Back in college my roommate had a bunch of errands to do so he hoped in his car to take care of them. I had nothing to do and had a set of his car keys so I followed him and as he parked I would move his car from one spot to another spot a few spots down and then go back to my car and wait and watch him as he came back. At first he didn't seem to notice so I had I to move the car farther and farther away each time. I did this about four or five times and each time he was more and more confused. It was a wasted day but fun as hell.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Back in college my roommate had a bunch of errands to do so he hoped in his car to take care of them. I had nothing to do and had a set of his car keys so I followed him and as he parked I would move his car from one spot to another spot a few spots down and then go back to my car and wait and watch him as he came back. At first he didn't seem to notice so I had I to move the car farther and farther away each time. I did this about four or five times and each time he was more and more confused. It was a wasted day but fun as hell.
      That sounds hilarious.

I had an OCD flatmate back in my uni days ... he could be really unpleasant sometimes. Anyway, he used to very carefully organize his food cabinet so all the cans and food stuff were "in their rightful place". We never quite figured out what the structure was, but he had some reasoning. AS revenge for not wanting to muck in with the housework, we kept moving his things around ... just a little bit ... increasing the gap between the rows, taking out 3 or 4 slices of bread so the loaf was smaller, turning the second row cans upside down etc. It used to really bug him, because he knew we were fucking with him, but I think he didn't want to seem pedantic and complain "Did someone move my soup cans 1 inch to left?!?!?!?". There would be a pause as he would open the cabinet ... like trepidation ... "Please be the same, please be the same, please be the same ...". I dunno, maybe he thought it was fairies

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        That sounds hilarious.

I had an OCD flatmate back in my uni days ... he could be really unpleasant sometimes. Anyway, he used to very carefully organize his food cabinet so all the cans and food stuff were "in their rightful place". We never quite figured out what the structure was, but he had some reasoning. AS revenge for not wanting to muck in with the housework, we kept moving his things around ... just a little bit ... increasing the gap between the rows, taking out 3 or 4 slices of bread so the loaf was smaller, turning the second row cans upside down etc. It used to really bug him, because he knew we were fucking with him, but I think he didn't want to seem pedantic and complain "Did someone move my soup cans 1 inch to left?!?!?!?". There would be a pause as he would open the cabinet ... like trepidation ... "Please be the same, please be the same, please be the same ...". I dunno, maybe he thought it was fairies
        Nice, that's great.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

"AS revenge for not wanting to muck in with the housework, we kept moving his things around"

Assuming that was a typo and not re Asperger's, the same point stands as well about OCD.

you might as well kick out a crutch from a lame leg, and hide the crutch. or imitate the lisp of a gay dorm mate, good times. and transgender? woo hoo, bonus pts!

granted you had no idea at the time, but at least in retrospect it wouldn't kill you to learn and have at least a little regret.

even assuming the OCD person was inconsiderate, what you're talking about is not a proportionate response. I hope my AS nephew doesn't wind up living with people who want to exploit his difficulties for cheap laughs.
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 05-07-2015, 07:59 AM.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Does your nephew chose to live with people bit not do his share of the housework?
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I'm totally doing option #3 as often as I can now. I need to learn to pick locks.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

this is how ppl end up believing in aliens... for example you find a 1000 year old Peruvian mummy with signs of European tuberculosis. but then Columbus didn't get here until 500 years ago (which calls into doubt the whole New World discovery thing). then they sequence the TB DNA and find it's 9000 years old. which introduces aliens into the picture because while they were flying around teaching ppl how to build pyramids they were infecting them with bacteria.

but in reality it happened when our species started learning to farm. one day a shepherd with TB infected his flock. then the sheep went down to the beach to eat some of that delicious seaweed and started frolicking with some seals. the infected seals got eaten by some kill whales who then infected a big whale. the whale swam over to Peru and the Inca got in their little rowboats and went out and speared the whale and infected themselves. hence why the bacterial strain had 9000 year old genes because it's common ancestor was around when humans, sheep, seals, orcas, whales were together.

in johnny's bike case i'd say the guy that stole his rich roommates expensive bike went riding by and thought about stealing his bike. he undid the lock and tried it but like the £5K one better. so really he can thank his roommate for getting his bike stolen. and I suppose it probably saved the alternate version of you in an alternate universe from getting his bike stolen too.

when all possible explanations have been exhausted the only thing left is the impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  that's like the best prank ever. with my luck, if I tried that, i'd end up totaling it while moving it.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Does your nephew chose to live with people bit not do his share of the housework?
                    he does not live away from home yet, but he quite possibly would not grasp the need to do such sharing unless someone explained it to him (in spite of technically being a genius). OCD is pretty different from AS, but in each case treating them like props is not cool.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                    X