Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if i tore up a picasso and gave eveyone a piece..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if i tore up a picasso and gave eveyone a piece..

why would that be wrong since everyone owned a piece. instead of having it owned by no-one, instead everyone could enjoy owning a part of it?

You don't need to own art to enjoy it. By destroying it you are preventing future generations from enjoying and experiencing the piece as the artist rendered it.

Comment

On a similar note, i have always thought that it was a disgusting idea to cut up the baseball bats and jerseys of HOF baseball players to produce 500 or 1000 relic baseball cards. I know it is more profitable for the baseball card companies to sell pieces of memorabilia inserted between two pieces of cardboard. But, there should be a law to protect such historic artifacts from being destroyed for profit like this. To quote Indiana Jones: "That belongs in a museum." Even if it is just the personal museum (mancave) of a private collector.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        On a similar note, i have always thought that it was a disgusting idea to cut up the baseball bats and jerseys of HOF baseball players to produce 500 or 1000 relic baseball cards. I know it is more profitable for the baseball card companies to sell pieces of memorabilia inserted between two pieces of cardboard. But, there should be a law to protect such historic artifacts from being destroyed for profit like this. To quote Indiana Jones: "That belongs in a museum." Even if it is just the personal museum (mancave) of a private collector.
        Without knowing exact details of the process and numbers involved, I completely disagree. These guys play in so many uniforms that taking a few of them to disseminate to a greater number of people is perfectly acceptable IMO.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Is this supposed to be a divide the baby question.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Without knowing exact details of the process and numbers involved, I completely disagree. These guys play in so many uniforms that taking a few of them to disseminate to a greater number of people is perfectly acceptable IMO.
            What if someone cut up one of only three Babe Ruth jerseys known to exist? This actually happened in 2003 (link below).

http://www.pittnews.com/news/article...7a19fb963.html
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

What if someone cut up one of only three Babe Ruth jerseys known to exist? This actually happened in 2003 (link below).

That is horrible.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

#1 of 3 is up for sale on ebay right now. For a mere 4999.99 you can own a part of history? The 2003 Leaf version #1 of 3 is Buy it now for $597.60.

I think I sold my Babe Ruth autograph (check) for about 2800.00 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  #1 of 3 is up for sale on ebay right now. For a mere 4999.99 you can own a part of history? The 2003 Leaf version #1 of 3 is Buy it now for $597.60.

I think I sold my Babe Ruth autograph (check) for about 2800.00 10 years ago.
                  really - or is that sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    really - or is that sarcasm?
                    They really are up on ebay. The mere 4999.99 comment was sarcasm. And I really did sell my Babe Ruth check.It was a special one as he made it out to Mrs. Babe Ruth (so that was the same as his signature) then of course he signed it. And then Mrs Babe Ruth signed it to cash it. I was sad to see it go, but had pressing needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      That argument makes sense for players of more recent history, but what about pre-war players where they are more treasured items? I'm bothered when, say Ty Cobb's jersey is chopped up.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        That argument makes sense for players of more recent history, but what about pre-war players where they are more treasured items? I'm bothered when, say Ty Cobb's jersey is chopped up.
                        Eventually we're all going to get burned alive when the sun explodes anyway. In the really, really, really long run, what difference does it make either way? (Kind of like most (if not all) of my posts.)

Comment

“How can a three-pound mass of jelly that you can hold in your palm imagine angels, contemplate the meaning of infinity, and even question its own place in the cosmos? Especially awe inspiring is the fact that any single brain, including yours, is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless, far-flung stars billions of years ago. These particles drifted for eons and light-years until gravity and change brought them together here, now. These atoms now form a conglomerate- your brain- that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans, it has been said, the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all.”
                          —Vilayanur Subramanian Ramachandran, neuroscientist

Comment

Working...
                          X