Tom Watson is age 65 - and shot a 71 at The Masters today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Watson is age 65 - and shot a 71 at The Masters today

not many golf fans here, but that is insane.

he is tied for 18th place at 1-under par after one round with co-tournament favorites Rory McIlroy and Bubba Watson (the leader, Justin Spieth, is age 21).

Watson beat Tiger Woods by 2 shots. sweet.

he'll fade, obviously. but did I mention he's 65?
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Back when I was in college, there was a standing joke. Kansas City had three professional sports--The Royals, The Chiefs and Tom Watson. A few years later, the basketball team moved to Sacramento. Don't blame me. I never went to the games.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I hope he makes a good run - actually, his problem is primarily with the yips putting. If he can keep that stable, he can at least make the cut.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I hope he makes a good run - actually, his problem is primarily with the yips putting. If he can keep that stable, he can at least make the cut.
        I hope he does. This is fantastic.

I just read an article. He says he just doesn't have the distance anymore. Said he has lost a lot even since last year.

I really hope he makes a run.

Comment

if his 2nd shot on 18 on Sunday had landed about five feet closer to the hole, he's still on the green and he two-putts to win THE BRITISH OPEN at age 59 (oldest golfer to win a major is Nicklaus at age 46 in 1986 at The Masters). but bogey, and crushed in the playoff.

making the cut tomorrow would be right up there. it's top 50, and anyone within 10 shots of the lead. Spieth is at -8 and is a beast, so he likely makes it just top 50. 50th right now is +1, so Watson only has about a 2-shot cushion tomorrow.

that's rough. depends on conditions, but he may need 72 or 73. that is hard to imagine him doing....

more

"Watson takes the record from Sam Snead, who shot 1-under 71 in the first round of the 1975 Masters at age 62. Snead also shot consecutive weekend 71s in the 1974 Masters to finish tied for 20th place at 62.

Gene Sarazen is the oldest player to shoot even par or better in a Masters, carding a 72 at the age of 67 in the second round of the 1969 Masters.

Watson's round is even more remarkable compared to Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. When Nicklaus played in his final Masters in 2005 at the age of 65, he shot 77-76 to miss the cut. Palmer, who turned 65 in 1994, shot 78-77 that year.

If Watson can back up his Thursday 71 on Friday, he'll become the oldest player to make a 36-hole Masters cut. Tommy Aaron, the 1973 Masters champion, holds that distinction now. He shot 72-74 to make the cut at age 63 in the 2000 Masters en route to a tie for 57th place."
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Watson has been a favorite of mine since the early 80s. That run he made at the British a few years back had me jumping around in front of the TV like a loon. Another great round by an all-time great.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Unfortunately, Tom is not playing well today. He is +5 thru 7 holes. I hope he can make a run and make the cut, projected at +2 right now.

Spieth on the other hand is -4 thru 11. He is turning in a great performance. He looks so effortless when he swings.

Comment

Jordan Spieth Killing it ... record breaking 14 under after 32. He was the USA's best player at the last Ryder Cup.

Comment

btw, Watson on Thursday matched or beat the Ryder Cup US team that threw him under the bus after that event.

CBS today had some great Ben Crenshaw - 2 time Masters champ - memories on his last march ever today (he's 2 yrs younger than Watson and lost to Tom by 20 strokes yesterday).

but they blew their chance. Ben debuted there in 1972, and hooked up with his first local caddie there in 1976. they walked off the 18th green today with a bear hug. the caddie was awarded a key to the city (Augusta, Ga.) on Monday.

if CBS was a news channel, it could have noted that Crenshaw debuted at a tournament that had never admitted a black player, joined up with his current African-American caddie a year after Lee Elder broke the color barrier, and they have been together at this tournament ever since. the caddie is now elderly, and needed his brother to walk the final 36 holes until the last green of Crenshaw's Masters career.

Crenshaw was born in Texas in 1952. not MS or AL, but not Paradise as far as these matters.

CBS loves talking Masters history, except about the most important parts....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I have concluded that Jordan Speith is not human, but part of the Borg collective.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

weather conditions changing tomorrow

I have Spieth in my pool, but not counting any coins yet. a lot of top players crushed the back 9 today....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Could be a pretty sick final day. Tiger and Rory paired in the 3rd last group, though neither has a chance of winning unless Spieth blows up.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          I'm going golfing tomorrow. I'll be stoked if I shoot a 71 (on the front 9.)
                          Did you have fun?

Comment

A good walk, spoiled.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I don't think Spieth is old enough to feel the pressure of what he's doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X