Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help

My computer is getting old and seems to run pretty slow. When I go to task manager CPU usage is usually 80-100%. I assume this isn't normal ??? It says it is running over 100 processes. Is there an easy way to figure out if I can shut down any of the processes - or other tricks for speeding up the computer ? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

start googling the processes it is running (WmiPrvSE.exe or whatever). sites will let you know if they are necessary and how to stop them if they aren't.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I have generally just reinstalled windows if things like this get severe. But then it's a real pain to reinstall all of your programs.

Sort the task manager to see who the main culprits are. Programs are getting less and less efficient with resources because newer PCs have processing power and ram to burn. Browsers are especially resource hungry these days with all the embedded media.

You may have unwittingly agreed to install a Bitcoin miner or something like that. There was a story about a month ago about utorrent auto installing a Bitcoin program with or without the users permission. Found it on my PC ... called Epic Scale or something like that. It was overheating my PC like crazy.

Comment

Working...
      X