No announcement yet.

Any teachers on RJ? I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any teachers on RJ? I have a question.

I know Swampdragon is....

I mentioned before that my daughter gets headaches ( migraines ). The put her on medicine and it made her vomit, so they put her on another medicine. Anyway, the neurologist told us to take her off the 2nd medicine as it might be causing her to be really dizzy. Dizziness is a side effect of the 2nd medicine. So dizzy, in fact, that she has been essentially unable to function since last Wednesday. She can't think straight and can't even really walk without support. So, late Thursday, the neurologist's office said to take her off the medication, and that the medication side effects would clear in 2 - 3 days.

Well, she came home early on Wednesday from school, and has missed Thursday, Friday, and today.

Due to her migraines, she had already missed about 6 days of school, maybe even 8 days. So, she may have missed as many as 11 days so far.

Do schools have a limit that kids can miss? She is, as I mentioned before, in the gifted program, so she has awesome grades, but I was thinking there may be attendance issues now..... anybody know anything about that? I will head over to school tomorrow, I think, and double check, but maybe it would be better if I knew what to expect. She might miss another couple of days. And, actually, they are just guessing it is side effects. There is no official diagnosis yet.

yes they do - and it varies state to state - even districts have their own flexibilty

Let people know - administration and guidance and also have a neurologist note to back it up. Get documentation and then they can use that if needed

Her grades will help so that they wont need to make her repeat classes - but I dont know of 8th graders that even had to take summer school because of missing days

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
      I know Swampdragon is....

I mentioned before that my daughter gets headaches ( migraines ). The put her on medicine and it made her vomit, so they put her on another medicine. Anyway, the neurologist told us to take her off the 2nd medicine as it might be causing her to be really dizzy. Dizziness is a side effect of the 2nd medicine. So dizzy, in fact, that she has been essentially unable to function since last Wednesday. She can't think straight and can't even really walk without support. So, late Thursday, the neurologist's office said to take her off the medication, and that the medication side effects would clear in 2 - 3 days.

Well, she came home early on Wednesday from school, and has missed Thursday, Friday, and today.

Due to her migraines, she had already missed about 6 days of school, maybe even 8 days. So, she may have missed as many as 11 days so far.

Do schools have a limit that kids can miss? She is, as I mentioned before, in the gifted program, so she has awesome grades, but I was thinking there may be attendance issues now..... anybody know anything about that? I will head over to school tomorrow, I think, and double check, but maybe it would be better if I knew what to expect. She might miss another couple of days. And, actually, they are just guessing it is side effects. There is no official diagnosis yet.
      It varies by district. Mostly, it is tied into unexcused absences more so than excused ones. I missed 82 days of school as a junior in HS and still managed a 1.496 GPA and was bumped up to a senior. 82 days missed was due to a major sinus infection that required a few CT-scans and surgeries to cure.

The fact I scored in the top 7% on the ACT that summer helped

Comment

Working...
      X