English language pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English language pet peeves

1. People saying 1 in EVERY 10 people. I heard an ad this morning that said 1 in EVERY 10 Americans suffer from hearing loss. That means I can't find 10 people who don't suffer from hearing loss. The word EVERY is ridiculous in this. Just say 10 percent or leave the EVERY out.

2. People saying VERY first as in: I was the VERY first person to arrive. If you were the first to arrive, you can't get any more first. You can be VERY fat, VERY rich, or VERY tall, but if you are first, you are not VERY first.

End of rant.

i like this thread alot.

i like it more then elD's threads, whose content is sometimes not always they're, and whose titles belay there content. but their always interesting.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
      i like this thread alot.

i like it more then elD's threads, whose content is sometimes not always they're, and whose titles belay there content. but their always interesting.
      I'm annoyed when people type "alot" instead of "a lot".
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

i like this thread alot.

All your capitalized letters are belong to us....
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
          All your capitalized letters are belong to us....
          sheesh - i got a "D" in there! what more do you want?

what i *really* hate though is when folks overuse ellipses...

EDIT: to fix my own grammar - heh. (well, really punctuation, but what's a '?' between a few friends???)
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

sheesh - i got a "D" in there! what more do you want?

EDIT: to fix my own grammar - heh. (well, really punctuation, but what's a '?' between a few friends???)
            Is once alot*?

* - for DJBeasties
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
              Is once alot*?
              better then never :O

Comment

better then never :O
                Supposably

Comment

Lets see if I can break all the peeves at once...

SUPPOSABLY 1 IN EVERY 10 PEOPLE IS THE VERY FIRST PERSON TO DRIVE OTTER ALOT CRAZY...

Comment

When people say Cheerio or put unnecessary u's in words like favourite
                    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

I could care less about this thread!

Comment

Also when people type "ect" instead of "etc." and when they abbreviate Wednesday as "Wen"
                        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Big fan of the ellipses...

Things that drive me nuts:
                          anyways
                          valentimes day
                          breakfastses
                          a mute point
                          a complete 360
                          "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
                          ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Originally posted by netboy47 View Post
                            breakfastses
                            i thought only hobbitses said that? .

another in that vein is "untracked" vs. "on track". sports announcers seem particularly vulnerable to that gaffe.

Comment

there should be a full day in High School English class dedicated to "Your/You're" and "There/Their/They're" and "Knowing When and How to Use Apostrophes."

Comment

Working...
                              X